Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainwater harvesting from gutter downpipes

Options
  • 29-06-2014 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have experience of fitting diverter to downpipes to harvest rainwater in a barrel? My downpipes are the square type and I'm hoping to reduce water charges by using harvested water for garden, pets, etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,905 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Gorteen wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience of fitting diverter to downpipes to harvest rainwater in a barrel? My downpipes are the square type and I'm hoping to reduce water charges by using harvested water for garden, pets, etc

Your first stop should be a plumbing trade counter. I don't know them all around the country but just to name a few : Chadwicks, Davies, heat merchants, dpl. They sell everything you will need. The first question is how much water are you going to store?
    Stored rainwater isn't healthy for the dogs. It can go stagnant after only a few days.

Collecting small amounts of water will save you pennies not pounds over a year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Gorteen wrote: »

That's only if they manage to get a meter installed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

goz83 wrote: »
    That's only if they manage to get a meter installed ;)

As sure as egggs is eggs, they're bound to meter me.... That's life!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Gorteen
    First thing to do is measure your downpipe. Is it round or square. Round is normally 68mm in diameter and square is 65mm. Depending on what you are doing with water the standaed diverter kit will let a lot of sedement into tank. If you use a P3 diverter filter it will stop a lot of the sedement getting into barrel as it diverts and filters water. When you are connecting to barrel make sure you get the barrel perfectly level where you want it before measuring for the diverter. When you buy the diverter all fitting instructions are in the pack.
    Std diverter will cost you approx € 16 and the P3 will cost you approx € 65 but it also filters the water.
    NW

• Registered Users Posts: 3 waterlizard

Its really easy, I can talk you through it, have you purchased a water butt already?

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi waterlizard,
    Please contact the office on reps@boards.ie about a Verified Rep Account for Water Lizard Munster and refrain from posting about water butts or other related issues in the meantime. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Harvesting rainwater in a barrel is a complete and utter false ecomomy unless you get the barrel and all fittings for free.

Seriously, it really is pennies you will save over the lifetime of the barrel.

Harvesting rainwater in a barrel is a complete and utter false ecomomy unless you get the barrel and all fittings for free.

Seriously, it really is pennies you will save over the lifetime of the barrel.

I totally agree.
    If it makes you feel green or that you are shortening your carbon footprint then go ahead but please don't let anyone tell you that you will save money.
    I think rainwater harvesting is a great idea & I have it myself at home but you need to think up to 5000 litres pumped up to a separate tank in the attic feeding toilets & washing machine. That's the only way you can save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

if you are looking to do it, pick up an ibc tanks and you can get the downpipe(square) diverter in B&Q for 10 euro
    URL

Done deal has the ibc tanks for 70 euro and holds around 1000 litres. It would be better that these barrels

if you are looking to do it, pick up an ibc tanks and you can get the downpipe(square) diverter in B&Q for 10 euro
    URL

Done deal has the ibc tanks for 70 euro and holds around 1000 litres. It would be better that these barrels

1000 litres is a great start. He can add to these if he feels he needs more storage. These containers are a cage. You can grow ivy or plants to camouflage the tank.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    1000 litres is a great start. He can add to these if he feels he needs more storage. These containers are a cage. You can grow ivy or plants to camouflage the tank.

a better job than these ****ty barrels. Raise the tanks up on some blocks and the flow will not be bad. 5 gallon drum cap fits them and you could drill a tap into it. This bit does the job for fitting the tap URL

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hereford

I put a 9000 litre tank underground it runs my toilets and washing machine its a good idea. try and buy ibc tanks they hold 1000 litres

hereford wrote: »
    I put a 9000 litre tank underground it runs my toilets and washing machine its a good idea. try and buy ibc tanks they hold 1000 litres
    Nice 1, I was thinking about doing something like this. I assume you pump directly from this tank to the toilets and washing machine?
    Did you have any filters to collect any crap that may have gotten into the tank?
    Had you much hassle running direct lines to the toilets?

You would pump up to another tank in the attic. This tank then fills your toilets & washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hereford

I have a pump and filter in the tank.it was easier for me to do because I built a house and done in then .it isnt rocket science I used a company in meath

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

What size of a tank would ye recommend in the attic, only I am concerned about the weight of it up there?
    Would a submersible pump like the one that was available in Lidl recently work?
    Thanks

Xantia wrote: »
    What size of a tank would ye recommend in the attic, only I am concerned about the weight of it up there?
    Would a submersible pump like the one that was available in Lidl recently work?
    Thanks

A lot of attics have 2 large tanks now. Size is up to you 65 litre to 130 litre. I didn't see the lidl pups but can't see why it wouldn't be suitable.

