Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bus Éireann routes (general)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

I was told that the 109 route was on trial until the 31st of August. So are bus eireann going to change it again? I hope that they exclude the airport drop-off and revert to the old route. Well maybe take the port tunnel out when the bus is full.

I also saw a 171 bus go through Virginia there yesterday. It was heading for Dublin Airport. I may be wrong but I only caught a glimpse of it. I have never seen this route before.

Does anyone have any info on this route or the 109 route?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 cavancola73

well i do hope they make some changes....that journey to the airport is a waste of time....when you have every bus in city going there and you have an hourly bus from navan at the best of time is nearly empty....!! plus i feel sorry for anyone working in navan or dunshaughlin that has to get off in kells and wait for 30min for a connection and vice versa!!

COME ON BUS EIREANN has anyone there got any common sense at all!!

ROLL ON PRIVATISATION thats all i can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

Changes on route 109 are thankfully in the offing:

http://northernsound.ie/news-details.php?nid=7367

I'd be inclined to think that the new timetable will entail dropping some/all of the Airport calls (that's just a personal opinion).

I'd say the coach going through Virginia showing "171" had an error on the display. Bus Éireann route 171 was withdrawn around 2004 and operated Monaghan – Carrickroe – Emyvale - Glaslough - Monaghan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Geog1234 wrote: »
    Changes on route 109 are thankfully in the offing:

http://northernsound.ie/news-details.php?nid=7367

I'd be inclined to think that the new timetable will entail dropping some/all of the Airport calls (that's just a personal opinion).

I'd say the coach going through Virginia showing "171" had an error on the display. Bus Éireann route 171 was withdrawn around 2004 and operated Monaghan – Carrickroe – Emyvale - Glaslough - Monaghan.
    Who is responsible for the new timetables? Are they still produced by Bus Eireann as it seems like they are made up by some computer program or some foreign company.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

Don't know but would be inclined to think Bus Éireann. If for instance a computer program is being used to plan the general pattern of the timetable, finer details still need to be checked/amended by staff with first-hand knowledge of the places/areas concerned.

• Advertisement

There are a few obvious mistakes with the new Dublin-Waterford timetable where times from Carlow to Dublin are cut back to just over an hour:eek:

There is also no peak time busses serving Carlow or Waterford and no busses to get people into dublin before 9am as well as no services from Carlow to dublin between 4.15pm and 7.15pm. Dont expect to get to Waterford before half ten in the morning or Carlow before 9am even if you work here!

Bus Eireann management seem to have decided that serving the Airport is more important than serving the people that use this service.
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1307702391-4.pdf
    174123.JPG

here we go again bus eireann.....messing about with the 109 timetables as if people were not confused as it is!! why can they not do a survey by people who actually use the service and get their opinion and maybe put some sort of representative on the route and decide what the best options are, instead of some over paid ejit in dublin deciding to do this or that!!

personally scrap the journey to the airport its a complete waste of time there is enough buses to the airport, and perhaps have every odd hour bus going on the motorway from virginia to dublin via the matar and every even hour bus take the old route so least people will have the best of both worlds.

Common sense is all that is needed.

my god imagine bus eireann using a computer program to organsie a timetable and bus connections!!! is that why on their current timetable buses are scheduled to arrive at the certain time and never come on scheduled and are always half hour late!!

now doesn't take a computer to figure that one one..

my god imagine bus eireann using a computer program to organsie a timetable and bus connections!!! is that why on their current timetable buses are scheduled to arrive at the certain time and never come on scheduled and are always half hour late!!

now doesn't take a computer to figure that one one..
    Even if they asked drivers for some input before messing around with penpushers that have no experience with bus companies they would get most of the information they needed but that would be too sensible.

That Red Cow stop on the Waterford route is never used by drivers as they know they always stop at Newlands Cross where people want to get out. nobody wants to get the Luas from Red Cow and it can be got at Heuston without delaying the bus and endangering customers by negotiating the narrow and very tight corners with the red cow stop.

The managers went crazy and instead of tweaking the times and providing a good peak time service and some late night airport busses they have forgotten their passengers!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

An interesting piece on Bus Eireann's website:

http://www.buseireann.ie/news.php?id=1006&month=Sep

The interesting extract is at the bottom:
    Bus Éireann plans to introduce further X Expressway services over the coming months along other main motorway corridors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Even if they asked drivers for some input before messing around with penpushers that have no experience with bus companies they would get most of the information they needed but that would be too sensible.

That Red Cow stop on the Waterford route is never used by drivers as they know they always stop at Newlands Cross where people want to get out. nobody wants to get the Luas from Red Cow and it can be got at Heuston without delaying the bus and endangering customers by negotiating the narrow and very tight corners with the red cow stop.

The managers went crazy and instead of tweaking the times and providing a good peak time service and some late night airport busses they have forgotten their passengers!

Does the red cow stop not provide connectivity for people who want to get to Tallaght/Citywest?

Does the red cow stop not provide connectivity for people who want to get to Tallaght/Citywest?
    The Heuston station stop does that and if that is the reason behind it then ALL coaches coming in along the Naas rd should be using the red cow park and ride both entering and leaving the city! Currently the Waterford route is the ONLY route timetables to use Red Cow Luas(but it doesn't!).

What I am saying is that at the moment all coaches stop at Newlands cross because that is where people want to get out for clondalkin and tallaght, none of the Waterford services stop at the luas park and ride unless as happened with one bus the driver is unfamiliar with the route and follows a senseless timetable.

Why would bus Eireann chose to use some dangerously located park and ride for the luas when no passengers want it when there is a purpose built bus bay at Newlands cross a place that customers want to go to or board from?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thearticle

It's suits in Dublin offices setting timetables for nationwide routes. You think they've ever had to travel these routes or depend on them for basic transport needs? Not a hope!
    BÉ are heavily subsidised by the taxpayer and still can't make a profit. They dictate to the private operators and heavily influence the granting of licences and continue to make their lifes hell.
    BÉ are not there to facilitate you or your needs, they are second rate and forget about logic when it comes to timetables!
    Bus Éireann + Bus Atha Cliath + Iarnrod Eireann = CIE
    Need I say any more???

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Magicschoolbus

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any1 knew of a way to get more details about the exact route a bus takes (i.e. 223)? I am starting work in ringaskiddy and it would be helpful to know the bus route so I can look for accomodation near the bus route

Advertisement