Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hons maths

Options
  • 12-04-2006 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

is anyone concentrating on just 6 questions for each paper? we arent getting any option q's is this a risk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

It's risky if you're hoping for a high mark, I'd say. 7 per paper is probably best, there's bound to be a stinker or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

It's risky if you're hoping for a high mark, I'd say. 7 per paper is probably best, there's bound to be a stinker or two.

well im gonna concentrate on 7...every year there is bout to be at least one or two "stinkers"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Definitely make sure you can do seven questions, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

disney wrote:
    is anyone concentrating on just 6 questions for each paper? we arent getting any option q's is this a risk?

we decided to concentrate on revision instead of doing another question

im happy enough with the decision

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

We've covered all paper one, all paper two section A and our option question. I think, especially for paper one, it's better to have a choice. There's generally a tough differentiation question, and I know I'd definitely prefer to have the choice of doing question 4 and/or 5, the sequences and series question. With induction being worth 20 marks in one of them (generally q5 I think?) and a piece on logs, binomial expansion and the like, there's always a very doable question between the two (sometimes lucky enough to have both quite easy) and it'd be so much easier to get over 40 in one of those than the tough differentiation in my opinion.

You don't know where you'll be caught out, it could even be your favourite section. That's why it's better to have at last one extra question prepared.
    Good luck either way though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'm going in there with 8 questions prepared on each paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

yeh me too! especially paper one cuz like its been said their is hard question in favourites such as differenciation! paper two is it me or am i the only one who hates the circle?? porbabilty is great! wat option is everyone doing? im doing d mc laren series one!lkind of tricky but not too bad!we jus hav to do vectors and den well hav 16 questions prepared for paper one and two!not bad consiedering we did dat in a year!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'm doing the same thing as Aoibheann. Only questions I'm not gonna be ready to do are the options that aren't mine. Better to choose questions on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

**** our teacher is only doing 6 on each paper with us. Apparently said the stinker questions wont take you out of the 90% bracket. Still. Is there anyone else apart from Garret(who is in my class) doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Raphael wrote:
    I'm doing the same thing as Aoibheann. Only questions I'm not gonna be ready to do are the options that aren't mine. Better to choose questions on the day.

Hurrah!

Though I was looking at the first option, question 8, maclaurin series/integration by parts/etc and it looks fairly reasonable. I'd be tempted to try it aswell if I have a spare 15-20 minutes! ;) But yeah, study for 8 questions a paper and you can't go wrong. (Y)

• Advertisement

NADA wrote:
    **** our teacher is only doing 6 on each paper with us. Apparently said the stinker questions wont take you out of the 90% bracket. Still. Is there anyone else apart from Garret(who is in my class) doing this.

There's generally some cross over in each of the questions (with algebra knowledge coming in several of the other topics, as an example), so with a week or two study you could ace a 7th question. You still have plenty of time to do this, but if you're going to go this route, I'd start sooner rather then later. Also, for support, have a chat with your teacher so that you are going along correctly with your 7th question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

NADA wrote:
    My class is doing this as well...I don't plan to get an A or even a good B in honours maths so the "stinker questions" shouldn't stop me getting a C.

Advertisement