Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Upload Speed Increase to 20 meg

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Calibos wrote: »
    Brothers laptop reports 150mbit connection on N but run a speedtest.net over the wireless and it still maxes out at only about 30mbit throughput. Everything to do with wifi needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Link speed and goodput are two different things. Ignore the link speed windows reports to you. Wireless N300 can do real world 150+ though. My phone for example does 105Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Ok guys a stupid question but could i up grade my current laptop get quicker wifi ? packard Bell Easynote TK85

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

It may be possible. I dont know what the limits of your machine are, but you should be able to get an 802.11N wifi adapter, which, IIRC, works with the Cisco3925 routers... Mind you, what router do you actually have? If you wanted to get an even faster speed, one option is to use a different wifi router, one with 802.11ac, and an 802.11ac wifi adapter in your laptop... i dont know if USB2 will give you enough speed, USB3 should though... Final option is wired... If you want the best possible speed, wired is probably your best bet...

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

I replaced my wifi card with one of these bad boys.

[URL="[url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7260/dp/B00E7QGHE6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414064122&sr=8-1&keywords=intel+ac+7260[/url]"]AC 7260[/URL]

Took all of 5 minutes, I got an ac router this week and receive the full speed over wireless now.

Do some research to make sure the card is compatible with your laptop before purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭todd10k

No idea what you're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

todd10k wrote: »
    No idea what you're talking about.

Did you restart your modem - need to do so to get the higher speed

Advertisement