Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I ask to be demoted and where do i stand with pay?

Options
  • 17-06-2014 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,

Just looking for a bit of advice, I manage a betting shop and it is causing me a lot of stress so much so the extra money is not worth it so is my employer obliged to demote me if asked to do so and would I be entitled to the pay that I was on before I took up the managers position

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You can always ask but they don't need to oblige; in terms of salary it would be down to what ever they decide to offer you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

If you've been there a while etc, then you have a better chance.

Have you identified the parts of the job that cause you stress, and have they offered you any training to help you with new skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Of the managers I've seen seriously stressed in their jobs, 80% just weren't delegating down stuff and trying to manage every detail themselves..

Get those round you to carry some of the burden...

Remember, managers manage, workers work.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭crayon80

If you're asking to be demoted, do you mean back to your old job? Be careful in case it's filled already and they tell you it's the managers job or none.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 shar1445

blindsider wrote: »
    If you've been there a while etc, then you have a better chance.

Have you identified the parts of the job that cause you stress, and have they offered you any training to help you with new skills?

It's more to do with the abuse I receive from customers rather than the job itself, just feel it's not worth the hassle any more and I can't seem to pick up a new job and I don't want leave without another job lined up

• Advertisement

shar1445 wrote: »
    It's more to do with the abuse I receive from customers rather than the job itself, just feel it's not worth the hassle any more and I can't seem to pick up a new job and I don't want leave without another job lined up

Is there any reason why they're giving hassle?

I'd have thought that the simplicity of a bookies would mean there is no abuse from customers (if you win, you collect - if you don't, you don't).

Are the bookies trying to not pay out, or changing odds or such that would annoy customers and turn them away?

If so, maybe look at sorting out those issues?

Not that I know much about it (as I don't gamble), but if it were me, and I'd gotten a managers job (assuming the money was decent), I'd sit it out for a while. Try and effect changes for the better. Six months from now it could be a cushy little number and you'll be wondering why you ever wanted to leave (I acknowledge that's a little over simplified and idealistic, but you get what I'm trying to say).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Is there any reason why they're giving hassle?

I'd have thought that the simplicity of a bookies would mean there is no abuse from customers (if you win, you collect - if you don't, you don't).

Jayzis, that's more than a little naive. I'm guessing you've never worked retail or front-line customer service? Customers can be complete and utter arseholes, and addicts can be unbearable if their luck isn't with them. Managing a bookies would be an extremely unpleasant job and I dont blame the OP for wanting to leave the responsibility to somebody else.

I'd recommend you at least ask about stepping back down again, OP. Worst they can say is no. They're not obliged but if they're anyway decent they'll try to accommodate ya somehow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Couldn't hurt to ask, and I wouldn't be surprised if they obliged to the best of their ability. You were obviously good enough at your previous position to earn a promotion, and if you're having this much difficulty at the new position, you won't be great at it. So it's in their interest to get you back to the level where you're at your most productive, and if you're lucky they'll see that.

If they do demote you, they'll most likely put you back on your previous salary, maybe the starting salary for that position if that's lower. You might also torpedo your chances of ever getting promoted again, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭raher1

You could share out the work load, you must have a committed member of staff who will who do a job properly.

shar1445 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just looking for a bit of advice, I manage a betting shop and it is causing me a lot of stress so much so the extra money is not worth it so is my employer obliged to demote me if asked to do so and would I be entitled to the pay that I was on before I took up the managers position

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement