Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bucko doesn't work on restrained budgets. He ignored advice given to him at Sporting Fingal and look where they are now.
    I think one has to take into account how much handier things will be for Pats and ourselves with the extreme decline of Bohs and the less extreme decline of Dundalk. With less clubs in for the best players of the greater Dublin region it will be easier to sign players on lower wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bucko doesn't work on restrained budgets. He ignored advice given to him at Sporting Fingal and look where they are now.

Fingal was nothing to do with him as such, he was manager and director of football of sorts. Gannon should have just backed his own team rather than creating one.

Buckley has BDO backing him but they "dont" have a stake in pats as it would mean NAMA gets the money.

love this league

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

we offer 36 week contracts are what ever the league is. players dont get paid during the off season. we run a tight ship. we got a lot of money from our 500 club as well as the club lotto on a weekly basis then our gate which is usually around the 2k figure with about 3-400 season tickets.have a small coaching staff of 3 including the manager.then the rest is voluntary work. large contributions come from the trust and the dsc as well as all the other draws through out the year.are treasure is excellent with the finances and was a very good business man till he retired and is very good at raising money for fund raisers. we upgraded the group for Europe at minimal cost to the club as the fans decided to leave their season tickets at home for a game. which saved the club a lot of money. theses rumours happen each off season at this stage by a club whose supporters claim to know all about every club in the league. dosnt take rocket science to know who it is..
    Btw still waiting to hear word back on our Finances that were to be investigated from last season that was claimed

We had 500 season tickets sold last year, not including secondary school season tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

stovelid wrote: »
    I would find it hard to beleive that Sligo assembled the team without a wage bill not very far off ours.

Like everybody else, I don't wish them any ill-will outside of the usual football rivalry but our income streams are clear to see: average attendance was 2,5 times theirs and we have around 250k a year coming in from membership and that's before you consider sponsorship and Euro/prize money.

Just saying.

At the end of the day, the LOI community is small and rumours are usually founded. Every round of whispering about a club in the last 10 years (including us) have basically ended up being founded.

Your squad was a lot bigger than ours though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

gustavo wrote: »
    Your squad was a lot bigger than ours though

What was your squad? Our squad was actually reduced from last year: we started with about 21, I think.

We added Ricketts, Patterson and Moore to the squad very, very late on in the season. Brush was a direct replacement for Mannus and one or two players like Gannon and Doyle came through from the youth squad but didn't play much.

The size of either of our squads is meaningless in a discussion about squad wages especially as our players are on incentive-based contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

let the rumour mill continue to fly! big increase in sligos budget confirmed
    http://www.sligochampion.ie/sport/soccer/ambitious-rovers-increase-their-recruitment-budget-2951765.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

overshoot wrote: »
    http://www.sligochampion.ie/sport/soccer/ambitious-rovers-increase-their-recruitment-budget-2951765.html

Jesus. I'd be quite worried if I was a Sligo fan.

Well either that or I'd bury my head in the sand and enjoy the ride! :D

That 25k for winning the cup is going a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

That 25k for winning the cup is going a long way.

Pfft we spend that in our annual court fees

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »
    Pfft we spend that in our annual court fees

Actually I think it's 50k for the FAI cup.

So the major squad spend is grand so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

They launched a decent title bid last year, why are they increasing the money to just do the same next season?

Why against a club with €1m European prize money, league prize money, a new sponsorship deal, twice their attendance and a hardcore membership of 400-500.

We're all jealous and Dublin-biased you see.

Really would not like to see Sligo get into trouble given the way they've kept LOI football going up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I entirely trust our current board to keep us above board and above water.

I can understand where ye're coming from given the problems suffered by other clubs over the past ten years. The major difference is simply the quantity of money being payed out.

I don't trust a word published in the champion but if indeed we have increased our budget it'll be because we can do it without risking the clubs long term future.

Thats the last I'm saying on the subject. Ye can believe whatever ye like..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I entirely trust our current board to keep us above board and above water.

I can understand where ye're coming from given the problems suffered by other clubs over the past ten years. The major difference is simply the quantity of money being payed out.

I don't trust a word published in the champion but if indeed we have increased our budget it'll be because we can do it without risking the clubs long term future.

Thats the last I'm saying on the subject. Ye can believe whatever ye like..
    i had heard the budget was being increased at least a week before i saw that champion piece and id trust me source

Funnily enough, the changes in the Champions League have kinda negated what was weirdly the only posiitve about the slashing of the Premier Division prize money which was that there was not much incentive to gamble financially to win 100k as opposed to nearly 300k a few years ago.

Now, you are basically guaranteed about 200+ k (?) in Europe no matter how you do in the second qualifying round. Plus the chance of a big name in the 3rd and the parachute into the EL play off if you get past the 2nd.

So winning the league is again something to gamble for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Actually I think it's 50k for the FAI cup.

Pretty certain it's 25k.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Pretty certain it's 25k.

You're right.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/4920/

Setanta is also 50k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dfx- wrote: »
    Why against a club with €1m European prize money, league prize money, a new sponsorship deal, twice their attendance and a hardcore membership of 400-500.

With all that you'd think yous would walk the League, Cups, etc... every year so? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

With all that you'd think yous would walk the League, Cups, etc... every year so? :confused:
    If we started "walking the league" it would be a sure sign that our playing budget is too high and a waste of money. Other clubs still can't seem to believe or understand that our model is sustainability before anything else, including next years league title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Can someone explain to me what is a recruitment budget and what relevance it has to running a football club.

• Advertisement

The last two seasons have certainly been ones of crushing underachievement it must be said.

