Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom Efiber weird problem

• 21-08-2014 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Ok so I have a weird problem that I hope someone has run into before with eircom. Got the efiber and evision installed 3 months ago, 100M line and with the tv on I was getting speedtest results of 85M. When downloading a file or torrent I was also getting 8-8.5 meg a second.

I started to notice about 2 weeks ago that although my speedtest results would come back with 85M if I was to download a file it would top at 2.2 or in around there. Torrents would be the same and sometimes connection would drop as low as 65kb to a complete standstill.

Nothing has changed on my side, I always had the eircom modem bridged and my netgear handled everything. Issue is still the same with eircoms one reset and directly connected to it.

Had the engineer out today and he changed ports on the exchange and tested the line, Everything seemed to be good. Suddenly the dsl would not connect and they had to drop the speed down to get a stable connection untill a new router is sent to me..

Has anyone any idea why my actual downloads would be so slow when everything else is ok, Youtube can stream without buffering ect..

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Check for disk overload at the bottom of your torrent client.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

My connection was similar I didn't put much pass on it tbh until the installer tried to connect me to evision. In an act of desperation he replaced the router and the connection has been perfect since.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

It's not just the torrents that have the problem. It's downloading through chrome or Firefox aswell. My torrents don't upload either. I'm hoping the new router fixes the issue but was also hoping someone else has had a similar issue.

The engineer also said since eircom introduced vectoring they have had nothing but trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

gramo wrote: »
    The engineer also said since eircom introduced vectoring they have had nothing but trouble.

I'd say it's more to do with people getting greedy and wanting more and more from their line until it becomes unstable. Eircom raised my profile from 50/15 to 70/20 yesterday, not much change in speedtests yet but at the first sign of instability and I'm going back to 50/15. I think a new router will sort you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Vectoring has been a huge success, as can be seen by the stats reported here on boards. There has been a ten fold increase in a lot of peoples speeds in terms of what they had with ADSL. Without vectoring, the increase in crosstalk from more fibre connections at the cabinet would have caused havoc. Eircom have been one of the first companies to introduce vectoring in Europe. Its inevitable that teething problems would surface. From what iv'e been hearing problems are minimal.

Just wondering what kind of actual download speeds does everyone get? Ever 10 meg converts to 1meg a second download. Is anyone on the 100M getting 10M sec download??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

gramo wrote: »
    Just wondering what kind of actual download speeds does everyone get? Ever 10 meg converts to 1meg a second download. Is anyone on the 100M getting 10M sec download??

Have done, but you'll need a high end CDN on the other end to push that. You wont get it on some random FTP server somewhere in Kentucky.

ED E wrote: »
    Have done, but you'll need a high end CDN on the other end to push that. You wont get it on some random FTP server somewhere in Kentucky.

I understand that but microsoft servers and big company's should be able to push that out. I had the tech support guy trying to question where I am downloading from. There is specific servers to download files for testing your speed and such that can push that speed out

2 months on and still have the same problem. Speedtest coming back good but file downloading is still maxing out at 2.5meg

YouTube videos and other streaming services are now buffering and I still can't understand why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I'm once again having problems on youtube and twitch.tv every evening. The twitch.tv problem seems to be because they route me to their fra (france) servers, when a stream is served from lhr (london) it's normally OK.

Youtube has now once again become a real problem, "auto" during the day is 1080p, of an evening "auto" often drops to 480 or 360, and even then buffers, despite the fact that I can switch to another tab and see 30Mb/s bandwidth to european speedtest servers at the same time that youtube is performing badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Speedtest - always around 70Mb/s
    Steam download - can get up to 8MB but it fluctuates
    Vast majority of other websites, especially popular ones like youtube - buffering

Is Eircom throttling specific websites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

It wouldn't surprise me if they did use throttling software, I had some strafe issues at the weekend really slow at times and fine others but I think it was a DNS issue, I wa using opendns but switched to google public DNS and current issues resolved, if you are being connected to youtube in fr that would make me think it's a DNS issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Furp wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if they did use throttling software, I had some strafe issues at the weekend really slow at times and fine others but I think it was a DNS issue, I wa using opendns but switched to google public DNS and current issues resolved, if you are being connected to youtube in fr that would make me think it's a DNS issue

Why not just use eircom dns, your providers is usually best and internal on their network and therefore prioritised for. OpenDNS and Google are just data harvesting

So after reseting my modem I am back to good download speeds but again like everyone else im having buffering problems.. youtube twitch IMDB and so on..

Might try changing the dns on my router to google and see how it goes

Advertisement