Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas V Electricity for heating water?

• 11-05-2007 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just got a gas bill for €200. Have'nt had the heat on at all for 2 months. We use the gas (timer) for 30 mins in morning and 30 mins in evening for heating the water.

We also have an immersion with a timer that we could run off the electricity instead, but are unsure which is best - ESB or Gas.

Have tried to compare costs per unit for Bord Gais and ESB but am not sure if a direct comparison is viable. Gas is charged per Kw and ESB is charged per unit - anyone know what constitutes an ESB Unit? Have no idea if one method is more economical than the other.

Any light ye can shed is appreciated. I hate the fact that there is no transparancy for comaprison

Dools

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Dools, mine was high also this month, but I attributed this to the fact that the previous bill was estimated.
    A unit of Gas has more heating value than a monetary unit of electricity, but bear in mind that losses from the efficiency of the boiler and the pipes and cylinder will decrease this whether gas or electricity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

dools wrote:

Have tried to compare costs per unit for Bord Gais and ESB but am not sure if a direct comparison is viable. Gas is charged per Kw and ESB is charged per unit - anyone know what constitutes an ESB Unit?

The unit for electricity is the Kilowatt Hour, KWh, I thought Gas was the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Tks guys.

10-10-20 We renovated our house last summer and got a new heating system in - rads, boiler,etc. We went for a condenser boiler as we reckoned they are more efficient but appreciate there is a heat loss inherent in any system.

Our bills too are estimated. There were 6 in the family that we bought the house from - one of them being the mother's mother who was at home all day and so am sure their gas bills were high. Bord Gais are estimating our bills (this bill was €200, last bill was €400) and I'm concerned that they are basing them on the family of 6 rather than just the 2 of us that have been there for the past year. We keep dialling in our actual reading to their automated system in the hope that they adjust their estimates, esp since we've been there a year, but they keep sending us a revised bill with the original estimated reading (even though we have updated them with the actual). Am so sick of it :mad:

Aside from all of this, we were just wondering if it is more effiecient (read: cheaper) for us to heat just the water using the ESB rather than the gas for these warmer months when the heat will not be on. We have no idea...

Hoagy, thanks for that - did'nt know if they used the same unit measurement...

Think we might try using the ESB for the water and see how the bills pan out. Any other input/advice welcome...

Cheers, Dools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Don't change over to electric... it does less work for the same amount of gas.
    Look at this page for example: http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/gas.html
    Even though they are using US prices, see that in all cases gas is less expensive to perform the same function as electricity.

ok - have found some info on Bord Gais and ESB site about their costings (used basic domestic bands) :

Standing Charge P.A / Unit Cost (KWh)
    Bord Gais 308.58 / 4.091c
    ESB 87.60 / 14.35c

Therefore, if you use 3000 (our gas bill was 3417 units) units per bi-monthly bill the differences would be

Bord Gais 308.58 + (€0.04091 x 3000) x 6 (bills) = €1044.96
    ESB 87.60 + (€0.1435 x 3000) x 6 (bills) = €2670.60

Am I way off the mark here? Can I even compare the number if units used i.e. does it take less units to heat the water using ESB than Gas? Am I boring you readers to death??

Dools

• Advertisement

10-10-20 thanks for that. Our posts overlapped. Can't get into that site as it is firewalled in work ('Unsuitable content')

Hmmmmm.......may just persevere with Bord Gais and get the cnuts to sort out our estimated bills. They are way off the mark...I just can't be doing with paying €400 for a bill (estimated or not) for 2 of us who are out of the house Mon-Fri and most weekends

Cheers Mate

Dools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

The cost of heating your water by electricity assuming 1 hour per day and 2kw element (sink setting). Would be roughly €2x0.14x60 = €18 for two months.

It's hard to do this calculation for Gas because it's inherently very ineffficient to turn on the gas for short periods and heat up the boiler and all the water in the pipes before heating the water via a looped element.

My guess is that for short periods gas and electricity are around the same cost and anyway €9 a month is not worth worrying about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Gairdin nua

Folks,
    I am renovating thre house I moved to, living in a rural environment which is not on the mains gas supply and have electricity for cooking and heating but wondered at advisability of also installing a gas hob which will necessitate a large refillable tank out the back. Does anybody have experience of gas as an addition to electricity for domestic use and is it any more ecnomical? Althoiugh rural we are very rarely blighted by power cuts except in extreme weather.
    Gratefully Gairdin nua

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Folks,
    I am renovating thre house I moved to, living in a rural environment which is not on the mains gas supply and have electricity for cooking and heating but wondered at advisability of also installing a gas hob which will necessitate a large refillable tank out the back. Does anybody have experience of gas as an addition to electricity for domestic use and is it any more ecnomical? Althoiugh rural we are very rarely blighted by power cuts except in extreme weather.
    Gratefully Gairdin nua

You could just run your hob off bottled gas , no need for a bulk storage tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Don't change over to electric... it does less work for the same amount of gas.
    Look at this page for example: http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/gas.html
    Even though they are using US prices, see that in all cases gas is less expensive to perform the same function as electricity.

Irish prices here, but the trend is the same, gas is cheaper per unit but as already mentioned there are inefficiencies in running boilers for short periods
    http://www.seai.ie/Publications/Statistics_Publications/Fuel_Cost_Comparison/
    Folks,
    Gratefully Gairdin nua

As mentioned you could just use bottled gas and avoid the hassle of installing a bulk tank. However as the SEAI link shows, both bulk/bottled LPG is cheaper than electricity and bulk LPG is much cheaper than bottled LPG.
    The problem with bottled LPG is that it tends to go out half way through the Sunday roast when the nearest stockist is 10 mile away :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

The problem with bottled LPG is that it tends to go out half way through the Sunday roast when the nearest stockist is 10 mile away :P.[/quote]

That's not so much a problem with bottled gas, as it is with the owner of the bottled gas ! ;)

Advertisement