Thanks for that, I might look into that.
    Where I am a gravity feed would probably do the WC and Washing Machine.

Any ideas on filtering, I am looking for a UV and particle filter, and of course a pump with head to supply other services.

Xantia wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I might look into that.
    Where I am a gravity feed would probably do the WC and Washing Machine.

Any ideas on filtering, I am looking for a UV and particle filter, and of course a pump with head to supply other services.

Any good plumbing trade counter will advise you & order it in for you.

Indeed. Thanks.
    Just doing mine now bit by bit.
    Getting a few IBC's.

Getting the main roof power washed, already have the gutters cleaned out.
    I have an area set aside at the side of the house where the existing gutter water is 'wasted'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

It won't be too long before we are paying for the amount of rainwater our houses are gathering and putting down the drain.
    Harvesting will be double payback then.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

whizbang wrote: »
    It won't be too long before we are paying for the amount of rainwater our houses are gathering and putting down the drain.
    Harvesting will be double payback then.

I wish I was joking but in some parts of the world you pay the electricity company for your own electricity generated with your own solar panels, and in some parts of the world it's illegal to harvest rainwater. Thankfully our lot don't seem to have thought of that yet.

Yes indeed, taking from the water table and so on.
    My aim (although it will mean little or no payment for water - which we all know that we already pay for)
    will be to reduce 'external' water consumption.
    I do have an area of the back/side of the house ready now for tanks.
    Although I am still just planning it I am looking forward from a 'water conservation' point of view in getting this going.
    I might document it as I go along and make up a blog thingy about it if it would help others.
    I am lucky I suppose in that I do have that area to the side of the house where the drainpipes are so as I can get setup there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I totally agree.
    If it makes you feel green or that you are shortening your carbon footprint then go ahead but please don't let anyone tell you that you will save money.
    I think rainwater harvesting is a great idea & I have it myself at home but you need to think up to 5000 litres pumped up to a separate tank in the attic feeding toilets & washing machine. That's the only way you can save money.

i have been using the water butt with a long time, nothing to do with savings, but it is ideal for cleaning everything outside home, as i said before, like footpaths, windows, cars, watering plants, this week i washed outside of home and painted it, when i was finished with rollers and brushes i used the water but water for the clean up, i wash mats and rugs, mops, brushes, even dogs during summer with this water,
    no need to look for hose and put it back after, i also find the water in butt a bit tepid which is ideal,
    we had a water break a few months ago for two days and i used the water to flush down toilets,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

can water from a water butt be used for pets and plants?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

my pets prefer to have their bowls filled with water from butt due to no addetives being in it, and yes it is the best water for the plants

Hi
    Ibc tanks are prone to heavy algae growth because of the clearish white colour. This colour promotes algae growth, it is not UV friendly. that is why rainwater harvesting tanks are coloured black, green, etc. If however you still want to buy get the heaviest gauge black polythene and completely wrap the tank making sure there is NO area uncovered. You must also remember 1000 Ltrs of water = 1 Tonne weight. Make sure you have a good foundation. I had to do this recently with 2 tanks for a client. The tanks were GREEN GREEN with algae before I installed them for him.
    NW

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Mamil biker

Good info There NW about the IBC's. I have access to them and was going to setup a system. Might look at prices for the large green fuel storage type ones. The plan is to have a double connection outlet so that I can divert water to seperate tank in attic for toilets and also use for washing cars etc etc from the second outlet.

Good info There NW about the IBC's. I have access to them and was going to setup a system. Might look at prices for the large green fuel storage type ones. The plan is to have a double connection outlet so that I can divert water to seperate tank in attic for toilets and also use for washing cars etc etc from the second outlet.
    Hi Tks. Few things to look at.
    1. Put good filter/diverter on downpipe.
    2. few facts - Toilet flushing, The average person will flush a toilet 5 times a day = 45Ltrs of water. Car washing - you will use approx 180Ltrs per 13 mins. washing machine will use 65Ltr per wash.

when going to attic tank put in an odour filter and 20 micron filter on line somewhere between tank outside and attic tank, You will have to re arranged some of your plumbing to do toilets only. Harvested water cannot mix with standard tap water. Also use a good pump in tanks ( an on demand pump) as it will only pump when needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Mamil biker

[quote="North West;91243844"
    when going to attic tank put in an odour filter......[/quote]

what is an odour filter, never heard of this before.

Advertisement