Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

current status of dublin to galway greenway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Esroh wrote: »
    Has a map of the proposed route been published showing where the need for CPOs were needed.
    The old main road from Athlone to Galway has ample room for bicycle infrastructure and villages like kilreekel and Craughwell could benifit. Why is it that everything must be off road as in completely seperated.
    You can drive the old road now from Oranmore to Loughrea and count the number of cars you meet.

cycling old main roads which are still used by large amounts of traffic doesn't tie well in with the idea of greenways. a lot of cars and especially trucks are using the old main roads to avoid tolls.
    i cycled dublin to athlone recently using both the new greenway for stretches and the main road and there's a very big difference in comfort & enjoyment!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭BannerBarry

Is there any plans to do other cycle routes in the country?
    The Burren cycle would be ideal also and would bring some tourism our way :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

cuculainn wrote: »
    A sh*t load of cars and trucks....I cycle it regularly unfortunately and that road is no tourist amenity!

Plus it still has a 100kmh limit - which pushes up the noise - and the spray from passing trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Well thats the Galway route dead in the water for a few years anyway. Theres no point marketing routes like this to tourists though, there is literally nothing on them, its just a flat blank straight stretch with bushes and fields either side. Ive done the Grand Canal which has some sights to see and towns to visit and even that was more entertaining as an endurance test for myself, a lot of it was just flat blank landscape that would leave a tourist thinking they've wasted their money coming to Ireland, the Dublin-Galway greenway is even worse than that.

They should have taken a braver approach and spent some serious money making the Wild Atlantic Way completely safe for cyclists, same for the Ring of Kerry and basically the whole South Coast. Market it well and it could have become an actual destination and would have paid for itself many times over, have a look at the cafes in the middle of nowhere packed with cyclists in Wicklow for half the year.

I love cycling and I live in Dublin with family in Galway and Im struggling to think of a reason to do this, I can think of more interesting routes on existing roads if I wanted to do that cycle. I suppose all it has going for it is that its probably flat so easy going but thats not necessarily what serious cyclists want either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Moflojo wrote: »
    This crap really grinds my gears. Either the landowners are being p***ks or the authorities f**ked up the planning and construction process. Either way, the greater good of Irish society is not being served.

While Local Authority/NRA incompetence is not unlikely or an awkward farmer or two; it's probably not that simple.

A lane way up the middle of a farm, in particular dairy farms, is a massive disruption on a daily basis along with problems with disease control/insurance/ access etc.

The solution is typically good quality fencing with a lot of over/under passes. With a combination of issues arising from making paths in compliance with requirements of wheelchair users and the design accounting for heavy machinery this solution gets very expensive very quickly.

While it easy to label all farmers as Bull McCabe types, it's probably a lot more complicated than that. I've no doubt there's a Bull or two in the mix though, but from my experience of similar projects most farmer's have reasonable objections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Thargor wrote: »
    They should have taken a braver approach and spent some serious money making the Wild Atlantic Way completely safe for cyclists, same for the Ring of Kerry and basically the whole South Coast.

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

ford2600 wrote: »

The solution is typically good quality fencing with a lot of over/under passes. With a combination of issues arising from making paths in compliance with requirements of wheelchair users and the design accounting for heavy machinery this solution gets very expensive very quickly.

Bang on the money.

That is the solution. And its not all that expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I'd be guessing that maybe part of the problem here is lack of initial consultation with landowners, who then get in a huff. The minister said yesterday that the aim was to have as much as possible of the route in public ownership to keep costs down, so it was likely approached with that mindset. The problems that the landowners were raising on the news last night are hardly impossible to address - gates can be automated so the chap doesn't have to climb down from his cab (though the exercise mightn't do any harm!) and security concerns are groundless. It's not the case that gurriers from Dublin are going to come along on high speed bikes and nick generators. More people about would mean greater public watchfulness and reduce farmer isolation at same time. The people on these Greenways are athletic types, families, local people - not thieves. Can't think what other problem or issue could arise except perhaps for a desire for payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ford2600 wrote: »
    A lane way up the middle of a farm, in particular dairy farms, is a massive disruption on a daily basis along with problems with disease control/insurance/ access etc.

I haven't seen the map, but it would be easier to use existing local boreens and run the greenway on the other side of the hedgerows. That way you're not creating a new route or dividing farms up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

BarryD wrote: »
    I'd be guessing that maybe part of the problem here is lack of initial consultation with landowners, who then get in a huff.

Can't think what other problem or issue could arise except perhaps for a desire for payment?

The gombeen spirit is alive and well in rural Ireland.

• Advertisement

The gombeen spirit is alive and well in rural Ireland.

In fairness that accusation could be thrown in both directions. The manner in which the project was conducted gave the impression of classic celtic tiger - pick the most expensive options possible and direct the maximum amount of money to well known civil engineering firms.

In fairness that accusation could be thrown in both directions. The manner in which the project was conducted gave the impression of classic celtic tiger - pick the most expensive options possible and direct the maximum amount of money to well known civil engineering firms.

Gombeen spirit is alive in public sector Ireland…

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bovis

I just read the official detailed report. Seems that the Greenway had significant landowner support as far as Ballinasloe. The main opposition was west of ballinasloe. Hopefully we can get agreement in the medium term.

http://www.dublingalwaygreenway.com/2015/11/detailed-report-shows-that-greenway-had.html

loyatemu wrote: »
    I haven't seen the map, but it would be easier to use existing local boreens and run the greenway on the other side of the hedgerows. That way you're not creating a new route or dividing farms up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Moflojo wrote: »
    Landowner objections have caused the postponement of development of the Galway-Athlone section of the Dublin-Galway Greenway.

This crap really grinds my gears. Either the landowners are being p***ks or the authorities f**ked up the planning and construction process. Either way, the greater good of Irish society is not being served.

From today's Irish Times:

To be fair if the thing is being steamrollered through they've got every right to object. Flicked through the report and they seem to be more worried about Bord na Mona than landowners. Can I build something really small in the corner of your garden? Ah shure you'd hardly notice it was there...Thought not. It's all very well if it's someone else's property.

To be fair if the thing is being steamrollered through they've got every right to object. Flicked through the report and they seem to be more worried about Bord na Mona than landowners. Can I build something really small in the corner of your garden? Ah shure you'd hardly notice it was there...Thought not. It's all very well if it's someone else's property.

So true. Same with the eejit electricity companies who put up windmills. If they had a titter of sense they'd offer free electricity to everyone living within a kilometre of a turbine at the time it was built. I'll go bail that all the shouting would instantly die down to a "Hmm…" Nothing so powerful as an offered advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Cycled Mullingar-Athlone today stopped in Moate on way back for coffee in golf club beside station( Signs up cyclists welcome), nice spin will be great when they complete canal section through Kildare and Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Cycled Mullingar-Athlone today stopped in Moate on way back for coffee in golf club beside station( Signs up cyclists welcome), nice spin will be great when they complete canal section through Kildare and Meath.

We've installed bike racks there now at Moate Golf Club too and I noticed a few cyclists availing of them and the restaurant facilities yesterday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

planning a cycle from North County Dublin to Athlone via Mulligar on easter Sunday, so I cant wait to get on the greenway, have heard nothing but good things about it.

was going to ask about any potentail stops but its just been pointed out there is one in Moate, which is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

What route are you looking at going Loudy, sounds like a good spin.

i did it last year Loudy, before the greenway had officially opened. you can get onto the canal towpath between kinnegad and mullingar, follow that into mullingar town then just need to find your way to the greenway. hopefully at this stage they have some signs up for the start of it in mullingar? i struggled to find it at the time and i know the town fairly well!

i just followed the old N4 from dublin to kinnegad btw.

not sure what bike you're on but the towpath was perfectly fine for my road bike.

• Advertisement

had not really decided on the route yet, I have cycled from Dublin to Athlone a couple of times, following the N4 to Kinnegad and onwards to Athlone.

Had looked into getting onto that canal path but was never too sure where it started or what state its in.

was going to head from Donabate and go across towards Rathoath and Dunshaughlin, that general direction.

i'll just wing it, I have GPS on the phone, sure what could go wrong :)

had not really decided on the route yet, I have cycled from Dublin to Athlone a couple of times, following the N4 to Kinnegad and onwards to Athlone.

Had looked into getting onto that canal path but was never too sure where it started or what state its in.

was going to head from Donabate and go across towards Rathoath and Dunshaughlin, that general direction.

i'll just wing it, I have GPS on the phone, sure what could go wrong :)

are you me? :eek:

i had done the same a few times, the old main road is very boring so i was delighted when this became an option! finding the canal towpath is very easy if coming from kinnegad, just use the old mullingar road out of kinnegad for a short stretch, then follow the road that's signposted for killucan and it's a few miles down that road, the canal crosses under the road so you can't miss it :D
    alternatively you could just follow the old mullingar road much further towards the downs and the canal crosses that road further along also (this option would shorten the spin).

will be interested to hear how you get on as i've often thought of doing those back roads but always chicken out on the basis of a general absence of hard shoulder.

Cheers Mr Spuckler

looking at google maps i was thinking of coming out around the downs and getting on the towpath there.

you are right, that main road is quite boring, but like yourself was too unsure about hitting the back roads, but I do now want to avoid going through any part of the city.

so i will bite the bullet and head across country

Cheers Mr Spuckler

looking at google maps i was thinking of coming out around the downs and getting on the towpath there.

you are right, that main road is quite boring, but like yourself was too unsure about hitting the back roads, but I do now want to avoid going through any part of the city.

so i will bite the bullet and head across country

i'll be doing this cycle from raheny once or twice later in the year so will be keen to hear how you got on

i'll stick a bit of a report up here when ive it done.

Your best bet is to follow old N4 to kinnegad and take right turn signposted Killucan at Mullingar end of village, you'll come to candl bridge and towpath few Kms down the road.
    There's a pub restaurant at Thomastown Harbour Nanny Quinns where you join canal if your hungry or need coffee.
    Follow canal right through Mulllingar and the there is a path onto greenway from canal at Athlone end of Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Isn't the canal path tarmaced from Furey's bar Moyvalley (halfway between Enfield and Kinnegad on the old N4) looks like it from street view.

flazio wrote: »
    Isn't the canal path tarmaced from Furey's bar Moyvalley (halfway between Enfield and Kinnegad on the old N4) looks like it from street view.

It's tarmacced or gravel hardcore all the way through Westmeath from Meath border to Longford border, it may be done in other spots but no idea if it's ok from moyvalley onwards through Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bovis

It's tarmacced or gravel hardcore all the way through Westmeath from Meath border to Longford border, it may be done in other spots but no idea if it's ok from moyvalley onwards through Meath

As Kildarecommuter said in a previous post the tarmacking starts in Thomastown/killucan. From moyvalley to killucan it's mainly grassey uneven canal towpath. Some vegetation clearing has taken place recently but the surface isn't greenway standard until thomastown/killucan.

If you're interested, we have posted a status update on the Dublin Galway Greenway on our blog:
    http://www.dublingalwaygreenway.com/2016/05/you-asked-whats-going-on-with-dublin.html

• Advertisement

bovis wrote: »
    As Kildarecommuter said in a previous post the tarmacking starts in Thomastown/killucan. From moyvalley to killucan it's mainly grassey uneven canal towpath. Some vegetation clearing has taken place recently but the surface isn't greenway standard until thomastown/killucan.

If you're interested, we have posted a status update on the Dublin Galway Greenway on our blog:
    http://www.dublingalwaygreenway.com/2016/05/you-asked-whats-going-on-with-dublin.html

I am afraid this part of your article is incorrect
    As a background, the Dublin Galway greenway will be Ireland’s first cross-country cycle route covering a total distance of 210 km. It started as a strategic project for the Fine Gael/Labour government and was announced to great fanfare by Minister Leo Varadkar in 2012.

To my knowledge official proposals for a route on the Dublin Galway corridor go back to 1998 and the designation of Eurovelo2 capitals route.

http://www.eurovelo.com/en/eurovelos/eurovelo-2

So it has been around as a European project for best part of two decades.

Advertisement