Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Few queries and tips for test in few weeks

Options
  • 11-02-2014 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

I have my test in a few weeks :eek: dont feel overly confident but trying not to let the fear take over. Anyway I am a bit of an old school driver who learned on an old car didnt keep up lessons, stuff happened let the lessons go, took more after a year and and made loads of excuses to avoid driving (why I hate it) so am in this situation now. I have a few questions in relation to the way I am driving now I am slightly better than I was few years ago but could be better.

Coasting - got into this awful habit anyone find it easy to break
    Gearbox - my Dad taught me in an ancient fiesta where you nearly had to ram the gearstick to get it in gear even though we have a newer corsa now I stick ram them even my husband has noticed that the gear stick is stiffer since I started driving (I think it's a mix of the old gear stick in the fiesta and the fear of changing gears if I dont give it a good whoosh it wont go into gear and then I'd panic)
    Reverse round corner - I looked at a few youtube videos and there is a mix of people saying when you start to turn look in rear mirror and side back mirror others look behind and side front left mirror I find the latter easier (once the side mirrors are adjusted accordingly) also my instructor says when turning keeping observing everywhere and keep turning (unless a car/cyclist/person comes) on a forum someone says when turning stop look left, right and around then continue to turn even if there is nothing/one coming. If there is no danger should I stop also if I do stop can I continue in reverse or should I switch to 1st basically I'm saying if I am reversing and stop the car can I start moving it again in reverse or will it jump does it have to go into 1st I think last few times there was nothing coming so I was just moving and looking around me. Very long winded sorry!
    Mini Roundabouts - Think it's All Saint's Road, Raheny there are 5 mini roundabouts I know the rule of approaching in two but if driving in 3 on that road (or another estate) and going straight on at a lot of them is it ok to drive in 3 instead of going 3rd to 2nd back to 3rd etc.
    junctions if anyone knows what junctions which are a little harder round the Dublin 3/5 area would be great help so I can practice them I know the Raheny village is tricky.
    It's the Raheny routes so just want to iron out a few things

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

I don't think you reverse around a corner in a test,its probably not even legal ,I would drive for an hour before your test,and drive two hours the day before

http://www.rsa.ie/en/rsa/learner-drivers/the-driving-test/driving-test-centre/pass-rates/
    I see raheny has only 43 percent pass rate that's a bit of a scam

rates in all test centers should be 60 percent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Ah you do :) the tester doesnt exactly tell you "you are now going to reverse around a corner" he says to pull in and reverse into the minor road. Maybe it's phrased different like corner reverse, reverse manoeuvre, reverse into a road to the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

I don't think you reverse around a corner in a test,its probably not even legal ,I would drive for an hour before your test,and drive two hours the day before

http://www.rsa.ie/en/rsa/learner-drivers/the-driving-test/driving-test-centre/pass-rates/

Reversing around the corner is one of the three manoeuvres in the driving test and I think most tester will have you do it during the test...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Look at your own linkie from RSA right here to find:
    The driving test for cars lasts half-an-hour to 40 minutes and includes:

Questions on the Rules of the Road (including identifying road signs)
    Demonstrating hand signals
    Reversing round a corner
    A U-turn in the road
    A hill start
    Driving approximately five miles in a variety of road and traffic conditions
    miss choc wrote: »
    I have my test in a few weeks :eek: dont feel overly confident but trying not to let the fear take over. Anyway I am a bit of an old school driver who learned on an old car didnt keep up lessons, stuff happened let the lessons go, took more after a year and and made loads of excuses to avoid driving (why I hate it) so am in this situation now. I have a few questions in relation to the way I am driving now I am slightly better than I was few years ago but could be better.