Can someone explain to me what is a recruitment budget and what relevance it has to running a football club.

Not sure what a recruitment budget is but a playing staff budget is 65% of your annual turnover. dems the rules.

If any player ever still playing has won a league and doesnt currently play for Rovers , we linked with them.

Price....Burns....Cahill.......Seriously.....fcuking seriously!!! I reckon im faster than all 3.

I reckon Buckley has rang all 195 free agents so far, hope he has a decent phone plan.

overshoot wrote: »

Where does it say big increase? For all any of us know it might be enough for only one extra player.

The last two seasons have certainly been ones of crushing underachievement it must be said.

Do ya not think with the size and quality of your squad ye should've won the league a bit more convincingly last year?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/1206/1224308620894.html

New main shirt sponsor for Shamrock and everything is a-ok at Bohs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

edolan wrote: »
    Do ya not think with the size and quality of your squad ye should've won the league a bit more convincingly last year?

The only teams that have won the LOI by a wide margin over the last decade or so have subsequently gone bust. We have no interest in spending similar money to win the league by 30 points. What would be the point? Our profit will continue to be invested in the long term future of the club, not on players. Frankly, footballers at this level are not worth much more than we are paying them.

edolan wrote: »

We won it by four points over a club that I seriously believe is paying, in one way or another, their squad close to what we pay.

A team that seriously walked the league in recent times was the bohs one of three or four years back and I would never want us paying that price for players.

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=2021

Three more from last season re-sign for the Reds.

CiaranC wrote: »
    The only teams that have won the LOI by a wide margin over the last decade or so have subsequently gone bust. We have no interest in spending similar money to win the league by 30 points. What would be the point? Our profit will continue to be invested in the long term future of the club, not on players. Frankly, footballers at this level are not worth much more than we are paying them.

Could yous not just go bust again, then get the debt written off again? :rolleyes:

Could yous not just go bust again, then get the debt written off again? :rolleyes:

Just like you would have if you could.

I think I prefered it when Cork and Derry were copping the full glare of your righteousness down in the graveyard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just like you would have if you could.

I think I prefered it when Cork and Derry were copping the full glare of your righteousness down in the graveyard.

There's five years (count em) of Rovers hate to be unleashed.

Just you wait.

Shels fans would explode if we got a 16 team premier.

dreamers75 wrote: »

:confused:

Eh, 12 team PD was announced.

Des wrote: »
    There's five years (count em) of Rovers hate to be unleashed.

Just you wait.

Looking forward to it. Sure wasn't the last competitive game for Rovers away to Shels a win with only 9 men :)

And in his defence, CSF has been doing his bit in the meantime.

Looking forward to it. Sure wasn't the last competitive game for Rovers away to Shels a win with only 9 men :)

And in his defence, CSF has been doing his bit in the meantime.

You're forgetting Shels rampage in Tallaght Stadium in the Leinster Senior Cup (in Papa Johns pre match eating pizza witha few Rovers players :) ):cool:

You're forgetting Shels rampage in Tallaght Stadium in the Leinster Senior Cup

I still haven't got over our tragic exit from that stellar trophy alright. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Classy as always. Top to bottom it seems
    dreamers75 wrote: »

Righteous indignation Id say. They are the pillars of virtue afterall. Of course, they would not have the words to fully express themselves so they will probably make a banner saying something classy like "Fúck Them All".

Lovely club.

Looks like I'll have to dig up all my old crap photoshopped images of St Shels (Patron saint of virtue) for next season. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

In fairness I thought we all accepted that Shels fans hold the moral high ground on all of us. I expect to see all the Shels fans out protesting outside the dail if the government were to announce some form of mortgage write down. It'd be only right of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

00034-Jersey-MLB-Angels.jpg

New Shels away jersey revealed.

iregk wrote: »
    In fairness I thought we all accepted that Shels fans hold the moral high ground on all of us. I expect to see all the Shels fans out protesting outside the dail if the government were to announce some form of mortgage write down. It'd be only right of them.

Nah, we'd only protest against cheap rents for council tenants. ;)

Zebra3 wrote: »
    cheap rents

I wish.

Any rightly so, pity only a small crowd witnessed that amazing evening!

pity only a small crowd witnessed that amazing evening!

Don't worry.

You should break the 1000 fan barrier now youse are back up.

:pac:

I actually wanted to win that cup!

Out to Bohs as well this year. I heard it is what convinced Obafemi Martins to move to Rubin than Rovers.

Rovers fans leaving at full-time from Dalymount this season, not bothering to watch extra-time, only shows how hard the defeat was to take..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Out to Bohs as well this year. I heard it is what convinced Obafemi Martins to move to Rubin than Rovers.

Rovers fans leaving at full-time from Dalymount this season, not bothering to watch extra-time, only shows how hard the defeat was to take..

In fairness we were happy because it was a great performance by our kids who will no doubt be getting snapped up by clubs around the league now :(, we wont be going on about it for years like Shels are tho.

bohsman wrote: »
    In fairness we were happy because it was a great performance by our kids who will no doubt be getting snapped up by clubs around the league now :(, we wont be going on about it for years like Shels are tho.
    Eh theres a decent enough chance you won't even exist in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

CSF wrote: »
    Eh theres a decent enough chance you won't even exist in a few years.

Eh, thanks for the heads up.

bohsman wrote: »
    Eh, thanks for the heads up.
    So get rid of your 'we're too big to celebrate the little trophies' ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'm embarrassed for any Shels fan who think that's an achievement to win. It's a minnow cup which ressie teams should play in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement