Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic tank ballcock replacement.

Options
  • 17-09-2008 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi Folks

I'm hoping someone could give me some advise on this. The ballcock in the attic water-tank, even when it is at it's highest point, isn't shutting off the water from going into the tank and the excess is going down the overflow pipe. I'm fairly sure that the hardness of the water as worn down or dissolved something.

My question is when this happens, what has to be replaced, a washer, a valve the whole ballcock contraption. Is it a difficult job? What replacement parts should I look to buy? Thanks to anyone who gets back to me with advise.

Thanks
    Dakan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

dakan wrote: »
    Hi Folks

I'm hoping someone could give me some advise on this. The ballcock in the attic water-tank, even when it is at it's highest point, isn't shutting off the water from going into the tank and the excess is going down the overflow pipe. I'm fairly sure that the hardness of the water as worn down or dissolved something.

My question is when this happens, what has to be replaced, a washer, a valve the whole ballcock contraption. Is it a difficult job? What replacement parts should I look to buy? Thanks to anyone who gets back to me with advise.

Thanks
    Dakan

The most common ballcock valves are brass, with the ball arm hinged with a split pin on a spigot under the valve body. On the end of the valve is a knurled brass cap. If you turn off the water supply to the tank and take off the ball arm by taking out the split pin, you can then unscrew the end cap and pull out the valve plunger. In the end of it there will be a rubber disk that can be dug out with a small screwdriver and replaced with a new one. New rubber disks are available from all DIY stores, generally in packs of a few sizes, so get one first. Clean the plunger of any scale when you put it back.

The other possibility is that the valve is clogged up and can't close properly, but if you follow the above you'll cure that at the same time. It's a ten minute job and easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Doctor_L

Hi,

I had the same problem a few years ago the ballcock itself had filled with water so it wasn't very buoyant. I replaced the ballcock and it solved the problem.

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dakan

Thanks ART6 and Doctor_L,
    I will buy the replacement parts and give it a try this weekend.
    Is it reasonable to assume that the stopcock for the water tank will be on the inflow pipe?

Thanks
    Dakan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

dakan wrote: »
    Thanks ART6 and Doctor_L,
    I will buy the replacement parts and give it a try this weekend.
    Is it reasonable to assume that the stopcock for the water tank will be on the inflow pipe?

Thanks
    Dakan

There probably won't be a shut-off up in the attic for it... there may be one in the hot press... but typically its fed directly from the mains pressure, so you would knock it off at the main stop cock under the kitchen sink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

better to change the lot it only costs about 6 euro and your done for maybe another 20 year its easyer too :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

harly1516 wrote: »
    better to change the lot it only costs about 6 euro and your done for maybe another 20 year its easyer too :confused:

+1

I generally don't feck about with them either, for the sake of 6 euro in plumbing wholesaler.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Eugbug

Replacing the washer in the tank is a quite easy job to do. Firstly you must turn off the gate valve feeding the tank (which may be near the tank or in the hot press). Next remove the end cap from the slider valve (to which the float arm is attached) and remove the split pin holding on the float arm. Hold the arm horizontally and pull it down and out of the valve. Next push out the slider.
    You can buy a new washer or cut one from a piece of scrap rubber of suitable thickness. Push it into the slider, and reassemble the valve. Turn the water back on.
    I can't post links here, but if you look up the plumbing category on HubpPages.com, I have a step by step guide showing how to do this, with loads of photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Change the ball valve. It's as easy or easier. Don't be messing about with washers.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mosii

yes,I changed one also,just turn off water supply,and change the whole unit ,take off the ball ,and buy the valve they are cheap,screw back on the ball ,easy enough.Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Eugbug wrote: »
    Replacing the washer in the tank is a quite easy job to do. Firstly you must turn off the gate valve feeding the tank (which may be near the tank or in the hot press). Next remove the end cap from the slider valve (to which the float arm is attached) and remove the split pin holding on the float arm. Hold the arm horizontally and pull it down and out of the valve. Next push out the slider.
    You can buy a new washer or cut one from a piece of scrap rubber of suitable thickness. Push it into the slider, and reassemble the valve. Turn the water back on.
    I can't post links here, but if you look up the plumbing category on HubpPages.com, I have a step by step guide showing how to do this, with loads of photos.
    very complicate advice........and 6 years too late I fear.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement