Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

insulation question

• 05-07-2014 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

The question is, I have 1" aero board behind the plaster board it.would it make a big differance to install insulated plaster board 50mm,to insulate the house.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

The more insulation the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

I understand that,but I am doing some work on the house,I would have to remove the old plasterboard/aero board,so would it make in worth while to replace all with 50mm,would the benfits be worth it,or just leave it as it is

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Retrovin

I had the same 1" aeroboard behind plasterboard in extension. The insulated boards made a huge difference when added. Money well spent imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Depends what you want to spend and the level of insulation you want, I presume it's a block house with 2 by 1 counter battens to carry the slab, if your doing work on the house why not just strip the whole lot off and start anew with a higher grade of insulation

Why not go with 65mm?

• Advertisement

Or even 100mm, details are a little sketchy

whupdedo wrote: »
    Or even 100mm, details are a little sketchy

Can you get 100mm insulated plasterboard slabs?

Can you get 100mm insulated plasterboard slabs?

By god you can Sir Arthur

By god you can Sir Arthur

By God they think of everything.

Thanks will just remove it and replace it with 65mm,best place to get these?.

cheers

• Advertisement

Thanks will just remove it and replace it with 65mm,best place to get these?.

cheers

Maybe a hardware store ??? I don't think you'll get them in dunnes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Maybe a hardware store ??? I don't think you'll get them in dunnes

I think lidl have them in next Thursday :):)

Get the U-value right anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I put in 100 mill boards a few years back. Best thing I ever did. For the small rooms (box room & bathroom) I had to settle for around 35 mill. Couldn't afford to lose 4" on two sides of the room.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I put in 100 mill boards a few years back.

How did you come around electrical services and getting grounds for rads?

How did you come around electrical services and getting grounds for rads?

There were no light switches on these walls. Out of all the rooms I did there was 1 socket needed extending. I used an outdoor junction box under the floor for this. No need to tell you that plastic connection blocks mightn't have been safe.

6" screws for the rad brackets. Remembering it's solid 4",if you drill in 6", put wall plug on the end of 6" screw & push into the board. Tap it in the last 2" into the concrete wall. Screw bracket to the wall. Easy peasy.
    Hope I explained that properly. ☺

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Hope I explained that properly. ☺

You did spot on, the screws you used then were 6x150s?

Its been a few years but 5x150 or 6x150 sounds about right. A handfull of washers might be needed for some brackets but I didn't have that problem. The insulation is amazing (house built in 1964 so never had any). Gas prices go up every year so I can't put my hand on my heart & swear I've saved money on heating (maybe I have) but the comfort level in my home since is brilliant.

Get the U-value right anyway.

What is a good U-value?

What is a good U-value?

Get it up to current regs at a minimum anyway.

• Advertisement

Whatever about u values, i always find its better to err on the side of caution, if you can afford 100 mm insulated board both financially and space wise, do so because you can't go back and do it again, also try and get a 37 mm board around the reveal and seal the window with air tight tape before slabbing, the more the better I say, but of course it all depends on what your willing to spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Slab the ceilings as well with an insulated board (50mm) while you are at it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 davidmullins

In order to satisfy SEAI if the house is cavity blocks built it requires 82.5mm boards if the 100mm cavity has at the least 40mm aeroboard 50mm dryline boards are required. Ultimately the choice is yours however I personally would leave the original boards in situ and lay on top with a 50mm board, use paper tape and joint filler on the joints for better air tightness and lesson cracking and then skimcoat the entire surface. Would also advise the use of Sega tape around all four sides of the window then fit the window board. If you choose to remove the original boards you will create a mess and this kind of waste is expensive to dump due to its bulk and weight.

Advertisement