Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good horror movies to buy

Options
  • 03-02-2003 9:50pm

Im looking to buy some horror movies and I was just looking for some suggestions.
    I have all the classics allready and want to expand my DVD horror collection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Well i just hired out this little known Spanish production based on the story Dagon by H P Lovercraft, as you guessed the film is called Dagon too. It was probably one of the worst films of the year in a technical sense, piss-poor acting and a dodgy screenplay in true B-movie form but i found myself watching it three times! If you're into a more gritty and atmospheric horror movie rather than your teen bopper Scream type then i recommend it!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

The 2 candy man films were very athmospheric!
    Evil deads!
    Bones is a good new horror flick with black peole!
    Lord of ilussions a godd C barker flick!
    Any gorge A remero flick.
    Firghtnight!
    Or any horror flick made in the 80`s. thats when they new how to make horror flicks!

Ah i could list loads, but then life is short! Espicialy in a Horror Movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

http://www.zombiekeeper.com/reviews/bestinhorror.html

There's some real prizes in there, and everyone should have a couple of them on video and/or DVD.

But seriously, zombiekeeper.com is the best horror review resource out there. Totaly, and unreservedly endorsed by yours truly, because quite clearly, I simply cannot find fault with their reviews. These guys are the real know-it-alls, and it shows.

Just browse through the review index, and you'll see what I mean. They review REAL horror films, with none of the teen-horror junk of recent times. Thankfully that trend has seemed to have died out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The American Werewolf in London "boxset" is really nice. Nice DVD package, nice extras, and a great film!

Excellent mix of horror and comedy. Very good.

I believe you can get Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead in one DVD boxset aswell. Must have. I cannot stress this enough.

Evil Dead (1) is out here now aswell on DVD, a special edition. Order the Evil Dead 2 Anchor Bay edition if you can. Lots of great extras and it comes in a collectable tin. Ditto for the Hellraiser/Hellraiser 2 kit (also Anchor Bay, in a tin).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

The American Werewolf in London "boxset" is really nice
    Order the Evil Dead 2 Anchor Bay edition if you can. Lots of great extras and it comes in a collectable tin

I have the 2 above as koneko suggested. Both great boxsets esp the evil dead collectors edition.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the suggestions. Must get The Evil Dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

Heres a late 70s movie that all real zombie-movie fans adore:

George A. Romero's "DAWN OF THE DEAD"

- Day of the dead isnt as good, but its slightly more gruesome, night of the living dead, and return of the living dead are decent. The most gruesome one ive ever seen is "brain dead" a must see
    :D

I love the bit in Brain Dead where he uses a lawn mower to kill the zombies.
    Any one know if Bio Zombie or Death Island are any good.

Bio Zombie = Teh Win
    Death Island = Teh Lose

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yaaay Bio Zombie. So funny.

Also: Return of the Living Dead 3. Really cool. Weird. Sick.

• Advertisement

Yeah, definetly a brilliant film.
    Got it on DVD for dirt just before christmas...

Watched it about 3 times already.

Also, I just got The Others 2 disc 'Collectors Edition' DVD yesterday. And I've got the following ordered: Trilogy Of The Dead Boxset, Dog Soldiers, Jason X, The Beyond, and Shadow Of The Vampire. Also, gonna see if I can get Susperia, and Junk once it's out(Feb 27th). All on DVD mind you... ;)

And here's a freshly updated DVD list for all interested:
    Click Me For Hot DVD Action!

My DVD collection is so similar to yours that its scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

hmm m
    i d recomend
    THE EYE
    RING (not the new us version)
    BIO ZOMBIE
    THE EVIL DEAD movies
    no one seems to like it but it is creepy (Blair Witch)
    Night of the living dead
    Dawn of the Dead
    BrainDead
    RE-animator

Originally posted by Darko
    My DVD collection is so similar to yours that its scary.

Oooh! Post it, please.

Ill post it up tomorrow when Ive more time. Got a great bargain on Night Of The Living Dead yesterday. Only 10 euro.

Yeah, where you from?
    Because I saw the same thing here in Galway.
    Zhivago to be exact.

I would've gotten it if it wasn't for the fact that I've the Trilogy Of The Dead DVD Box-Set already ordered.

Im from Ballina in Mayo. I bought it on Thursday in Zhivago in Galway. Was up there for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

braindead and bad tatse for cheesey gore...the thing is great...evil deads....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

aw god braindead is excellent stuff! gore!

Ah, ok Darko.

If you're down here again, go to Golden Disks.
    They have "The Return Of The Living Dead" on DVD for only 12.95!!!

Just got that myself, ****ing brilliant film!
    Ends a little abruptly, but other than that, a sheer classic!!!

Dispatch..... Send... More... Paramedics...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I thought braindead was funnier than it was scary..
    Rosemarys Baby is the scariest film Ive ever seen.. next to ring.. I couldn't sleep for a week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Had a look at that site AW. Pleased to see Young Frankenstein was in there :D Damn thats a funny movie, Mel Brooks is the man. There's a real horror comedy for you, now if you'll excuse me I'm off to destroy some copies of Scary Movie.

BTW yes I will be posting in every single thread in Horror, and yes I will be including the words "... is the man" in every post. Raah.

Told you it was good, didn't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Another decent movie, just released - Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Special Edition.

This is the only film where I can remember the credits rolling, and suddenly becoming aware of the look of uh.. horror(?) that had been on my face for... pretty much the whole movie.

Advertisement