Coasting - got into this awful habit anyone find it easy to break
    Gearbox - my Dad taught me in an ancient fiesta where you nearly had to ram the gearstick to get it in gear even though we have a newer corsa now I stick ram them even my husband has noticed that the gear stick is stiffer since I started driving (I think it's a mix of the old gear stick in the fiesta and the fear of changing gears if I dont give it a good whoosh it wont go into gear and then I'd panic)
    Reverse round corner - I looked at a few youtube videos and there is a mix of people saying when you start to turn look in rear mirror and side back mirror others look behind and side front left mirror I find the latter easier (once the side mirrors are adjusted accordingly) also my instructor says when turning keeping observing everywhere and keep turning (unless a car/cyclist/person comes) on a forum someone says when turning stop look left, right and around then continue to turn even if there is nothing/one coming. If there is no danger should I stop also if I do stop can I continue in reverse or should I switch to 1st basically I'm saying if I am reversing and stop the car can I start moving it again in reverse or will it jump does it have to go into 1st I think last few times there was nothing coming so I was just moving and looking around me. Very long winded sorry!
    Mini Roundabouts - Think it's All Saint's Road, Raheny there are 5 mini roundabouts I know the rule of approaching in two but if driving in 3 on that road (or another estate) and going straight on at a lot of them is it ok to drive in 3 instead of going 3rd to 2nd back to 3rd etc.
    junctions if anyone knows what junctions which are a little harder round the Dublin 3/5 area would be great help so I can practice them I know the Raheny village is tricky.
    It's the Raheny routes so just want to iron out a few things

Get yourself some lessons with a Qualified Instructor - will be more than well worth it for knocking bad habits out of you! It did for me anywhoo :)

~ Coasting:
    I've been roasted so many times through the years for doing this, my instructor pulled a blinder to have me lose this habit. It is all down to practice, practice and practice though. You will be pulled on it on d-day of test so force yourself to practice not doing this and using your gears as they are meant to be used.

~ Gearstick:
    Ah would you stop with the ramming. Seriously should be no need for that. Be gentle with your mechanics and treat them well. Learn to use them properly and you'll ease off the Ramming, as you put it. It's all down to practice, having more confidence in the vehicle you are driving and trusting it will ease into place.

~ Reverse Around Corner:
    When getting lessons, have your instructor go through this with you, time and time again. You will need to keep practicing this. They will go through technique and precision with you; get rid of all bad habits you have picked up and teach you how to do this correctly and safely.

Lessons & More Lessons with a Qualified Instructor. Trust them and Listen to them. Study all notes given to you about your own driving <= Most Important. Everyone will have notes from their lessons, but they only refer to their own driving habits and what they need to do to become a better & safer driver.

I am not familiar with the Dublin routes you refer to so maybe someone who has been tested on those routes could assist you with those precise examples/areas.

Try and Invest in Lessons with a Qualified Instructor, going through those variety of routes and scenarios,
    Safe Driving out there,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Check out the Irish School of Motoring youtube vids. Watch all the video multiple times. Take notes and practice and you'll pass at your ease.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheISMNationwide?feature=watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 SalEB1990

I'm going on to attempt no 4 in Raheny... but I have greatly improved since that first time. I've gone from 24 grade 2s (you read right) down to 2 grades but sadly also 2 grade 3s today!!! So close.

There are so many routes in Raheny so just get practicing as much as you can. In between lessons my dad and I go driving around, I've got lost numerous times but it has really helped me get to know the area. I always find the junction at the station house particularly difficult.

Oh and the hill start if you're stopped at the traffic lights at the dart station in Raheny is tricky enough!

There is also a left turn at the end of the Howth Road onto the Greendale Road (which leads up to a roundabout) that I find tough as it is around a bend and down hill.

All Saint's Drive down to Watermill road is a very tight junction and visibility can be pretty bad sometimes so you really have to take your time (this is where I got my grade 3 today :/).

Hope this is of some help and best of luck :-)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Thanks for the encouragement it's great there is a lot of support out there. When I'm out driving most people are courteous and aware of learners others are ignorant gob****es. One day I was at the Artane roundabout coming from Brookwood about to go straight on as I approach a guy indicated left then in a split second took off indicator and went straight in front cos I panicked at his wrong indication the driver behind me was getting impatient and beeped me I was in an instructor car :mad: A complete and utter thick beeping at an instructor car I cant stand people like that just because they are driving million years in their big cars that gives them the authority to own and control the road and do what they want to other vunerable drivers it's so rude to beep at an instructor car. My instructor said to ignore him/her as they are not worth it but it did cut me up a bit what with the scary roundabout and the downright arrogance of that driver. I guess the more confident I get the more I can ignore those morans. No matter how long you have been driving you should always have good driving etiquette.

Advertisement