Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing Tap on Washbasin

• 03-09-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

I need to replace a tap on the washbasin. The existing ones don't match and one is now giving trouble. Tried to get at it with a basin wrench , one of them that has a moving head, but there is not enough room to get it to slot over and allow it to turn. The nut is about 1" .
    The taps are in place over twenty five years so I expect the nut will be well seized up by now.
    Anybody got any suggestions? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Cerco wrote: »
    I need to replace a tap on the washbasin. The existing ones don't match and one is now giving trouble. Tried to get at it with a basin wrench , one of them that has a moving head, but there is not enough room to get it to slot over and allow it to turn. The nut is about 1" .
    The taps are in place over twenty five years so I expect the nut will be well seized up by now.
    Anybody got any suggestions? :confused:
    you need a basin wrench spanner you might still have trouble though. you might need to leaver the tap by the spout with the basin wrench attached underneath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

A box spanner would be better for the back nut. Turn water off, remove pipe from tap and use a box spanner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Cerco

Thanks Joey and Johnnie.
    I tried the basin wrench already but could not get it to fit over nut. Would be afraid I might break the basin by levering the tap.
    I will give the box spanner a go and see how that works out. Try to get one tomorrow.
    Thanks again for your help ,

Cerco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Cerco wrote: »
    Thanks Joey and Johnnie.
    I tried the basin wrench already but could not get it to fit over nut. Would be afraid I might break the basin by levering the tap.
    I will give the box spanner a go and see how that works out. Try to get one tomorrow.
    Thanks again for your help ,

Cerco

A pic from underneath might help. Take the basin off the wall if its that tough, just be mindful of tiles if any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Be careful , i wouldnt lever the tap by the spout as old basins sometimes have square holes and the taps are made so they dont turn in the square holes , ive had this problem before with old basins and the backnut wouldnt move so ive had to remove the basin and cut the backnut off with a mini grinder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Cerco

Thanks for the help. I was worried about damaging the basin but I suppose that could happen too when using a box spanner unless I can clamp the tap body.
    I had not planned on removing the basin. What I thought might be a ten minute job could well be a day's work (for me anyway), followed by tiling etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

The box spanner might very well do the job , there are two sized backnuts for basin taps though , old basins sometimes have the smaller size .

Advertisement