Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuning Saorview and Sattelite on a TV with twin tuner ??

Options
  • 27-04-2015 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have a Samsung H6700 Series 6 TV with twin tuner.

I have 2 cables going into the 2 satellite ports on the TV and then the Saorview cable going into the 3rd TV point (aerial) on the TV.

My problem is when I do an autotune on the TV I have to select Satellite or Terrestrial and so when I select satellite I get the 300 freesat channels but I don't get the Irish channels .

They come in alright but no picture or sound and a message comes up saying I need to insert my CI card,

I don't want to go down the road of having to get a different satellite dish that will rotate and so pick my Irish channels up on SaorSat

Is there a way of tuning in my saorview and satellite channels on this TV together

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

dermot1977 wrote: »
    I have a Samsung H6700 Series 6 TV with twin tuner.

I have 2 cables going into the 2 satellite ports on the TV and then the Saorview cable going into the 3rd TV point (aerial) on the TV.

My problem is when I do an autotune on the TV I have to select Satellite or Terrestrial and so when I select satellite I get the 300 freesat channels but I don't get the Irish channels .

They come in alright but no picture or sound and a message comes up saying I need to insert my CI card,

I don't want to go down the road of having to get a different satellite dish that will rotate and so pick my Irish channels up on SaorSat

Is there a way of tuning in my saorview and satellite channels on this TV together

You wont get the RTE on satellite, you will simply pick them up but they will be scrambled, only way to get them is via the Saorview tuner, but like most tv's you cannot put them all in one list, there is usually a button to switch between either the saorview or the satellite.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You need to set the TV to UK. Tune in the satellite as Freesat. Tune in the TV using Aerial, assuming you have an aerial connected to the aerial input. The Saorview channels are going to be in the 800s, and are in random order together with 38 blank channel headers and a couple of SSU channels. You can reorder them as you wish.

It is a pita.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dermot1977

I can tune both but I can't get them on the same channel list, I need to go in to the TV menu and change from satellite to terrestrial and vice versa anytime I want to watch either, bit of a inconvenience but if that's the way it has to be ....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

dermot1977 wrote: »
    I can tune both but I can't get them on the same channel list, I need to go in to the TV menu and change from satellite to terrestrial and vice versa anytime I want to watch either, bit of a inconvenience but if that's the way it has to be ....

This due to the way Freesat is licensed. It is a pity (or is that a PITA) but there it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

This due to the way Freesat is licensed.

It's not solely to do with Freesat, satellite & terrestrial would still be separate no matter which country you choose for setup. It's just the way the TV is configured.

If the OP was finding RTE in his original satellite scan, it wasn't even set up in Freesat mode anyway. (Assuming it's even a Freesat TV at all, the Freesat site lists the 48" & 55" versions but not the 40" .)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

The Samsung H6700 is a Freesat approved TV, once it is set to UK when setting up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Freesat site only shows the 48" & 55" versions: there's also a 40", to the best of my knowledge.

Of course, we don't know which 1 the OP has, & it's not going to make any difference WRT getting all the channels in 1 list but, if it's available, getting the Freesat EPG for the satellite channels is a bit of a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

You need to set the TV to UK. Tune in the satellite as Freesat. Tune in the TV using Aerial, assuming you have an aerial connected to the aerial input. The Saorview channels are going to be in the 800s, and are in random order together with 38 blank channel headers and a couple of SSU channels. You can reorder them as you wish.

It is a pita.

You need to set it up like this. Then the trick to easy switching is to set rte 1* & bbc 1* as a favourite in their respective categories. Now watch bbc 1 for 4+hrs continuously & select it as often as possible from the smart hub menu. Eventually a shortcut to bbc 2 will appear in the smarthub. Favourite it as soon as it does. Now repeat the procedure for rte 1.

When you have both favourited you'll be able to switch quickly between both sets of channels.

*Can be any 2 channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dermot1977

It's a 48"

Advertisement