Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Two Pcs problems

Options
  • 21-10-2014 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭

I have the following set up

Two desktop pcs connected to TP-Link AV200,the router is in the hall connected straight into the eircom point.

If i download on both pcs and add up both speeds it more or less comes up to the speed I get on various speed tests.
    Also sometimes it takes forever to load webpages.

Is this normal? Ive tried two lan connections from the router to the homeplugs and I got no connection at all

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

jeffk wrote: »
    I have the following set up

Two desktop pcs connected to TP-Link AV200,the router is in the hall connected straight into the eircom point.

If i download on both pcs and add up both speeds it more or less comes up to the speed I get on various speed tests.
    Also sometimes it takes forever to load webpages.

Is this normal? Ive tried two lan connections from the router to the homeplugs and I got no connection at all

Thanks in advance

This is exactly what you should expect, like wireless it's half duplex, unlike a cable it does not have separate strands for send and receive, it uses the same medium so it can only send or receive to one device at a time, in one direction at a time. When it's sending packets to one device it has to stop sending to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    This is exactly what you should expect, like wireless it's half duplex, unlike a cable it does not have separate strands for send and receive, it uses the same medium so it can only send or receive to one device at a time, in one direction at a time. When it's sending packets to one device it has to stop sending to the other.
    not technically true, wireless is half duplex, regular ethernet is full duplex unless configured otherwise. 1Gb ethernet is 1Gb in either direction simultaneously.

Which raises the question, OP youre talking about the speed of each PC out to the internet? as in running speed test on both simultaneously? its a shared connection so the max you will get on your line/connection is the total max no matter how many PC's you have on your lan.

However communication directly between PC's( via your router ) should be 100Mbit or 1Gigabit and duplex if you've that configured( its duplex by default on windows )

On the taking forever to load, whats your connection speed from speedtest.net? how stable is the connection? if you run a ping to boards.ie 50 times are there any errors?( use ping -n in windows ), also could be slow DNS( you'll see that on the ping test if the initial first ping takes a long time to resolve the ip address )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Sorry for the confusion.

I have a lan connection from the router to a home plug (with three connections) and then a lan connection to each pc ran from the other home plug.

I am talking that if I’m downloading @ say 7,then my brother gets 5 or so, adding up to the max speed of around 12 I get with no network activity on speedtest.net

We can’t remember this happening before and even at times it takes ages to load a standard webpage

lmimmfn wrote: »
    not technically true, wireless is half duplex, regular ethernet is full duplex unless configured otherwise. 1Gb ethernet is 1Gb in either direction simultaneously.

My understanding of the OP was that there was 3 homeplugs serving 2 pcs from the main router, homeplugs are half duplex

Two home plugs
    Two pcs

• Advertisement

jeffk wrote: »
    Two home plugs
    Two pcs

You are probably maxing out the homeplugs, av200 are not that fast. They can be handy to get a signal to areas but have their limitations and are half duplex between them (send or receive, not both at same time). Is there any way possible run a cat5 cable, you'll get a box of cat5 for the price of a decent set of homeplugs, cat5 will do gigabit full duplex

You are probably maxing out the homeplugs, av200 are not that fast. They can be handy to get a signal to areas but have their limitations and are half duplex between them (send or receive, not both at same time). Is there any way possible run a cat5 cable, you'll get a box of cat5 for the price of a decent set of homeplugs, cat5 will do gigabit full duplex

I got them a month ago so should I try and change them for another model/make so?
    Or if/when i get efibre/upc will get a good enough for those speeds that you wont notice it between two pcs?

Running a cable is not a choice, I wish it was :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Get AV500 plugs and set them up properly (no interference, nothing plugged in beside them). If possible get the passthrough model (the ones that you can plug stuff into, this helps with interference while letting you still use power). If you want to get over 100mbit throughput then make sure to get ones with gigabit ethernet ports.

Once you have that done, set up your own router with proper wifi and QoS. This will give you the best possible setup. Note that UPC do provide very good broadband, but very bad routers - so you have to setup your own network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

My understanding of the OP was that there was 3 homeplugs serving 2 pcs from the main router, homeplugs are half duplex
    ahh, sorry, misunderstood that.

managed to get or am waiting on powercity to send out the cheque refund.

can someone recommend plugs that are future proof. at the minute we are on standard eircom, but hopefully will get efibre or UPC eventually.

I need two LAN connections and don't have to have WiFi as the router in the Hall gives off strong enough WiFi

thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement