Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The border at Pettigo

Options
  • 11-09-2015 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

Where is the actual border at Pettigo? I was heading to Dublin last weekend and went through Pettigo; hadn't gone that way in a while. I always thought that the river was the border and when you crossed the bridge, you were in the north.
    However I noticed this time a 'Welcome to Northern Ireland' sign, which was a few hundred feet from the bridge. I also remember reading once that the Orange Hall, which is after the bridge, was left in the Republic after partition.
    Google Map seems to show the river as the boundary but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Does Donegal have a thin sliver of land on the far bank or is the river indeed the border between north and south?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The river is the border, the sign is just a sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Once you go over the bridge, you have crossed the border. You know when you have hit Donegal as the pettigo road, on the Laghey side turns into a inferior, second rate road that my Mrs really hates. I have recovered a car from the ditch on that road.

The difference in the road on both sides of the border is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The difference in the road on both sides of the border is ridiculous.

Pretty much always the case, but with the NI road usually being a mess elsewhere. Few cases of nice wide fully lined road with shoulders turning in to a potholed goat-track in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

"The difference in the road on both sides of the border is ridiculous."

This may be true of the Pettigo road and a few others but roads are now, in general, far superior in the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭overshoot

"The difference in the road on both sides of the border is ridiculous."

This may be true of the Pettigo road and a few others but roads are now, in general, far superior in the south.
    id just end this slightly, our Motorways & National roads are better than NI's M & A roads, NI's B/C roads tend to be better than our R/L roads (mostly due to due to the surface finish, theyre just as twisty).

The there is the A46/N3 (Enniskillen to Ballyshannon) which is all just crap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

If anyone is at a loose end someday, and would like a trip off the beaten track, try taking the right turn for Castlederg here.. it is about 3 miles from Laghey on the Pettigo road, you are going towards Laghey in the photo.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@54.6088783,-8.043947,3a,75y,338.11h,83.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNdiv1eClGJD4p5FF9KjbfA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

It is a bit of an experience.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah, through Lagheybarr. Haven't been through that road in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

If anyone is at a loose end someday, and would like a trip off the beaten track, try taking the right turn for Castlederg here.. it is about 3 miles from Laghey on the Pettigo road, you are going towards Laghey in the photo.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@54.6088783,-8.043947,3a,75y,338.11h,83.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNdiv1eClGJD4p5FF9KjbfA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

It is a bit of an experience.

cycle that quite regularly - up through killeter and back down the derg line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Speaking of that route, I notice that Derg Lodge is completely gone now.

Someone has posted a picture and some info on Geograph from 1970.

A few years ago the shell of the ground floor was still standing, with some nice stonework around the windows, but the salvagers must have must have moved in since then.

Advertisement