Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmashogue downhill gone off Strava??

Options
  • 05-10-2015 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Soz for starting a thread but couldn't see any relevant one to post from the past...
    Anyways love this technical decent and have noticed from the weekend its gone off Strava??
    Any way to get it back on by just creating a new one I suppose or was it reported???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

its probably hidden as listed as dangerous. you should be able to unhide it if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Pretty unwise to be trying to get a KoM on this one with all the driveways, blind turns, walkers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Koobcam wrote: »
    Pretty unwise to be trying to get a KoM on this one with all the driveways, blind turns, walkers etc.

Did you flag it Koobcam.........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

D3PO wrote: »
    its probably hidden as listed as dangerous. you should be able to unhide it if you want.
    I think hidden ones are just less popular ones and can be 'unhidden' but flagged ones can't be reinstated as far as I know. Strava afraid of legalalities as it could be argued that the perceived danger has been brought to their attention.

I havent a KOM to my name just like to see the improvements especially on a technical descent.
    Was thinking it be safer to do at night given the lights from cars would be easier spotted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Mind out for deer,foxes and badgers at night on the descent,hit one of those at 65kph + and it would be nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Kilmashogue is one of the climbs I do just for the climb. Had a hairy moment the first time ever coming down it and decided I'd be better focusing on the uphill effort to aid with my fitness and the whole staying alive thing. I can't say descending it at night would be very high on my list of priorities if I intended to claim I was remotely sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Kilmashogue is one of the climbs I do just for the climb. Had a hairy moment the first time ever coming down it and decided I'd be better focusing on the uphill effort to aid with my fitness and the whole staying alive thing. I can't say descending it at night would be very high on my list of priorities if I intended to claim I was remotely sane.

What? You mean you don't like descending on a blind, off-camber bend in the shade with a -15% grade on a narrow road?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Even I wouldn't give Kilmashogue downhill full gas..there's technical, then there's dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭custom_build

I hope its not gone, its one of my few kom's. I didn't find it too hairy coming down when I knew what was coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure if I'd have the balls to open up on Kilmashogue even if I knew the road was closed. With that grade you could end up ut of your depth very quickly.

Looks like a bit of a marmite thing... you like it or you dont...
    There is plenty visibility in places its knowing were to open up makes it technical rather than dangerous.
    Knowing what lines to safely take into the bends....
    No reason for it be flagged in my opinion.
    Take it slow if you don't feel confident descending each to their own.
    Im not really bothered about KOM's either.

Mind out for deer,foxes and badgers at night on the descent,hit one of those at 65kph + and it would be nasty.

The whole area is alive with deer met one coming from Jonny Foxes very recently, startled her grazing....it took off running full pelt along a perimeter fence level with my head...brakes helped me out.

Sally gap is the place for Deer....a few hundred graze up there at night...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Looks like a bit of a marmite thing... you like it or you dont...
    There is plenty visibility in places its knowing were to open up makes it technical rather than dangerous.
    Knowing what lines to safely take into the bends....
    No reason for it be flagged in my opinion.
    Take it slow if you don't feel confident descending each to their own.
    Im not really bothered about KOM's either.

I love descending and I actually have a decent time on that segment. It is dodgy though.
    HOWEVER... I completely agree, I don't get the mentality of some clown descending it and then deciding "Oh, that's too dangerous. I'm going to flag it and spoil things for everyone else".
    That just stinks of nannyism

I love descending and I actually have a decent time on that segment. It is dodgy though.
    HOWEVER... I completely agree, I don't get the mentality of some clown descending it and then deciding "Oh, that's too dangerous. I'm going to flag it and spoil things for everyone else".

Normally id agree but the second their was a death attributed to somebody trying to get a strava segment this was inevitable and necessary.

maybe its nannyism but some people need protection from themselves. Whatever happened to riding your bike for the pure unadulterated joy of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭comete

D3PO wrote: »
    Normally id agree but the second their was a death attributed to somebody trying to get a strava segment this was inevitable and necessary.

maybe its nannyism but some people need protection from themselves. Whatever happened to riding your bike for the pure unadulterated joy of it ?

Did you not know the quality of your bike ride is determined by how many kudos' you get on strava?

comete wrote: »
    Did you not know the quality of your bike ride is determined by how many kudos' you get on strava?

eureka !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

Was thinking it be safer to do at night given the lights from cars would be easier spotted.

This reminded me of hearing a classmate at school saying when he drives (a car) at night, he turns off his lights because he can better see the lights of oncoming cars against the bushes on a bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Jan Laco wrote: »
    This reminded me of hearing a classmate at school saying when he drives (a car) at night, he turns off his lights because he can better see the lights of oncoming cars against the bushes on a bend.

your classmate sounds like a fool TBH

Jan Laco wrote: »

Well lets hope he doesnt know where Kilmashogue lane is.
    What type class were you'se in together?:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Have to disagree. I think Strava is great and I hope it continues to exist. The problem is, when you have people taking risks on obviously dangerous roads. Now, I agree that you can't legislate for idiots and take all the risk out of activities, but to a certain extent, I think it's up to Strava users to use a bit of common sense and flag segments if they are genuinely dangerous, though I suppose you might then argue over what constitutes a dangerous segment. Anyway, you can still see leaderboards after clicking through a couple of 'don't blame us if you end up dead' screens. And no, I didn't flag Kilmashogue downhill..

Advertisement