Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Download from sky

Options
  • 21-04-2015 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Does anybody know how much the sky box uses in the amount of downloadable data ? Every night more "stuff" is downloaded to my hard drive.

My internet provider gives me unlimited but 40 GB permonth is whats on the contract i go well beyond 40 never been charged so not a issue there.

Just want to get a rough estimate on how much sky uses because i have allot downloaded that i will never use and sky don't give you a choice in what they fill your hard drive with. would be good if we could turn of certain programs or films we do not want automatically downloaded to our box.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

dickieh wrote: »
    Does anybody know how much the sky box uses in the amount of downloadable data ? Every night more "stuff" is downloaded to my hard drive.

My internet provider gives me unlimited but 40 GB permonth is whats on the contract i go well beyond 40 never been charged so not a issue there.

Just want to get a rough estimate on how much sky uses because i have allot downloaded that i will never use and sky don't give you a choice in what they fill your hard drive with. would be good if we could turn of certain programs or films we do not want automatically downloaded to our box.

You can switch this off. You need to disable pushed on demand. I can't remember the exact steps, but if you do a quick google you will find it.

Sorry I meant on demand downloads. You need to turn this off.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭dickieh

Yes thanks done that now will be interesting to see what i now get over the next week.

Keep an eye on it and let us know if it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

None of that will have any effect on your broadband usage.

The Pushed On Demand service on sky boxes uses does not use your broadband at all.

It basically records the programmes from a hidden satellite channel at times the box is not in full use (mainly overnight and daytime).

The only content that the box sources through your internet connection are those you request through the normal On Demand service.

• Advertisement

Turned off on demand downloads but haven't seen any difference in whats available ! why have this choice ? really couldn't find
    any difference. Apart from it down loading at nights and making a bit of a noise !

Vic_08 wrote: »
    None of that will have any effect on your broadband usage.

The Pushed On Demand service on sky boxes uses does not use your broadband at all.

It basically records the programmes from a hidden satellite channel at times the box is not in full use (mainly overnight and daytime).

The only content that the box sources through your internet connection are those you request through the normal On Demand service.

What is a Hidden satellite channel ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

dickieh wrote: »
    Turned off on demand downloads but haven't seen any difference in whats available ! why have this choice ? really couldn't find
    any difference. Apart from it down loading at nights and making a bit of a noise !

The choice remains the same when you're browsing.
    The difference is, were you to try and watch it now it would have to download it through your internet connection rather than being able to play it instantly from the internal drive when pushed on-demand is turned on.

Advertisement