Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handing in notice but going on hols in two weeks..

Options
  • 12-06-2014 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Might be handing in my notice next week ( I am required to give 4 weeks notice).

However I am going on holds in 3 weeks which essentially means I would only be giving two weeks notice as I have already booked a 2 week holiday with current employer from the 5th of July to the 19th of July.

Where does this leave me????

I am in public sector and they are pretty strict on rules and crap like that. Also I want reference and don't want to tarnish reputation in anyway. For me tis just bad timing really but where do i stand legally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It leaves you at risk of having your leave cancelled, if you do not have an adequate plan for how your handover can be completed in one week. Get busy planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

It leaves you at risk of having your leave cancelled, if you do not have an adequate plan for how your handover can be completed in one week. Get busy planning.

Really?

They can do that? They'll never let me simply go in the space of 2 weeks in here - nothing to do with workload (I can have my handover ready in about 20 minutes I'd say).

I presume you are saying I can't simply say 'I am finishing up in 4 weeks and unfortunately due to bad timing that actually means I am finishing in 2 weeks). What about the fact they approved leave and Ive paid for flights and all that jazz?

Dammit - I forked out 900 Euro for flight to Thailand and tis non-refundable.

I am bollixed basically am i?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Has your leave been approved already? I think you've to be given x amount of notice before leave can be changed, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Check out www.citizensinformation.ie

Eoin wrote: »
    Has your leave been approved already? I think you've to be given x amount of notice before leave can be changed, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Check out www.citizensinformation.ie

Yes my leave has 100% been approved.

I really thought I would be ok in and i could simply say 'here are my 4 weeks and unfortunately due to timing tis going to be really 2 weeks'.

However I am open to people telling me different and knowing the public sector they probably have their ass covered somehow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm not sure what this text actually means - I've italicised the relevant text.
    Taking annual leave
    It is for your employer to decide when annual leave may be taken, but this is subject to a number of conditions. Your employer must take into account your family responsibilities, opportunities for rest and recreation that are available to you and to consult with you (or your union) at least one month before the leave is to be taken. In addition, annual leave should be taken within the appropriate leave year or with your consent, within 6 months of the relevant leave year. Further holding over (also known as carrying-over) of annual leave at your wish is a matter for agreement between you and your employer.

Have you worked enough hours to get the 2 weeks off by now? You might owe them some of those days if you haven't. That could just come out of your last pay check - I'm not sure what they can insist upon.
    However I am open to people telling me different and knowing the public sector they probably have their ass covered somehow.

I don't want to start a private vs public sector debate here, but if anything, I'd say that this sort of thing would be more likely to be favourable to employees.

Are you in a union?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what this text actually means - I've italicised the relevant text.

Have you worked enough hours to get the 2 weeks off by now? You might owe them some of those days if you haven't. That could just come out of your last pay check - I'm not sure what they can insist upon.

I don't want to start a private vs public sector debate here, but if anything, I'd say that this sort of thing would be more likely to be favourable to employees.

Are you in a union?

Interesting - I have not worked up enough time to get the 10 days I have booked off - roughly I'd say I am entitled to about 7 off so far.

Not in a Union - I'd say they might try hold onto me though - nothing to do with work but they will make argument they need 4 weeks to replace me which is rubbish really as they are just so slow at everything they do.

I honestly could get my handover ready by 2:00 today - however they are so slow at recruitment tis unreal.

I think I'll cross this bridge next week and hope something can be worked. I'd love to them F off but told old for that and want to leave on good note so to speak.

OK, so if you haven't worked up those 10 days, that could be an extra wrinkle to worry about. Some companies might just dock your final pay check, I don't know if it's at their discretion.

Are you starting a new job immediately after you return from holidays?

OK, so if you haven't worked up those 10 days, that could be an extra wrinkle to worry about. Some companies might just dock your final pay check, I don't know if it's at their discretion.

Are you starting a new job immediately after you return from holidays?

Not sure on exact date - I might try push start date out or something.

Ultimately If I lose holiday I'll just take it on the chin and be happy with getting job!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If you can move you're start date with the new employer offer to work two weeks after you come back from your holidays if it is an issue (don't offer unless they say they need you to work out your full notice).

Unless you are in a position where you are the only person with the skills necessary for the job I don't see a logical issue with them effecting your leave. The only reason probably would be your relationship with your manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dj08

What i would suggest you do is work the two weeks from the four then visit the Doctor and get signed off sick (stress) for the remainder of your notice. Go on holiday and if when asked when you are back in Ireland state that the Doctor said it would be good for your recovery if you went on holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

dj08 wrote: »
    What i would suggest you do is work the two weeks from the four then visit the Doctor and get signed off sick (stress) for the remainder of your notice. Go on holiday and if when asked when you are back in Ireland state that the Doctor said it would be good for your recovery if you went on holiday.

:confused:

The op has not mentioned feeling sick. Why would a doctor sign them off sick when they are not.

Why are you telling the op to first lie to their doctor and secondly lie about what the doctor said to them.

Op I would suggest you ignore this poster's advice.

amdublin wrote: »
    :confused:

The op has not mentioned feeling sick. Why would a doctor sign them off sick when they are not.

Why are you telling the op to first lie to their doctor and secondly lie about what the doctor said to them.

Op I would suggest you ignore this poster's advice.

I am not sick at all and would not go down that route.

Anyway it all ended up fine and there was no issue at at all by handing giving 4 weeks but having last 2 weeks of as Annual Leave :)

Advertisement