Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus - what is the story with buggies?

Options
  • 17-11-2013 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭

On a 39 this lunchtime and a guy with a kid in a buggy went to get on. The driver shouted out that he could only take 1. The guy then replied I'll fold it up but the driver replied I'm only allowed to take 1 in the allocated wheelchair/buggy spot and one folded up in the baggage area.

When did this come in? I knew only 1 buggy was only allowed in the wheelchair area but only 1 folded up? Is there a reason for this rule coming in?

Just to note I was on one of the smaller capacity buses on the 39 the av/ax

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

thomasj wrote: »
    On a 39 this lunchtime and a guy with a kid in a buggy went to get on. The driver shouted out that he could only take 1. The guy then replied I'll fold it up but the driver replied I'm only allowed to take 1 in the allocated wheelchair/buggy spot and one folded up in the baggage area.

When did this come in? I knew only 1 buggy was only allowed in the wheelchair area but only 1 folded up? Is there a reason for this rule coming in?

Just to note I was on one of the smaller capacity buses on the 39 the av/ax

One Occupied Buggy safely stowed in the appropriate location,all others MUST be folded and stowed.

Here's a bit of offeecial bumph on the topic....

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Accessibility/Passengers-with-buggies/
    You should be able to board any low-floor bus with a buggy. If the driver thinks that it is too crowded for you to board safely, he may refuse you boarding. The driver will not ask anybody already travelling to get off the bus to make room.

There could be several reasons for this particular occurence,perhaps the Driver had already had a buggy-issue before you arrived on the scene and was acting to prevent a reoccurence ?

Perhaps the Driver was aware of some space issue which was upcoming...a Wheelchair user at a further stop perhaps....?

Once folded,a buggy is simply another item of passenger luggage,and as with Tins of Paint,Bicycle Frames/Wheels,Suitcases etc I will attempt to evaluate just how much room is available to allow for it to be SAFELY catered for...If I think it can't be carried SAFELY,then I will act appropriately.

As for the SHOUTING bit,sadly I find that normal levels of speech are largely ineffectual when attempting to inform a customer of something which they do not wish to hear,or if personal audio devices are in use...so DIRECT,CLEAR and often LOUD speech is often necessary ;)

So,in this instance I would suggest that a SAFETY issue was at the root of whatever infringement you suspect occurred ? :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement