Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good VW dealers?

• 23-08-2011 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend good VW dealers in the east of the country?

Has anyone any dealings on Bradys in castleknock or Commons Road cars in Navan?

I'm buying a new car and commons road are giving the better trade in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Elessar wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend good VW dealers in the east of the country?

Has anyone any dealings on Bradys in castleknock or Commons Road cars in Navan?

I'm buying a new car and commons road are giving the better trade in.

Would you travel a bit? Newmarket Motors, Newmarket, Co. Cork are the best VW dealer I deal with.

Failing that, Ger or Gerry in Fosters, Sandyford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Buy wherever you get the best price, have the car looked after wherever gives the best service.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DougieH

Bought a 2010 Golf from Neil in Commons Road Motors earlier in the year and would have nothing but the best to say about them. Had been to a few VW garages before Commons Road and got no where near the same level of service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well I bought my own car from Bradys and had a few issues afterwards when it came to aftersales servicing.. plus they're not cheap

As for Commons Road cars, also not cheap, and I used to work in Navan too and anyone I've talked to says to avoid them. I know of a case where a brand new Sharan had a clutch go a few months in, and they insisted it was "user error" even though a independent report later showed it to be a part failure.

Personally I now get all my work done by VW Enniskillen (Donnellys) and have never had a problem.. cheaper, better all-round service and much nicer to deal with imo.

Just my own 2c mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Like Sinnotts auto in Wicklow , last year bought new car, once serviced with them. no hassle at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

He may get a lot of stick here...but the best VW Dealer I've personally dealt with is Al Hayes in Portumna. Best price by far when purchasing a new car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Tom Harvey in Thurles

Very good, very honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Monty.

A contradiction in terms in my experience.
    They're good at charging you though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

VW dealer in Newcastlewest. The best I've ever dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

R.O.R wrote: »
    Would you travel a bit? Newmarket Motors, Newmarket, Co. Cork are the best VW dealer I deal with.

Failing that, Ger or Gerry in Fosters, Sandyford.

I have priced them on several occasions for cars and they were always way out on price. In saying that they are very reasonable for parts.

Al Hayes in Portumna would get my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

I would be more inclined to go to the one with the best aftersales service recommendation rather than price of car, within reason. You need to know that you will have good back up in the event of a problem.

exador wrote: »
    I would be more inclined to go to the one with the best aftersales service recommendation rather than price of car, within reason. You need to know that you will have good back up in the event of a problem.
    Any VW dealer will look after warranty issues with the car, you don't have to have bought it from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Anan1 wrote: »
    Any VW dealer will look after warranty issues with the car, you don't have to have bought it from them.

Thats the rule allright but it dont always work. I purchased a brand new VW and when I wanted warranty work done in my local garage I had a lot of hassle getting it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Try Gerry Cumiskey Main VW Dealer he's shifting loads at the moment probably the busiest in the Country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Anan1 wrote: »

I am aware of the manafacturer warranty cover. The point that I am making is that I would be inclined to buy the car from the one with best recommended for professional customer service and puts the customer first.
    Example - my friend bought new A6 and has had a lot of problems, all covered under warranty. The level of service that he got from the aftersales was diabolical. He will never but another car from the dealer and his audi aftersales experience was terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Baybay

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Like Sinnotts auto in Wicklow , last year bought new car, once serviced with them. no hassle at all.

Dealing with them for a few years now, most recently this year and have always been pleased.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Thats the rule allright but it dont always work. I purchased a brand new VW and when I wanted warranty work done in my local garage I had a lot of hassle getting it done.
    I know what you mean, when I worked for a Dublin VW dealer years ago, they were very awkward about even booking services for cars that they hadn't sold. That said, i'd still buy wherever was cheapest and have warranty work done locally - if the local dealer causes problems then VW Ireland should sort them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

I think the point is that if you ring up a dealer saying you have problems with your car, the dealer you bought it off would naturally feel more inclined to go out of their way to try get you back on the road quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

+1 for Newmarket Motors. Dealt with them several times, always positive experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Stuart74

I bought a golf in 2004 from Newmarket Motors. Great to deal with. Had some warranty work done there and there were no problems. Also needed some advice from them when another driver hit my car. All done over phone and e-mail. Great help.

Got most of the servicing done in Fosters in Dublin. Never had any issues with servicing but seemed to be an issue with the timing once I got the belt done. The lads in sales seem grand. Ask for Dave. Managed to get a good deal when I was buying in 2004 but Newmarket offered €2000 better.

Stay away from Newcastlewest for servicing. I got 1 service done there as I was home in Limerick for a week and they could fit me in. They added an extra 10% onto the service cost when I went to pay with my credit card. The service was not as good as the previous 1 from Fosters and was also more expensive. My brother bought a golf there in 2008 and seemed to be happy. Not dealt with sales myself so can’t comment.

From my experience buying new cars, you will get a better deal from a dealer outside Dublin. I bought a new Octavia in Feb. Got a 1K better deal in Limerick and a 2K better deal in Laois. This was when compared to a new Skoda dealer in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

Nforce wrote: »
    He may get a lot of stick here...but the best VW Dealer I've personally dealt with is Al Hayes in Portumna. Best price by far when purchasing a new car.

He might be best for price but his customer service is shocking. My significant other order a Golf from him last year and was given a 12 week delivery time due to it having media kit\alarm as a factory fit option.

Two weeks before the car was due, he (or his sons) couldn't provide a delivery date and didn't have the decency to return calls. After contacting VW directly it became clear he never submitted the order. No apology, no customer empathy, just a prime example of glorified order takers that couldn't give a damn about customers.

Advertisement