Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Sky + HD box for FTA

• 24-04-2015 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭

Years ago I had a sky box that was no longer in subscription. I could pick up all the FTA channels on it by simply taking the viewing card out and it essentially became a UK box.

Just tried it with a newer black HD box and it doesn't work. Does anyone know if it is even possible to be able to get the box to think it belongs in the UK?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Seve OB wrote: »
    Years ago I had a sky box that was no longer in subscription. I could pick up all the FTA channels on it by simply taking the viewing card out and it essentially became a UK box.

Just tried it with a newer black HD box and it doesn't work. Does anyone know if it is even possible to be able to get the box to think it belongs in the UK?

Simply purchase a ftv card for the box, this will return 101 as bbc 1 etc, and will also give u a couple of extra channels such as sony tv, sony movies, motors tv as well for free...

cost usually less than €10 over on adverts...and other auction sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

steveon wrote: »
    Simply purchase a ftv card for the box, this will return 101 as bbc 1 etc, and will also give u a couple of extra channels such as sony tv, sony movies, motors tv as well for free...

cost usually less than €10 over on adverts...and other auction sites.

cheers
    do you have to get the card paired with your box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bulbs2010

no you dont have to get it paired

No if it's activated just put in it and ur all set. If it's not activated just leave it in for a few hrs and it activate itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

steveon wrote: »
    No if it's activated just put in it and ur all set. If it's not activated just leave it in for a few hrs and it activate itself.

Can you record with this card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,319 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Jpmarn wrote: »
    No.

But you can buy cards on Adverts.ie for example that will allow you to record the FTA channels. It would set you back about €50 or more.

Jpmarn wrote: »

No you usually can't record with them but I beleive u can get some that do record but usually cost more

cheers guys
    was going to get one of those cards, but actually found an old one i had from donkeys years ago up in the attic this evening.... works a treat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Nsewell

cheers guys
    was going to get one of those cards, but actually found an old one i had from donkeys years ago up in the attic this evening.... works a treat

Be warned, if the HD box is updated to the R011 software the PVR features will stop working with the blue house cards in that box.

Nsewell wrote: »
    Be warned, if the HD box is updated to the R011 software the PVR features will stop working with the blue house cards in that box.

Cheers, tea that's the card I have.
    Are they rolling out that update to all boxes? Mine is a year old and left plugged in all the time and WiFi linked. It works fine (for now) but maybe they only roll that update out now that I have that card plugged in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Nsewell

Cheers, tea that's the card I have.
    Are they rolling out that update to all boxes? Mine is a year old and left plugged in all the time and WiFi linked. It works fine (for now) but maybe they only roll that update out now that I have that card plugged in

It's rolling out to all DRX890 & DRX895 Sky+HD boxes as well as DRX595 SkyHD boxes.

If you go to SETTINGS > SYSTEM DETAILS and the version number starts with 4f31 or 4f70 then your box will be updated at some point.

The box would only need a viewing card in it in order to update if they were targeting that individual box, such as with BETA software etc.

Ok so box version is 4f3128

I guess I'll probably loose the signal so at some stage.

Interesting to note though, the blue house card has been in for about 48 hours. my box froze there as I was mucking around with it so I just took out the card and turned box off for a few mins. When I turned the box on again, it seemed to think it was in the UK even though I have no card in it!

However favourites aren't working...... But I guess that's for another thread

Nsewell wrote: »

Actually what are the PVR features you speak of? What does PVR mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,319 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Actually what are the PVR features you speak of? What does PVR mean?
    PVR = Personal Video Recorder. Basically you will loose the ability to record on the box without a Sky sub.

muffler wrote: »
    PVR = Personal Video Recorder. Basically you will loose the ability to record on the box without a Sky sub.

Is that all? So in that case it will be fine as the whole point of this thread is that I have cancelled my subscription and am just on FTA/FTV

Advertisement