Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Upload Speed Increase to 20 meg

Options
  • 15-10-2014 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

Hi

my horizon box just did an update and i noticed my upload speed is now 20mg anyone else notice this ? my speed below on wireless

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3834304946.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Which package? I'm still on 10 ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

pm. wrote: »
    Hi

my horizon box just did an update and i noticed mu ul speed is now 20mg anyone else notice this ? my speed below on wireless

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3834304946.png

I assume you mean 20mb your speed test shows over 60mb what package are you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

im on the 200mb noticed my ul has gone to 20mb. the dl speed is slow because im using the laptop wireless. unplug your box it will up date

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3834402374.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Rebooted their 20 minutes ago and it's now running at 20Mbps upload. Let me be the first to say.

It's ABOUT TIME UPC!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

That's just to ensure that there's no differentiating feature on eircom's FTTC service (20mbit/s upload was a bit of a coup for a while). UPC could have just offered 25 to spank them a bit.

• Advertisement

yep reboot takes 7/8 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Is there anyone here on the 120Mb package that has a speed increase to 12Mb or are you still on 10Mb.

I was actually checking UPC the other day to see if the speeds had been increase to match UPC.nl. They are all on 10-percent upload ratios. I wonder if UPC are doing the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

3834514496.png

I must say UPC are in my very good books today. Three new HD sports channels and now this. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

This is over wireless - not bad UPC, not bad! :-

Download Speed: 201929 kbps (25241.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 20882 kbps (2610.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 9 ms
    Jitter: 1 ms

This is over wireless - not bad UPC, not bad! :-

Download Speed: 201929 kbps (25241.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 20882 kbps (2610.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 9 ms
    Jitter: 1 ms

Thats wireless :eek: didnt realise wireless could reach that speed most I get is 90meg dl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Alan will be furious

Wireless AC can (I've an asus AC66U) and I'm in the next room too :)

Wait for AC version 2 which you'll see on the shelves next year. It supposedly doubles the throughput on version 1. But as always with wireless, I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

Google wireless ac 'wave 2' for more info, or wait for wireless AD. But you could be waiting a few years.
    Thats wireless :eek: didnt realise wireless could reach that speed most I get is 90meg dl

On 120/10 getting 121 and 12 now where it used to be around 10.5, hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

ED E wrote: »
    Alan will be furious

Exactly what I thought what I seen this. Vodafone is cheaper, though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

On 120/10 getting 121 and 12 now where it used to be around 10.5, hmm

That is disappointing, they really need to go to 20mb/s on all their products, given Eircom offers 20mb/s on all theirs.

bk wrote: »
    That is disappointing, they really need to go to 20mb/s on all their products, given Eircom offers 20mb/s on all theirs.

These "Free" upgrades have been phased before where it took up to 10 days for all to get them IIRC, wait a little and see what happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Alan will be furious

I got a great chuckle when I seen this.

You know me so well ED E haha.

I still don't regret joining Vodafone over UPC and probably won't, well unless UPC start offering 500/50 or something crazy like that, then it's time to cry a little.

But seriously this made me laugh so much.:pac:

Anyway, definitely time for me to sleep now!:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Exactly what I thought what I seen this. Vodafone is cheaper, though.

I. Am. Absolutely. Fuming.

....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Calibos

An Xtra 2mbit upload on the 120mbit service. Whoopde..feckin...doo UPC. Hate to seem ungrateful but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Eircom definitely had* a better balanced product. UPC should have matched or surpassed Eircom on the upload speeds long ago. In reality both products are excellent now. However, If I was in charge in UPC I would have done 200 x 40, 120 x 20 and 60 x 10.

I want a fibre connection next though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Praetorian wrote: »
    However, If I was in charge in UPC I would have done 200 x 40, 120 x 20 and 60 x 10.

Actually I think it needs to be something more like 250/30, 150/25, 100/20

60/10 isn't good enough, when Vodafone are offering 100/20 for less money!

It will be crazy if the 120 mb product only gets bumped to 12mb/s upload. That is still slower then Eircom for a lot more money.

So just rebooted my router, I'm on the 120mb/s product and now I'm getting 12.5mb/s upload according to the UPC speedtest and 11.5mb/s upload according to speedtest.net.

So it looks like the 120mb/s product is upped to 12mb/s only!

Ok, so any free upgrade is welcome and just last year when I was stuck on 16/0.5 ADSL2+, I would have killed for even a 2mb/s upgrade. However time changes and I believe UPC need to have minimum 20mb/s upload on all their products to match the same on Eircom.

Frankly Vodafone 100/20 for €35 is still a lot better value then UPC 120/12 at €44

Wireless AC can (I've an asus AC66U) and I'm in the next room too :)

Wait for AC version 2 which you'll see on the shelves next year. It supposedly doubles the throughput on version 1. But as always with wireless, I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

Google wireless ac 'wave 2' for more info, or wait for wireless AD. But you could be waiting a few years.

Could I connect this to my horizon box and disable the wifi on the horizon box ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Got bumped to 122/12 too.

No complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Interesting response on this issue from a UPC Rep on the UPC forum.

They're probably stress testing their HFC/nodes to make sure there's no issues before they commit.

Yep but your devices will need to have AC as well to get the AC speeds. Otherwise you'll only get whatever speed the device is capable of... N or G.
    Could I connect this to my horizon box and disable the wifi on the horizon box ?

Frankly Vodafone 100/20 for €35 is still a lot better value then UPC 120/12 at €44
    Hmm, I seem to have a bit of an anomaly here.

I signed up for Fibre 50 Chat in February (at €37 per month) and got the new modem. I was initially on 50/5 but was bumped up to 120/10 during the summer. Just rebooted again after seeing this thread and I'm now at 120/12. Fibre 50 was advertised as unlimited but the current 120 package at €37 specifies a 30GB cap.

So I'm paying €37 for unlimited 120/12? :)

Might be worth noting that Vodafone are now enforcing a 300GB cap but I know I'd never reach that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Without even needing an AC wireless card in my laptop, my current setup is an Apple Airport Extreme and a Macbook Pro with N wireless.
    My wireless speeds reach 200Mb speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Calibos

Brothers laptop reports 150mbit connection on N but run a speedtest.net over the wireless and it still maxes out at only about 30mbit throughput. Everything to do with wifi needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Advertisement