Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rte and Humax box

Options
  • 27-04-2015 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey Folks

I just bought the humax hdr-1000s, is it possible to get the Irish channels on it ? My old box had a separate connector and showed the sat channels with the irish ones.

Cheers

Scott
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sat only, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭scottpr1

Hey mikom

http://www.freetv.ie/humax-hdr-1000s-freesat.html

so it says

"It does not contain the Irish Channels i.e. you will still need an a TV aerial to get the Irish stations"

I have a seperate aerial and this had a separate connector which i could connect into my old box, but the humax does not seem to have the connector

Many thanks

Scott

• Registered Users Posts: 20,665 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Plug the aerial cable directly into your TV set. This should get you all the terrestrial stations which the combi box did. Combi box is the jargon for a combined satellite and terrestrial receiver.

If your TV set is Saorview approved you will get the terrestrial stations in the Saorview format.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭scottpr1

Hey Folks

Unfortunately i am using a projector so this isn't an option, so the humax is not a combi box ? Are we saying the there is no way to view the Irish channels via the humax box ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Well......if you want a much larger dish fitted with two lnbs and a diseqc switch.......multifeed. The old Foxsat HDR is capable, dunno about the HDR1000S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

scottpr1 wrote: »
    so the humax is not a combi box ?

That's correct, it's a Freesat satellite receiver, Saorview receiver required for the Irish channels

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

scottpr1 wrote: »
    Hey Folks

Unfortunately i am using a projector so this isn't an option, so the humax is not a combi box ? Are we saying the there is no way to view the Irish channels via the humax box ?
    One option is to get a saorview box

3 port HDMI switcher with remote
    http://www.buyincoins.com/item/58687.html €6.24

If the projector has blue VGA input like a monitor then cheap n' cheerful
    http://www.buyincoins.com/item/18138.html €5.62

use paypal delivery takes about a month

As pointed out above saorsat on the Humax is an option too , but more work , and it gets messy if you try to record from both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭I swindled the NSA

The Cush wrote: »
    That's correct, it's a Freesat satellite receiver, Saorview receiver required for the Irish channels

With an additional dish and suitable LNB It could be used for Saorsat surely :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

With an additional dish and suitable LNB It could be used for Saorsat surely :confused:

How well does a Freesat receiver work with a twin dish/LNB setup?
    The easier option with all channels would be Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Only some FreeSat boxes support diseqc and even then some need hacked firmware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

That's not much good if the person would like TV3 and 3e.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

I have a Humax foxsat HDR system

Its way better than a combi box

You need a twin KA LNB along with the quad output ku band lnb

Two Diseqc switches

Set up a solid (not mesh) dish with a dual feed horn for 28.2 east and 9 east

Some people recommend setting if for the 9 east satellite - I actually set mine to 28.2 east - If rain fade occurrs during heavy rain, I'd sooner it was rte that was affected over english tv. (i've an 80 cm solid dish and have never experienced rain fade)

Connect one feed of the ka band and ku band lnb to one diseqc switch and connect to first input of humax foxsat satellite receiver

Connect second feed of ka band lnb and another feed from ku band lnb to the second diseqc switch and connect to second input of foxsat satellite receiver

reset the foxsat box to factory defaults

Load the latest version of the custom software

The box will automatically confirm both feeds as diseqc switches

Do a freesat search
    Do a saorsat search

login to the web interface via laptop and add saorsat channels to the freesat guide

Congratulations you can now:

record a freesat uk channel and watch an irish or other freesat uk channel
    record an Irish channel and watch another irish or other freesat uk channel
    record up to 5 channels at a time on the humax hdr 1
    Get 7 day epg on all channels (irish and uk)

The only item is you loose TV3 and 3e as they're not on saorsat - but I'm not sure thats much of a loss against the gain of a very flexible PVR!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Andy454 wrote: »
    Some people recommend setting if for the 9 east satellite - I actually set mine to 28.2 east - If rain fade occurrs during heavy rain, I'd sooner it was rte that was affected over english tv. (i've an 80 cm solid dish and have never experienced rain fade)

Presumably you realise the dish can also be aligned to a position between 9 & 28 east, & both LNBs offset, given a suitable bracket?

Yea fair point, but longevity and resistance to storm damage is what I would go for.

I would have the dish and centre lnb aligned to 28.2 east, I usually mount a stand-off bracket attached to the arm for Rte, this way if it blows off, rusts and falls off or if a particularly heavy bird lands on it (there are some very heavy sea gulls out there) and knocks it out of alignment, there is a higher chance that at least the main feed will continue to work. I would treat RTE as a complimentary service rather than the main event!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Would one of these indoor aerial's pick up Saorview ok?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1086920/Trail/searchtext%3EANTENNA.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Depends entirely on signal strength and quality at your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Delta Lima

Andy454 wrote: »
    I have a Humax foxsat HDR system

Its way better than a combi box

Congratulations you can now:

record a freesat uk channel and watch an irish or other freesat uk channel
    record an Irish channel and watch another irish or other freesat uk channel
    record up to 5 channels at a time on the humax hdr 1
    Get 7 day epg on all channels (irish and uk)

Andy, I have a similar setup to you and am using Raydon's custom firmware with a Humax Foxsat HDR. But I don't have the 7 day epg on the RTEs.

In fact, they don't even show now and next, in 'Freesat mode' for me. Are you sure about that? I must be doing something wrong. I have to set recordings manually through the web interface for any RTE channel.

Can anyone else confirm what Andy has said here? Thanks

Yea - it took some fiddling to get the rte epg running in freesat mode
    I will have a look tonight at what I did and post instructions

Advertisement