Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else..

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i disagree with Naikon... cos i think the L Cert is fair (dont attack me, its my opinion...).. i am not preparing my essays, nor do i consult the marking scheme to get maximum marks..

i learn the stuff on the course.. simple as... and im hoping to get between 480/510 points...

as for smemon, well.. i disliked him for weeks on end.. and i still maintain if i knew him i would hit him...
    but hey, theres people on here who annoy me more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i agree with everything you said Naikon :)

whilst my attitude isnt 'right' in that it wont get me 600points, it is right in that i can see flaws in the LC and imo it's designed so that everyone can pass it without any effort. (if you do SOME kind of work and stay awake during classes)

eg - geog pre 2006: Q what provence's are belfast, cork, dublin, galway in? (something like that, not kidding!) 5% of overall marks.

now although that is technically geography, it's an insult to most people. but did you hear anyone apart from me complaining? i doubt it as greed kicked in and people seen it as easy points which would boost their overall score.

they failed to see that that question was idiot proof and doesnt test us, sure we probably knew that in infant school. that's whats wrong with the system - too easy to pass, not challenging enough. it doesnt hurt the people enough that don't work. and that's the government setting bad examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i laughed when i saw that geog question.

sad part?
    some people in my class got it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

LOL that is true because when my bro done his JC he freaked out over Geography and took ordinary. He told me there was a question which asked
    the candidate to mark the location of dublin on the map.
    Also considering the statistics they post up on the examinations website-97% or something along those lines pass english and it is slighty lower for Honours.
    Also people who fail maths usually fail ''miserably'' where candidates sometimes just give up during the exam or dont attemp all questions ect.
    In conclusion the LC does seem relitivly idiot proof to pass but if you want like 560 or more points it becomes a problem.

Naikon wrote:
    In conclusion the LC does seem relitivly idiot proof to pass but if you want like 560 or more points it becomes a problem.

true. youve got 2hrs 30mins or so in most exams. the idiot who did nothing for 6years also has that time.

it's very little time to show how much better you are than them and doesnt do you justice imo.

i mean you could study for 3hrs a night for 6 years and this guy could do nothing and still pass. theres something very wrong with that imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

smemon wrote:
    true. youve got 2hrs 30mins or so in most exams. the idiot who did nothing for 6years also has that time.

it's very little time to show how much better you are than them and doesnt do you justice imo.

i mean you could study for 3hrs a night for 6 years and this guy could do nothing and still pass. theres something very wrong with that imo.

I agree. I got 72% in HL Irish in the pre and I was chuffed. There were fellas who got 82% which is two grades higher. That is 10 points more than I got. I did the bare minimum for Irish and the guys who came out with 82% were dreimire freaks and studying Irish about for 3 hours seven days a week and learning essays off and all that lark. Bit unfair that they only get 10 more points for it than me. Thus the LEaving Cert is not a fair exam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

word of advice, do whatever ye do that works but dont get cocky with it u know what murphys law says something long the line of when you think everything is ok it means you ovelooked something. the leaving is way diferent to the mocks. as for the people who correct, ya an get p^&()s.

less of slang people and predicting they will do crap. ye dont want to be heading down to the school in august or in da pub asking how ye got on when ur annoyed that you were 5 points off what ye wanted and the person u predicted would do crap but did well cause she/he will (and sometimes rightly so) will gloat and let u know bout it

i remember one p789k thought that of me well i had some time giving it to him when i found he didnt get to vet school when i got what i needed, now i in last year of law whilst he doing a course he not mad bout.

just remember yes lc is fair, fair if ya did the work. its a ticket to uni/it/fas etc once there ya can stick that lc up the chiney means nothing. and 4 years in college is a long time

so good luck,stay cool and keep working

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Rockerette wrote:
    i am not preparing my essays, nor do i consult the marking scheme to get maximum marks..

Preparing essays is a good idea, for Irish in particular. Don't go and learn off 10 3 page essays by heart though because that's just a waste of time and effort.

As for consulting the marking schemes, that's just sensible. Very often, they're looking for specific wording, expecially in the science subjects, and you get a much greater feel for this once you've looked at the marking schemes.

I would ESPECIALLY recommend those of you taking HL Chemistry to look at the marking schemes as they're invaluable.

the marking schemes will get you an 'A'.

but imo they're flawed and are designed to make life easy for the examiner. a few headings in red, few lines explaining the headings and an example will get you full marks in most subjects.

but imo, that doesnt test your understanding of a subject, essay type essays are better at doing that as you can't bluff them as easy.

i'd say studying the marking scheme alone and a good general knowledge would get you 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I cant wait till the bloody thing is over seriously!! dying for it. Gonna get my history/geog project thingy's done before saturday, then I have the weekend for my 18th :D I only need 260 points for my course anyway, but I'm hoping to get 350+ if possible. Need to really get the head done next few weeks, but it's near impossible for me to work at home, to many distractions :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement