Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complicated SUSI appeal

Options
  • 30-11-2012 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I received a letter from SUSI today informing me that I have been deemed ineligible for a grant as I previously attended, but did not complete, a period of post-graduate study. While this is true - I completed two years of a PhD - the reason I did not complete the course was that I became very ill, was hospitalised, and had to cease my studies for a period of two years on clearly documented medical grounds. When I was well enough to return, my PhD scholarship had expired and, though I appealed this, I was unable to continue the course as I couldn't afford to pay for it myself. Not completing my previous course of post-graduate study was therefore not a choice, but a terrible unwanted reality forced on me by illness. I am considering appealing on these grounds but the appeal form states that "it is not open to the appeals officer to depart from the terms and conditions of the grant Scheme in an individual case, regardless of circumstances". This feels so unfair. I would appreciate any useful perspectives from others going through the SUSI process. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dmodonov

I should say that I included a brief letter from my doctor with my SUSI application summarising the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This is a new process.

Previously you could appeal to the Council/VEC and then go further by appealing to the Minister.

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9520/forms/index.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sleepygirl22

hi i was also deemed ineligible for the same reason but i had completed and passed my 1year postgraduate study and i had graduated too when i was told i was ineligible! i have appealed to susi appeals officer but found it tough to get any answers when i called susi! good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1 STAYSTRONG

dmodonov wrote: »
    I received a letter from SUSI today informing me that I have been deemed ineligible for a grant as I previously attended, but did not complete, a period of post-graduate study. While this is true - I completed two years of a PhD - the reason I did not complete the course was that I became very ill, was hospitalised, and had to cease my studies for a period of two years on clearly documented medical grounds. When I was well enough to return, my PhD scholarship had expired and, though I appealed this, I was unable to continue the course as I couldn't afford to pay for it myself. Not completing my previous course of post-graduate study was therefore not a choice, but a terrible unwanted reality forced on me by illness. I am considering appealing on these grounds but the appeal form states that "it is not open to the appeals officer to depart from the terms and conditions of the grant Scheme in an individual case, regardless of circumstances". This feels so unfair. I would appreciate any useful perspectives from others going through the SUSI process. Thanks.

Hi Sorry to reply so late but I think everyone is just about fed-up with
    so called stream lined operation of SUSI. Anyway, as I was doing some searching myself I decided to look up all the available documentation related to the SUSI grant application process - now I am not sure if this
    may apply to you but if you open this attachment I have sent you Chapter 1 page 3 has a provision for exceptional circumstances - I hope
    it might be of some help to you. In case the attachment does not open
    look up SUSI website and click on guidelines to awarding authority 2012 scheme. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kaflin

This is a new process.

Previously you could appeal to the Council/VEC and then go further by appealing to the Minister.

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9520/forms/index.html

That form's for appealing the decision of the Appeals Officer if your original appeal was rejected and you're still not happy.

You have to submit directly to the Appeals Officer with this form first.
    http://www.cdvec.ie/getattachment/Student-Supports/Grants/SUSI-Appeals-Form---August-2012.pdf.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 radiobandit

Hey I am in the same situation. I completed 3 years of a level 7 course but did not finish it, this was 4 years ago. Now I have started another course which is level 8 but Suzi has deemed me ineligible for the grant because of my previous course. How can I get around this and make an appeal which is ironclad? Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

The student grant scheme is a Statutory Instrument (S.I) that can change each academic year and should be consulted when making an application for a specific academic year.
    The Grant Scheme is the bylaw of the Student Support Act 2011 and therefore you should look at this about the appeals process as this does not change with the Grant Scheme year on year.

Appeals process in the Student Support Act 2011 is from this point of the legislation.

Appeals to Appeals Officers

Statutory Instrument (S.I)
    Statutory Instruments have a wide variety of functions. They are not enacted by the Oireachtas but allow persons or bodies to whom legislative power has been delegated by statute to legislate in relation to detailed day-to-day matters arising from the operation of the relevant primary legislation. Statutory instruments are used, for example, to implement European Council Directives, designate the days on which particular District Courts sit and delegate the powers of Ministers.Specified Government Ministers and other agencies and bodies are authorised to make Statutory Instruments and several hundred instruments are made annually.

source http://stephendonnelly.ie/what-is-a-statutory-instrument/

How can I most successfully appeal when the reason they deemed me ineligible is for attending but not completing a level 7 course 4 years ago. the course Im doing now is level 8. Im not applying for the maintenance grant, just the college fees grant. Any help on how I can most successfully appeal would be greatly appreciated. Ill have to drop out if it dos'nt work out so I need this more than anything in the world!

How can I most successfully appeal when the reason they deemed me ineligible is for attending but not completing a level 7 course 4 years ago. the course Im doing now is level 8. Im not applying for the maintenance grant, just the college fees grant. Any help on how I can most successfully appeal would be greatly appreciated. Ill have to drop out if it dos'nt work out so I need this more than anything in the world!

You are not eligible as you attended 3 years of an undergraduate course, it doesn't matter about the level as you did not complete the course.
    Therefore you must complete the first 3 years of your new undergraduate course to be eligible again.

aw thats a disaster. is there any loop hole at all?

• Advertisement

aw thats a disaster. is there any loop hole at all?

No loop holes.
    You can only study at Undergraduate level 6 and 7 a maximum of 4 years total and a further 4 years at level 8, but you must be progressing at all times.
    Some level 8 courses award students a level 6 after 2 years, Level 7 after 3 years and the Hons award after year 4.
    If you completed the level 7, you would have been eligible for the level 8 year 1.

You should check and see if you can get any advanced entry into your/a course based of your previous studies and this will reduce the period of study you must complete.

If you waited until a 5 year gap and not 4 years, you might have qualified as a second chance student if you met all the other criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mariecasey1

My son was in a similar situation to yourself he had completed 2 yrs of a level 8 course and then fell ill and left college , he returned home and started a level 7 course in college that has an add on year, he applied for the grant and was refused and again on appeal , the last appeal he made was to the department of education and skills i rang them first and the man i spoke to was very helpful and told me send in doctors letter re illness and any other medical stuff that was relevant and a letter from himself explaining about illness and how it had affected his education with the appeal application , i'm happy to say the appeal was successful they overturned susi refusal and he is back in college again with grant support so don't give up to easy exhaust every option and best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hellsbelles

Hi, this is my first time posting and I am not sure if I am in the right place for this.
    Anyway, I am a mature (very) who just got refused from SUSI after a 10 week wait since they had my final documents.
    The reason given just makes me so cross - "because I previously attended, but didn't complete an Undergraduate course at Level 8 of the NFQ or equivalent".
    Well here are the facts..... 35 years ago I did first year (didn't get exams etc) in Uni. It was 16 years before government free fees (which came in 1996) and my poor long suffering father paid my fees. It was also 23 years before NFQ came into being. And now after raising my kids etc I am doing my damnedest to get a qualification (I completed my level 5 two years ago which I got SUSI grant for) and went forward and started a Level 8 this September. I drive 130 km everyday to get to college and have ramped up a whole lot of debt over the previous 3 months expecting to get the grant. I knew I would qualify financially for the grant and now feel the rug has been pulled from under me and am panicking. I don't even know how much I will owe the college for this term and continuing will not be an option. When I talked to SUSI| they say it is because you have to be progressing but they had no problem with my Level 5 - obviously regressing must be ok. Rant over but if anyone has had this happen to them and tried appealing or any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate any advice.

My son was in a similar situation to yourself he had completed 2 yrs of a level 8 course and then fell ill and left college , he returned home and started a level 7 course in college that has an add on year, he applied for the grant and was refused and again on appeal , the last appeal he made was to the department of education and skills i rang them first and the man i spoke to was very helpful and told me send in doctors letter re illness and any other medical stuff that was relevant and a letter from himself explaining about illness and how it had affected his education with the appeal application , i'm happy to say the appeal was successful they overturned susi refusal and he is back in college again with grant support so don't give up to easy exhaust every option and best of luck to you.

Well done.

The original post was over 3 years ago but radiobandit posted a question on top of the original 3 year old thread.

They do not mention being sick in their post, only the fact that they did not finish the course and "is there a loop hole" to get around the fact they do not qualify.

There are allowances, as in your case, for students that genuinely could not complete their course or exams due to extenuating circumstances. This just doesn't cover illness, but can be a circumstance of any kind that effects the students ability to continue on their course. It does not allow for students that drop out, because they don't like their course anymore, too far from home, etc.. And as you put it yourself, you had the evidence to show what had happened in your case. A lot of students/appeals don't seem to make it because they may not be able to provide the evidence of what had happened in their circumstances.

Unfortunately it takes a longer time for these cases to be recognised and the person rightly granted their financial assistance.

Once again. Well done.

Thank you for that. I just feel so frustrated. I never thought this would be an issue as I had never used any Government free fees as my college degree course was 35 years ago. I am also so annoyed because Susi had my full documentation from 1st week of Sept and if they had told me there was a problem I could have withdrawn (reluctantly) before the October date thus avoiding incurring debt with the college. I do not know how to go in and tell the college tomorrow that the money is not forthcoming. It seems after being a stay at home mother you are entitled to nothing and home is where they want you to stay. So much for progression!

Hi, this is my first time posting and I am not sure if I am in the right place for this.
    Welcome, unfortunately not a great thread to be starting in.
    "because I previously attended, but didn't complete an Undergraduate course at Level 8 of the NFQ or equivalent".
    I completed my level 5 two years ago which I got SUSI grant for and went forward and started a Level 8 this September.
    When I talked to SUSI they say it is because you have to be progressing but they had no problem with my Level 5.

You wanted to attend your new level 8 as a second chance student.
    To qualify to be a second chance student, there must be a break in your studies from the level (8) previous attended to the same level (8) you now wish to attend.
    But, by you attending and completing the level 5 course 2 years ago, your break from one level 8 to your current level 8 is now broken and you do not qualify as a second chance student, no matter how long ago the previous level 8 course was and whether or not you received funding.

Had you attended a level 8 course instead of the level 5 course, you would have qualified as a second chance student.

Please note that, you only have to do first year again if that is all you attended in your last level 8 course and if you meet the criteria, you may qualify for funding from 2nd year onwards. Maybe look into a student loan to get you over first year.

Many thanks for that information. Not good news but at least it clarifies things for me. Not much point in going down the "if only" route but it just seems a really unfair system. In truth there would have been no way I would have had the confidence to go straight back to a level 8 after thirty five years at home so the level five pre -university course was a necessity. The only thing is I would have never have embarked on this new life if I had been aware that I would get no financial help. Anyway tomorrow's another day. Thanks again.

Advertisement