Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TaxSaver ticket question

Options
  • 01-10-2013 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

I got my first TaxSaver ticket today. It's a monthly DART and Bus Short Hop. Only problem is that it's one of the ancient looking magnetic strip ones. I'm convinced the machines will stop accepting it within a week.

Do you think I could bring it into Dublin Bus and exchange it for a RFID one? They seem to last way longer in my experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Dont bend it or get it wet and keep it away from credit cards and mobile phones and it will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Bumpy bump because I didn't think this question warranted a new thread.

I got the next months one and it's the same, but this one doesn't work *at all* in the Irish Rail machines. It just spits it back out, every single time. It worked 3 times on the bus but this time the validator spat it out and it said "No More Journeys" (?) and printed a big "INVALID" across the front.

This is really ridiculous and is actually quite inconvenient having to show the station guy my ticket so that he can open the barrier every time.

Anyone have this problem? Did you just live with it or is it a faulty ticket? Bit ridiculous that it didn't work from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bumpy bump because I didn't think this question warranted a new thread.

I got the next months one and it's the same, but this one doesn't work *at all* in the Irish Rail machines. It just spits it back out, every single time. It worked 3 times on the bus but this time the validator spat it out and it said "No More Journeys" (?) and printed a big "INVALID" across the front.

This is really ridiculous and is actually quite inconvenient having to show the station guy my ticket so that he can open the barrier every time.

Anyone have this problem? Did you just live with it or is it a faulty ticket? Bit ridiculous that it didn't work from day 1.

Talk to your ticket supplier. http://www.taxsaver.ie/Live-Contact/ From 1 November, they were mean to be smartcards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Happens to me every month - I have the rail and bus monthly and it is the old crappy style ticket. Works for about 2-6 days and then stops. At this point I usually exchange it for one of the touch-on ones at dublin bus hq and all is fine thereafter, until next month.

Not sure who is to blame - Irish rail or Dublin bus but one of the ticket validator machines is affecting the card when used so that it cannot be used on another service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

dogmatix wrote: »
    Happens to me every month - I have the rail and bus monthly and it is the old crappy style ticket. Works for about 2-6 days and then stops. At this point I usually exchange it for one of the touch-on ones at dublin bus hq and all is fine thereafter, until next month.

You can exchange it at DB HQ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Yes. The one issued at the start of each month is a irish rail rail and bus paper ticket with mag stripe but there is never any issue with me changing for free for a dublin bus rail and bus ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Work have confirmed they will get the tax saver monthly tax saver ticket but my question is how much will it cost me a month?

How much do you actually save?

Would those of you who already have it mind sharing how much it costs you monthy? Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Go to http://taxsaver.ie/Ticket-Calculator/Ticket-Calculator/

This will tell you exactly what you need to know - there is a large range of tickets all with different prices, so everyone will give you a different answer!!

Basically you save the tax (at your marginal rate), PRSI and USC on the cost of the ticket.

Advertisement