Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Poor For College, Too Rich For Financial Aid

Options
  • 24-11-2015 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Now don't let the title deceive you to much, I wouldn't say we are poor to the extent we can't afford food every week, the title means You can't afford college with other bills etc needing to be paid and parents earning "too much" to get financial aid.

I was wondering do people think there should be more aid for students? I'll give you an example of "Too Poor For College, Too Rich For Financial Aid"

So here is the scenario,

Today Simon was forced to take a day of college again due to not having enough money for the bus due to parents paying other stuff with xmas coming up and bills etc.

Last year he was doing a level 5 course and he was getting money from the grant, granted he was only getting "x" amount of money per month... now I'm not going to say how much he was getting but lets just say it only covered a weeks way of bus back and forth and parents can't bring him into college as it's quite far and both work. They didn't give any money to cover the fact one parent is on social welfare, which is barely any money to be honest
    ( Not to offend anyone that's on it but with bills and college for him it's not enough ).

This year he is doing a level 6 course and he handed in hes application for SUSI late, granted it was hes own fault, but it was only like a day, now he understand the waiting process that's hes own fault for handing it late that's the price he pays for doing so, but he was told level 6 students get slightly less then level 5 courses, now he have no idea if this is true of not but if that's the case then college is not going to be fee sable for him. Granted he applied only a day or so after closing date they still accepted it but it still has not been checked yet, it hasn't even got past the first stage. After months and months of ringing and them telling him about the fact he can check online and that there is a waiting list and having to take college off due to having no money. One of his parents is currently on a 3 day a week again which doesn't help.

The situation is on paper his parents earn to much so he doesn't get much of a grant meaning he is Too Poor For College, Too Rich For Financial Aid. Some people may also not get finical aid at all when they need it, surely everyone should get aid in college fees. I'm not going to bring farmers into this with them getting paid by hand so its done under the books, so please stay on topic.

So the debate is should every student get financial aid regardless of situation to avoid the above.

This topic was not created to start an argument

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

I'm sorry but the scenario you have posted above in no way reflects a family that earns too much.

Also your chosen levels in such scenario have no fees, they do have minimal costs, depending on the level 5 or 6 course.

But to add to the topic, the UK (Student Loans, get now pay later) option should be brought in for every student. This way everyone pays their own way eventually and is a much better incentive to pick a course that will inevitably get you the drive to get the career to pay it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cedric Yog

Sup08 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but the scenario you have posted above in no way reflects a family that earns too much.

Also your chosen levels in such scenario have no fees, they do have minimal costs, depending on the level 5 or 6 course.

But to add to the topic, the UK (Student Loans, get now pay later) option should be brought in for every student. This way everyone pays their own way eventually and is a much better incentive to pick a course that will inevitably get you the drive to get the career to pay it back.

The UK system sounds good, guessing that's for all levels then?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cedric Yog wrote: »
    it's quite far and both work. They didn't give any money to cover the fact one parent is on social welfare, which is barely any money to be honest

This is kinda contradictory, either both work and don't get SW or one works part time and get part wage part SW. Either way you're talking about a significant monthly income, especially if rent allowance is availed of.

While there are some cases where SUSI refuses applicants that "morally" should get it I'd be of the opinion that its slightly too generous. Anecdotally I know of far more students receiving too much than too little/none.

Example:
    Student from south studying in Dublin
    Single parent with low enough income
    Parent owns a second inherited house in Dublin

Student gets €700/mo plus works part time. Thats over 1k/mo with only an ESB/Gas bill to account for. Student has the life of Riley.

In your scenario maintenance should cover the distance unless its not really that far then its designed to be manageable. €40,000 income threshold really isnt that low.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cedric Yog

I agree, I know someone who was 5m walking distance from the college and was getting between 100-400 a month.. what would someone who lives that close need that money for.. no bus.. his books was paid for due to medical card.. he just wasted all of the money on food..

In my opinion in some cases people are rewarded the financial aid when its not needed as much while some are not getting it or they are getting that doesn't cover for much...

I read an article from 2013 how over 8000+ students were rejected.. quite a lot..

I mean I know many people who come from good family backgrounds yet are getting a grant when others who need it ain't getting much, the people who will be saying it's a fair system are the people who are getting over 100 euro or more a month while there are some people who need it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

TROLL
    Sorry, maybe I should elaborate more.

You post a pretty vague scenario that people respond to with some credible queries and answers.
    Then you post more "facts" about "I know" AND "I READ".
    This topic was not created to start an argument

YEAH RIGHT!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement