Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Gym - what do you do?

• 06-10-2015 2:25pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I joined the gym this week.

Mainly to get away from the desk at least once a day.

Googled a few bike specific routines. If you go to the gym what do you do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Spin classes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

Focus on power in the legs; squats, lunges, plyometrics, leg curls, deadlifts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Spin classes!

I did that the first time I was there. Never again. I was mank going back to the office

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

markusz wrote: »
    Focus on power in the legs; squats, lunges, plyometrics, leg curls, deadlifts.

Did more or less that yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

There's a gym on my commute to work. Cycle past it twice a day and have never once been tempted to venture inside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

To be honest, got bored. I got a bike and it's a much more interesting way to get exercise.

If I was going, I'd think that running/cross-trainer/cardio would be what I'd be looking for. Lose a bit of weight, improve the heart and breathing etc. Maybe a bit of core stuff to strengthen the middle. I don't think bulking up with weights will do cyclists too many favours on the bike.

onmebike wrote: »
    I don't think bulking up with weights will do cyclists too many favours on the bike.

You'd want to be hitting the weights at least 3 times a week and eating a heap of protein to even start to bulk up to any great degree!

Weights will increase your lean mass, and thus reduce your bodyfat, which is great for life and cycling..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

CAvvPDoUgAAyjUS.png
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,754 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

This is the best way to get the most out of the gym for cycling.

1) Cycle to the gym. If its a short distance then find a longer route and get a few hard pulls in.
    2) Upon reaching the gym location, keep cycling and put in another 1 or 2 hours of cycling with a few intervals thrown in.
    3) Return to gym to shower and change and go back to work/home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

You'd want to be hitting the weights at least 3 times a week and eating a heap of protein to even start to bulk up to any great degree!

Weights will increase your lean mass, and thus reduce your bodyfat, which is great for life and cycling..

If your goal is general health, keeping leaning then(with diet as most important factor) exercise combining strength training with cardio is probably best.

Most of the strong guys/girls in my gym, don't look strong-as in bulky- but they do when deadlifting/squating 2 times their bodyweight. Most of the bulky guys were bulky before they started.

If your going to get use out of your gym, get some proper instruction, get your mobility checked an make working on it a core part of your routine, get your form right, buy a note book.

If your just looking to kill an hour without a plan/structure you are wasting time/money and you'll be skipping it before long.

Some links in this post to good resources on strength training.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97277861#post97277861

I asked a similar question in Spring

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94512934

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Warm up on a bike (either on the way to the gym or on a stationary yoke). Do squats/leg presses, leg curls, leg extensions. If you have time do sit ups, seated rows, bench presses and back extensions. Ideally do these as circuits, with a bit of spinning on a gym bike in between. Start with 3ish circuits with 10ish reps and not a lot of weight and build from there - you can mix it up a bit once you get the hang of it - varying weight, reps, number of circuits etc.

My experience is that building strength over the winter is time well spent and that it also helps shift weight, particularly with a good balance between protein and carbs. You can also do strength stuff on the bike - seated, big gear, up a hill...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AdiDashery

onmebike wrote: »
    To be honest, got bored. I got a bike and it's a much more interesting way to get exercise.

If I was going, I'd think that running/cross-trainer/cardio would be what I'd be looking for. Lose a bit of weight, improve the heart and breathing etc. Maybe a bit of core stuff to strengthen the middle. I don't think bulking up with weights will do cyclists too many favours on the bike.

Bulking up no. Exercises to strengthen the core will pay dividends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

stay away and get on your on the bike:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Join a hot yoga class and ogle the wimmins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭JonDoe

Kettlebell Thrusters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpB9AsEZLM4

I do a varied Kettlebell routine, pick 4 exercises, minute on minute off, times 3. HIIT pulse goes to over 220, rest and again.

Stronglifts 5x5 for strength fast, legs and posterior chain main benefits. Squats three times per week, makes up for limited range of hip motion in cycling.

Yoga and swimming to repair any damage.

The plan is to structure it. 3 sessions a week and a swim.

Hopefully will be doing plenty of cycling in the morning before work as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kaiserdave

Advanced German Volume Training at the moment, that is, four exercises a day, three to five days a week. For example, yesterday included Incline Bench Press, followed by Pull Ups (10 sets of 5). Then One Arm D/B Arcs and Push Ups (3 sets of 8). Cycle for half an hour every day, and stretch and do core work for about the same. But for me, it all comes down to diet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

godtabh wrote: »
    The plan is to structure it. 3 sessions a week and a swim.

Hopefully will be doing plenty of cycling in the morning before work as well.

Sounds like you oculd be persuaded to come to the darkside too, just need to add in a few runs :p

I know it was said jokingly earlier but Yoga is great for injury prevention especially if your doing strength exercise which shorten your muscle fibers.

A lot of the p90x exercises are great for core strength

http://eatcleanmakechanges.tumblr.com/Ripper

Lots of planks and variations of planks help too, along with wall sits, and one legged wall sits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Plenty of core work and lots of stretching would be helpful. I also enjoy doing sort of intervals on different machines-so ten mins on a treadmill, ten on a spin bike, ten on a stair climber etc. I'm not really doing this as part of a structured programme, it's just nice to do something a bit different for a while, plus my wife is in the same gym, so nice also to get some exercise that doesn't involve being away from home for several hours. Spin classes are also pretty good fun.I kind of see the gym as a place to go when it's dark and wintry.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Resistance training is also very important as you get a bit older and start losing muscle mass all too easily. When not cycling, I tend to use kettle bells as I found they gave a fantastic full body workout. That said, I've found kettle bell gym classes very mixed, with one great instructor and another awful to the point of being dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Weights: Wendler 5/3/1
    Conditioning: metcon of some sort
    Ancillaries: TRX and kettle bells
    Cardio: Spinning and swimming
    Recovery: rolling and yoga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Core core core core and more ****ing core! By that I meant loads of squats done correctly! Box jumps, superman push ups, burp....burp....burp.....Ah I can't say the word I what them that much!

Working some squats and core stuff in with spinning classes. Still gonna try get out at the weekends if the weather is daycent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Like others said, core and stretches, to keep flexible, the core helped a lot with the mountain biking, took up road cycling after I took up gym so I can't comment on how it will suit you for that. I would do a little bit of free weights, if the area isn't taken up with lads that wait 15 minutes between sets, and keep a pile of weights at their feet, or else just use the resistance machines. Kettle bells are very good I find.

I also nearly always get caught by the guy that only comes to the gym for a chat and a look at the ladies, talking rubbish. Every gym has one of them guys

Spin classes are OK, I tried a beginners one once and suffered more from the heat than I did from the spinning, but I'd say if you're a reasonable fella on a bike an intermediate one will be where you'd want to start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Leg presses, box jumps (lots and lots and lots and lots), mountain climbers, leg raises (for the core), Burpies, Planks (3), some TRX for the arms and core, squats, jump squats (loads!) frog jumps. Stretches, all on a circuit 3 times, and varying reps depending on what you want to work on. I can't remember what else, it's been 7 weeks now :eek:

My biggest problem with the gym is boredom, I fond it teeth witchingly boring. Club sessions are starting up again so I'm gonna go to them from next week, I think the stomach will be fully healed by then.

I find pilates fantastic, important to get a good instructor, but it really is fantastic for strength, core and everywhere else. I swim a lot in winter usually, only started in the gym gym this summer, I always just swam and pilate-d. Nothing has made me feel as strong as it (pilates) although the gym work definitely gave me way more of a jump on track, really made a huge difference to my jump and sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ODEON123

Depending on what you want to get out of it, me personally I play rugby so bulk up but flexibility, streching and cardio are extremely important. If your trying to bulk for cycling squats and deadlifts are the best thing you can do but mix it with different types of squats like bulgarian split squats, pistol squats, half squats, barbell over the head, front and back squats and plenty more google a few more

Deadlifts just the basic deadlift is good but if you want gain on your legs theres no point not doing upperbody so maybe concentrate on legs but also do upperbody too

Cardio: Spinning is great! Circuits are good too great for everything arms, legs cardio etc, trx is good too

Core workouts are very important too such as leg raises different types of planks, sit ups, crunches and loads other have a look on the web for more

Flexibility and stretching is sooo important every time you foam roll and stretch, id even recommend getting a foam roller for home too they are great, try to be able to touch your toes and things like that!

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

So I joined the gym this week.

Mainly to get away from the desk at least once a day.

Googled a few bike specific routines. If you go to the gym what do you do?
    apart from all the stuff in the responses already posted, check out all the hotties! Its about keeping the mind fit & in shape too!

all joking aside, I have a gym in work & for a few yo-yo's a week I can get a couple of sessions in at lunch time with a PT so I can focus on building some core strength and improve cardiovascular, with the bright mornings a thing of the past I wont be commuting & I dont really fancy doing nothing over the winter months.

If you're in a cycling club get a group of people together and book a trainer for some strength and conditioning classes, we did this last year at Sports Med Ireland only cost about a tenner per session, and is great for cyclists who's flexibility is usually quite limited, what with cycling using mainly the quads/legs only...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

If you're time-crunched on weekdays, spinning is a superb workout - especially if your gym's bikes have power meters. 45 minutes of hard work with no traffic lights, no freewheeling and an instructor who starts yelling if they catch you slacking off is worth well over an hour on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Front and back squats, deadlifts, core work out (toes to bar is an excellent workout, or TRX) and lots of flexibility exercises. I think it's never mentioned enough how important is flexibility in cycling and how "loose" your body need to be in order to be free from injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

If you're time-crunched on weekdays, spinning is a superb workout - especially if your gym's bikes have power meters. 45 minutes of hard work with no traffic lights, no freewheeling and an instructor who starts yelling if they catch you slacking off is worth well over an hour on the road.

