Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching for Data on The Timeline of Broadband Availability

Options
  • 26-08-2009 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,

I am currently undertaking academic research on broadband in Ireland. In particular i am currently looking at the spread/diffusion of broadband adoption.

Unfortunately i'm finding it difficult to find the 'turn-on' dates for affordable (i.e., non-satellite) retail broadband for households.

The data i need is the turn-on date (year will do) for towns of over 1000 people (the towns identified in the 2006 Census).

As such i would be grateful to anyone that might know where to find this data.

Presumably eircom knows but they have proven unresponsive so far.

thanks,

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭clohamon

wasmeir wrote: »

Presumably eircom knows but they have proven unresponsive so far.

There's some archive press releases here going back to Mid-2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wasmeir

Thanks Clohamon. This confirms they should have the archived information going all the way back, even if these press releases only extend back to 2006/7.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

search boards for

phil nolan AND exchanges

it was roughly

1. Big towns 2003
    2. Towns above 1500 persons in NB! census 2002 NB! and announced c.2005

This gave us around 400 exchanges .

Then

3. 100 more exchanges 2006 maybe announced by Nolan maybe danon
    4. 330 exchanges 2007 announced by Danon not Nolan who was gone by then

we should be coming towards the end of the 330 tranche now but only 2/3rd is done , see

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055534012

Couple of mid decade dribs and drabs done on GBS and by Udarás na Gaeltachta .

None of them were completed bang on schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

I don't know how much help this is to you, but eircom maintain a site at www.broadbandatoz.ie which shows which exchanges are upgraded, or planned to be upgraded to DSL broadband. Although it's mainly for rural exchanges and only really deals with the last 300 or so eircom are planning to enable.

That said, the news archives do show dates and names of exchanges which have been enabled over the last year or so so it may be of some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The amber programme extended DSL availability to more areas than any exchange enabling ever did. I think the press releases gave the numbers of lines which were now eligible to use DSL because of each attenuation limit increase, but it was of the order of 5 digits each time.

Sorry that I don't have figures for the number of lines involved, but eircom press releases would definitely have them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement