Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Canyon?

• 06-10-2015 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

Heavy carcassed, 6ft rider, looking for comfortable ride in the Wicklow hills....

Heart says: Ultimate:

Head says: Endurace

Also, any thoughts on DI vs mechanical?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭butterworth

https://youtu.be/7ZeFDe44Ddo?t=5s

Also, DI2 is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Got a Di2 bike this summer. I love it. I did manage to run out of battery once, which meant I cut the cycle short since I was stuck in the small front ring, but rear derailleur continued to operate until I got home. Anyway will not happen again, will just check battery level a bit more often now, and it charges really quickly.

I went for a rose rather than Canyon. I wanted hydraullic disc brakes which i am also delighted with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Izoard wrote: »
    Heavy carcassed, 6ft rider, looking for comfortable ride in the Wicklow hills....

Heart says: Ultimate:

Head says: Endurace

Also, any thoughts on DI vs mechanical?

Endurace is indeed comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

The deep section front wheel, from the Ultimate Aero, is a pig to handle on the Featherbeds, with the crosswinds.
    When I go up there in a group, I can get an echelon.
    When I go up there alone, I put on a shallow one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Ive been eyeing up a Canyon for over a year now! If they did the Ultimate Aero in Di2 id have splashed out by now. Beautiful looking bikes and i like the look of the updated Ultimates. I am looking for a racing machine but don't know if i can bring myself to the Aeroad price range!

The value of the Canyons seems very hard to beat for the decent level of development that they put in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Jumping on the bandwagon a bit here ... apologies for the semi hijack OP
    Thinking of a Canyon for racing club/A4 next year.

Is there any reason to splash out on Ultimate CF over Ultimate AL? Is Di2 really worth it at that level? I raced with tiagra (:o) this year and it wasn't the groupset that was holding me back. I'm thinking just get a nice canyon al with mechanical ultegra for not so much money. Is there any real reason to stretch to carbon or di2. Even if I can afford it I don't see the point of risking a really expensive bike in an a4 gallop?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Go for the shiniest one with the deepest section wheels {they make a louder whooshing sound}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

RobFowl wrote: »
    Go for the shiniest one with the deepest section wheels {they make a louder whooshing sound}

As a tri-head, that goes without saying....whoosh and bling is what tri is all about.

More importantly, as an out of shape tri-head, I'm wondering if there is a big difference in the comfort between the Ultimate and the Endurace - speed is not of primary concern at the moment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭BGT

"More importantly, as an out of shape tri-head, I'm wondering if there is a big difference in the comfort between the Ultimate and the Endurace - speed is not of primary concern at the moment..."

Your last line is very important, leaves an upgrade in two years time to the Aeroad almost a must :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is there any reason to splash out on Ultimate CF over Ultimate AL? Is Di2 really worth it at that level?
    I have an Ultimate Al. It raced as well as the carbon Scott Addict I had previously.

I would pick Di2 on Al over mechanical on carbon, just because (I think) there is a slightly lower chance of a dropped chain on Di2 (and the shifts are smoother under load), but I'm basing that on mechanical Campag and Sram rather than Shimano.

On the other hand, if you trash a frame then transplanting the Di2 to a replacement frame is probably a harder job than with mechanical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ah Jaysus your heart is spot on. Sure it's nicer, and cheaper!!
    Before I clicked on the links I thought I'd be looking at a head over heart saving of a thousand euro or something. Ultimate all the way for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Not sure if you have a CI license but if you do don't forget their "sponsoring" prices. Ultimate AL SLX 9.0 Aero can be got for €2,599 (€200 off). TI license might even work? Another discount is the Aeroad CF SLX 7.0 Di2 for €3,699 (€300 off)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tom Boonen

Hi,

Am planning to buy a Canyon in the next few months and also conflicted between the Endurance and Ultimate but my budget is a little more modest.

For someome (like me) who is not part of a club and cycles at weekends to keep fit the D12 appears to be a massive luxury? Am more than happy to be contradicted but unless you are racing the spring classics not sure it's worth it?

TB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tom Boonen wrote: »
    For someome (like me) who is not part of a club and cycles at weekends to keep fit the D12 appears to be a massive luxury? Am more than happy to be contradicted but unless you are racing the spring classics not sure it's worth it?
    Ah come on, I know it's late in the season and the weather's gone a bit cold but you've definitely got another couple of monuments in you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Tom Boonen wrote: »
    Hi,

Am planning to buy a Canyon in the next few months and also conflicted between the Endurance and Ultimate but my budget is a little more modest.

TB

Hey TB, OP here.
    I went with mechanical in the end - the reviews of Di were all pretty good, but I'm a bit more old skool, so went with what I knew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    Ah come on, I know it's late in the season and the weather's gone a bit cold but you've definitely got another couple of monuments in you.

Also, I wouldn't say D12 is massively luxurious. D4 on the other hand!

"cycles at weekends to keep fit" = Endurace and not the Ultimate.

I would probably go for this: https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/endurace/2016/endurace-al-6-0.html

or if you want carbon: https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/endurace/2016/endurace-cf-7-0.html

Anything more and you're not going to see a huge amount of benefit. 105 has really come on in the last few years and it's so reliable, I haven't had a single issue with it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I take it that Canyon is kind of of the shelf buying, in that the gears etc are as stated and there is no ability to make changes.

That is what it seems to be to me anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Shimano 105 was reported to be the best selling groupset in the world. (That's what thyey were saying when it was announced it was going 11sp)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tom Boonen

Appreciate feedback and will not argue with you but Mrs Boonen tells me that I'll be dead a long time so why not push the boat out a little?

Advertisement