Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikejoring

Options
  • 06-10-2015 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Does anybody on here bikejore? Cycle with a dog pulling out front?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

muddypaws wrote: »
    Does anybody on here bikejore? Cycle with a dog pulling out front?

I cycle with a dog on a lead occasionally. Best I can do, it is not even a husky.

This "bikejoreing" is like dog-sledding on a bike? Can't see the attraction myself tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Dog is attached by a line with a bungee to the bike, a bikejor attachment is used to keep the line away from the front wheel. Doesn't have to be a husky, its a big sport on the continent, where they usually use pointers or pointer crosses. It was first thought up to keep sled dogs fit during the warmer months, and has taken off to become a sport in its own right. We're sending a team to the European Championships this weekend in Scotland. Ireland currently has a world champion, who will hopefully also win gold in the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

muddypaws wrote: »
    Dog is attached by a line with a bungee to the bike, a bikejor attachment is used to keep the line away from the front wheel. Doesn't have to be a husky, its a big sport on the continent, where they usually use pointers or pointer crosses. It was first thought up to keep sled dogs fit during the warmer months, and has taken off to become a sport in its own right. We're sending a team to the European Championships this weekend in Scotland. Ireland currently has a world champion, who will hopefully also win gold in the Euros.

I like it. Just sit on your bike and let the dogmestique do the work.

I like it. Just sit on your bike and let the dogmestique do the work.

Lol oh no, its a dog assisted sport, as opposed to dog powered. The Euros this weekend specify in the rules that the human must pedal, and can be penalised if they just sit there and let the dog do all the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Try it sometimes in a clear space with my boston terrier - looks ridiculous (for anyone who hasn't seen a boston they aint the biggest) but dog loves it!

I dont let him pull me from a standing start or anything!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Know nothing about it but it sounds like the most fun ever! Any info on it muddypaws? Or our current world champion? We always had pointers growing up, they're awesome dogs. What kind of bikes do they use? Are they special bikes? ALL the questions sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I had A beaglexlab and a huskyxcollie who loved this. I started out just riding with them on the lead and then discovered this. Its the only reason I have a mtb . The lads took to it and although they were getting on they learnt very quickly to work together as a team and listen to me. You will definitely pedal as any dog who has been taught not to pull will not take the strain if you get lazy. I put in good winters when I had them as with good lights I could go to the woods in evenings and had the trails to myself.
    Canicross is the running version.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Where can you pick up the bikejor attachment for the bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Is there a Strava option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Hasmunch wrote: »
    Where can you pick up the bikejor attachment for the bike?

Probably a reverse of the system used for towing in adventure racing or similar..

_MG_1111.jpg

Make them at home with a lenght of qualpex or similar to keep the line out of your wheel. A long retractable lead cable tied to the handlebar and passed through the pipe should allow you wriggle room .

Susanne Bojkovsky is the World and now European Champion, she won gold in her class at the weekend in Scotland. Nobody in Ireland sells the bikejoring attachments, there are a few places in the UK that do, and will post them. The attachment is just to keep the line away from the front wheel, the line is attached to the headstock of the bike, and then passed through a loop on the attachment.

The winner of the men's bikejoring class at the Euros did 5km on a very, very hilly, mainly grass MTB course in just over 10 minutes.

Canicross Ireland is the new Irish club set up for canicross, bikejoring and scootering, and there is a race on 25th October at Lough Boora in Co. offaly. They are on FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/1604650096485567/?fref=ts. There is a recreation class, for anyone who hasn't tried it before, and would like to give it a go, with loan equipment available. The Irish Federation of Sleddog Sports will also be holding bikejore classes at their rallies over the season.

Advertisement