Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worlds tallest building to be built in 90 days!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

A great bunch of scaffolding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Wow! Won't happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Holy crap, be like one of the Mega City towers in Judge Dredd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Hopefully they're better a constructing buildings than they are at trains.

Grayson wrote: »
    Hopefully they're better a constructing buildings than they are at trains.

They're not

http://gizmodo.com/5304233/entire-new-13+story-building-tips-over-in-shanghai/gallery/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

They already did similar project in China, check youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

What's this a builders estimate, let me guess they'll be round next Tuesday to start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That building will flatten a city if it topples over like that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

but it's not built in 90 days, just erected. how long have they been building it off site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

UNDERESTIMATE THE CHINESE AT YOUR PERIL. Good day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Absolutely brilliant. $1500 per sqm, fast, strong, brilliant. Behold the future of construction. It's more like 270 days of work compressed - 24 hr working and no lead times are quoted for the pre-fabrication works, those could take a while... but still a fantatic way to build. Makes sense to me anyway. I'd say a lot of major construction companies are doing a lot of head scratching and studies:D

Wow! Won't happen!
    I bet it will. There's millions if not billions riding on it. (as opposed to the finished product, which will have thousands riding in it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Worlds tallest building in 90 days ?. Bah, a Celtic tiger developer could build 90 units in 1 day with the worlds largest paper trail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Those guys could have replaced Liberty Hall in 2 weeks.:pac:

How great would it be to live in one of the other, identical blocks still standing! I can hear the estate agent now -"No, totally safe, that one was a fluke, never happen again in a million years..":D But in fairness, that block was very skinny, and them piles look very skimpy. Surely the Broad groups efforts are a hell of a lot sturdier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I wonder how many political prisoners will happen to be "working" in it the day it collapses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

What an ugly and dull building. By all means build bigger but make something that stands out and is unique. Something memorable and fitting of the world's tallest title, not some scaled up skyscraper from the early 1900s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

They do have the manpower to do, so it is possible to build that skyscraper in 90 days, whether it is safe to live or work there is another matter

1ZRed wrote: »
    What an ugly and dull building. By all means build bigger but make something that stands out and is unique. Something memorable and fitting of the world's tallest title, not some scaled up skyscraper from the early 1900s.

It reminds me of that monstrosity in Pyongyang.

I doubt they care too much about aesthetics anyway.. the fact that they want to do it in 90 days suggests that it's more a show of ability than necessity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Wrong.........someone said they are having a huge election in 90 days...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

galwayrush wrote: »
    Those guys could have replaced Liberty Hall in 2 weeks.:pac:

After a 17 year wait to hear back from planners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Imagine the elevator needed for a building that tall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not really 90 days if it's all fabricated off site and lego'd together.

Even if they do pull it off it will be like so many other massive building projects china has done - entire vacant cities that just show up out of nowhere just to justify the existence of their construction industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Tom Cruise is gonna be all over this for his next Mission Impossible movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It looks like a giant Hawkins House. Horrible thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There was nothing pinning that thing to the ground! It doesn't seem to have any foundations at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

mfceiling wrote: »

Misread that as "huge erection" and I was thinking "China?!"

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Doom wrote: »
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57552186-1/developer-reaffirms-plan-to-finish-worlds-tallest-building-in-90-days/

One can only shudder at the speed and type of construction been used here, I'd say the safety records will be well buried :confused:

Wonder if its plane proof???:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Looks like that's going to escalate quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

There really is a horrible 1980s look about it. I understand that's it's built that way to make construction as cheap and fast as possible but I have to wonder will the China of 20 years look on it as an embarrassment.

There really is a horrible 1980s look about it. I understand that's it's built that way to make construction as cheap and fast as possible but I have to wonder will the China of 20 years look on it as an embarrassment.
    I don't think China's big on embarassment. If they suddenly become that way, they might have bigger things to be embarrassed about, executions and stuff. Only a certain type of Chinese will be going, "Oh gosh, what terrible dull buildings we built". Bord Planala types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It's so ugly and pedestrian though, especially in comparison to the current tallest building, the Burj Khalifa. I guess creative expression and eye-catching design has never been part of the Chinese outlook in recent years, instead it's all about pushing the largest amount of people or largest amounts of cash at a project and ensuring it gets done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

It's so ugly and pedestrian though, especially in comparison to the current tallest building, the Burj Khalifa. I guess creative expression and eye-catching design has never been part of the Chinese outlook in recent years, instead it's all about pushing the largest amount of people or largest amounts of cash at a project and ensuring it gets done.

I dont think thats fair. Looking at recent years I think the most globally notable buildings the Chinese have constructed would have to be the ones associated with the Olympics. The Birds Nest and the Cube hardly lack creative expression.

CCTV building in Beijing is also pretty cool -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Central_Television_Headquarters

I'm not sure who you're comparing them to? The world are breathing down heavy on China for human rights and the quality of living, I don't think they're wrong to be sprouting up buildings as quick as they can to better house their population or serve their economic needs.

I don't think it looks that bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I dont think thats fair. Looking at recent years I think the most globally notable buildings the Chinese have constructed would have to be the ones associated with the Olympics. The Birds Nest and the Cube hardly lack creative expression.

CCTV building in Beijing is also pretty cool -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Central_Television_Headquarters

I'm not sure who you're comparing them to? The world are breathing down heavy on China for human rights and the quality of living, I don't think they're wrong to be sprouting up buildings as quick as they can to better house their population or serve their economic needs.

I'm just saying that there's obviously a correlation between the need to get that building completed in 90 days and its absolutely dull LEGO block-style design.

As for the Birds Nest, CCTV building and the Cube, all were designed by architect firms overseas (admittedly, the Burj Khalifa was too). This wasn't, which is why its built for necessity rather than actual creative expression, which seems to be the overall thinking towards most projects in China.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

thing that always amazes me is that building stayed intact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

mfceiling wrote: »

election communist China :confused:

What sort of Election might they need to have in a communist country then?
    :D

Anyway the Communist party have already this year had their once in a decade party meeting which choose the new president and standing committees etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

1ZRed wrote: »

Agreed, a very ugly building. Just an enlarged version of these cookie-cutter designs that make Chinese cities difficult to tell apart.

Pottler wrote: »
    I don't think China's big on embarassment. If they suddenly become that way, they might have bigger things to be embarrassed about, executions and stuff. Only a certain type of Chinese will be going, "Oh gosh, what terrible dull buildings we built". Bord Planala types.

They dont dwell on the past so in 20 years if its an embarrasment the building will just be destroyed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

donmeister wrote: »
    UNDERESTIMATE THE CHINESE AT YOUR PERIL. Good day.
    Having some experience with Chinese manufacturing I'd say it's more like overestimate the Chinese at your peril, or expect the thing to work for more than a week at your peril.. Basically I'm saying the stuff they make breaks really quickly so I'm not to worried.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Having some experience with Chinese manufacturing I'd say it's more like overestimate the Chinese at your peril, or expect the thing to work for more than a week at your peril.. Basically I'm saying the stuff they make breaks really quickly so I'm not to worried.

Stop going to the 1 euro shop!

Advertisement