Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Maxol Bioethanol E5

Options
  • 14-07-2008 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

I see on the Maxol site that E5 is in some stations, non in Cork city,
    They say it can be used in standard petrol cars.
    Does anyone use E5?
    Any good,

Also could you mix E85 with normal petrol, like 30%E85 to 70%petrol, ie dilute the E85...

Any ideas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭abitdazed

In Canada and the states they've been running E85 for years now. The octane rating is higher than premium petrol there and the E85 was (6 years ago when I moved) cheaper too. In BC, where they do Emissions tests on vehicles periodically, a popular pastime was to fill with the E85 before the test on the belief that the emieeions would be cleaner. I don't know was this founded on any truth though. But that didn't stop people from doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭abitdazed

and mixing it shouldn't be a bother, or else they'd have to get you to purge your tank when you first filled with E85 and there'd be warning labels and so on and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Been reading Wiki, if the Bio is under 10% should be completely safe, also there is some EU directive that all standard petrol will be E5 to E10.

Might buy a gallon and mix it down to <10% for a test. But can't see any savings in doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Some countries (like Sweden) have been using E5 exclusively for a few years now on regular cars. Don't confuse E5 and E85 :pac::eek:!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

E5 is fine in any car that can use unleaded 99RON.
    http://www.maxol.ie/general-content/e5-questions-answers.html#What%20vehicles%20can%20use%20E5
    What vehicles can use E5?

E5, which contains 5% bioethanol, can be used by drivers of standard petrol powered vehicles without modifications being required to engines while also protecting the manufacturer’s warranty. Maxol E5 Petrol fully meets the EU specification EN 228 for Unleaded in accordance with the terms of EU Fuel Directive EC 98/70 revised to provide for biofuel content in Unleaded Petrol. Maxol E5 will thus have the same fuel quality and integrity as standard unleaded petrol.

E85 cannot be used in standard cars & I wouldn't put it in even in low ratios just in case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I use E5 all the time. Great fuel. Seems to give the car a perkier range to move into. Local Maxol has the cheapest fuel around, so getting better value, better performance and better for the environment. No losers here! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I find i get more mileage from E5 than on standard unleaded on my JDM car, although I believe the opposite is the case on most non JDM cars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I find i get more mileage from E5
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

kbannon wrote: »
    E5 is fine in any car that can use unleaded 99RON.
    http://www.maxol.ie/general-content/e5-questions-answers.html#What%20vehicles%20can%20use%20E5

E85 cannot be used in standard cars & I wouldn't put it in even in low ratios just in case!

they say it can be used in any car which is a standard petrol, but you say it can't? how come? im confused just wondering would it be ok in the gf's 00 1.4 astra?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

According to Maxol's website, they only recommend that designated flexi-fuel vehicles use E85, such as volvo/saab/ford focus. From what I remember though, the savings you make on buying E85 (98.9c pr litre), are offset by a similar negative mpg that it gives...granted CO2 is significantly lower, but in the grand scheme of things globally, this doesn't really make any worthy difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

patrickc wrote: »
    they say it can be used in any car which is a standard petrol, but you say it can't? how come? im confused just wondering would it be ok in the gf's 00 1.4 astra?

E5 (5% bioethanol, 95% unleaded) can be used in any car that runs on unleaded.
    E85 (85% bioethanol, 15% unleaded) can only be used in flexi fuel cars such as the focus, saab, volvo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

Neilw wrote: »
    E5 (5% bioethanol, 95% unleaded) can be used in any car that runs on unleaded.
    E85 (85% bioethanol, 15% unleaded) can only be used in flexi fuel cars such as the focus, saab, volvo's.

deadly thanks for the info

Advertisement