I concur. Best bang for your buck in a gym when it comes to cycling. Winter spins can become lazy and if you are focused and your gym has some kind of watt machine then you make improvements over the winter. I do better in the gym then others that attempt to make efforts on the road during the winter. Relatively short and high intensity works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Re stretching: Gave up stretching completely about 3 years ago. Was being treated for calf and shin injuries at the time and not stretching at all was part of the treatment. Had an interesting conversation with the physio at the time who theorised that a lot of people like me (middle-aged, recreational exercisers) do stretch, but only REALLY stretch and get disciplined about it when they already feel a muscle injury coming on, which may mean they are then putting extra strain on muscles that are already injured and therefore compounding the problem.

His advice not to stretch was never meant to be ongoing, it was appropriate to where my treatment regimen was at that moment, but so many other niggling problems I had stopped bothering me, I never started stretching again-the only exception being to gently stretch out a cramping muscle or muscle group-which thankfully happens me very rarely. I've had absolutely no muscle injury problems at all in those three years having had ongoing issues for the previous three years.

So my advice on stretching, for what it's worth, is the same as my advice re skydiving: make sure you're doing it properly-if you're not absolutely sure you're doing it properly than don't do it at all.

Rb

I used to go out with a physio years ago. She always said the best form of stretching is a slow warm up or a dynamic stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alex.middleton

dont forget that lifting weights can be cardio too!

I should be getting enough cardio on the bike.

• Advertisement

There are many more ways to improve flexibility than stretching. Stretching is boring and a soul destroyer if you have to do it a couple of times a day. Unless you like yoga, which puts you in the weirdo category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

AstraMonti wrote: »
    There are many more ways to improve flexibility than stretching. Stretching is boring and a soul destroyer if you have to do it a couple of times a day. Unless you like yoga, which puts you in the weirdo category.

Cyclist calling yoga enthusiast weirdo, kettle, pot, black.

so what would you suggest?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yoga is class.

Mostly in the gym i do the crosstrainer on high resistance (700-800 calorie worth) or else I have a free weights routine. I doubt you need to worry about getting to muscly by accident haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ODEON123

Yeah forgot about yoga thats great too or hot yoga easier to lose weight and can be gainful

• Advertisement

Cyclist calling yoga enthusiast weirdo, kettle, pot, black.

I was just trying to be funny, yoga never sat well with me. I can't get into the "mindset" that's required. If yoga works for you it's excellent, I wish I could do it.
    so what would you suggest?

Pilates is excellent if you don't like yoga as much, it's a lot different than yoga if it's done properly.
    Also, full squat box jumps, push ups (with kettle-bells even better), burpees, scissor jumps. And again, exercises you do with weights that are done correctly and use full body motions are good for flexibility. It's better to do lighter weights and go all the way rather than put a ton and do it halfarse (biggest example is the squats, that people rarely go below knee line).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I was just trying to be funny, yoga never sat well with me. I can't get into the "mindset" that's required. If yoga works for you it's excellent, I wish I could do it.

I too, was just trying to be funny. I forgot to use smilies though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Shameless plug for my clubmate's Yoga for Cyclists class - every Monday, Dublin 2. I was doing yoga for years at different places, but this is the best one I've attended for working out all the tightness and niggles from cycling.

http://www.sineadekennedy.com/yoga-for-cyclists.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Pilates for the best core ever ... the stronger the core the better the cyclist , once or twice a week. Swimming once or twice a week.

Interval high intensity cardio training 3 times a week for 20 minutes a time...on a stationary bike

Squats, lunges, plank, press ups, free weights 3 times a week for 20 minute.

Less is more ....

Rest on the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 49 specialCK

Legs: squats (single leg), lunges, leg curls (single leg), deadlifts.

Core: TRX but I am interested in trying pilates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Dono1975

Does anyone use a foam roller to work out pains and niggles?

Dono1975 wrote: »
    Does anyone use a foam roller to work out pains and niggles?

Always! Before a gym workout a foam roller is essential...

Also used a hockey ball, stand on it(hard) as it will also help your muscles...also good for the glutes..

The roller literally makes me weep after using it the next day of squats/deadlifts. It's a torture device.

Did two days of a trainpeaks routine and a swim. My legs are still sore but I can still cycle the bike so doing ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I started pilates recently. I cant recommend it enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement