Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin running clubs training times

Options
  • 22-06-2015 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a consolidated list of the Dublin running clubs and their weekly training schedules? I'm going to do the Dublin marathon and need to join a club for the extra motivation. Can anyone recommend any good clubs around the Phoenix park area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/find-a-club There is a link to each of their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

That map is everything wrong with the AAI in a nutshell..

They clearly have the map markers at the address of the legal address the AAI have the clubs, or the admin contact [*or something*]

So the map markers are no where near where folks actually go to join the club or train [so Crusaders in between UCD and Stillorgan and Raheny is in Finglas, all the phoenix park based clubs are outside of the park. If I want to take a look at that map, I want to see what clubs are near me, and it is zero help on that. So it was done by someone with no common sense &/Or no knowledge of the clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

yes, that map is a mess, completely pointless (except maybe outside Dublin)

near Phoenix park you have Donore Harriers (Chapelizod), Liffey Valley (Islandbridge) and Metro St Brigids (Castleknock end?). Don't know what times they train

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

RayCun wrote: »
    yes, that map is a mess, completely pointless (except maybe outside Dublin)

near Phoenix park you have Donore Harriers (Chapelizod), Liffey Valley (Islandbridge) and Metro St Brigids (Castleknock end?). Don't know what times they train

Also Civil Service Harriers - their clubhouse is in the Park itself, opposite the zoo.

Re: weekly training schedules - a lot of clubs do intervals on Tuesday, tempo runs on Thursday, Hills on Saturday and long runs on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

That map is everything wrong with the AAI in a nutshell..

They clearly have the map markers at the address of the legal address the AAI have the clubs, or the admin contact [*or something*]

So the map markers are no where near where folks actually go to join the club or train [so Crusaders in between UCD and Stillorgan and Raheny is in Finglas, all the phoenix park based clubs are outside of the park. If I want to take a look at that map, I want to see what clubs are near me, and it is zero help on that. So it was done by someone with no common sense &/Or no knowledge of the clubs

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/about/contact-us

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Donore 7pm Tuesday and Thursday
    10am (men) 9:15 (ladies ) Saturday
    10am Sunday

Most clubs will have training times on their site, I think msb and Liffey valley are much the same.
    Are MSB not based on chapelizod rd in one of the boat clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

As an add-on, I'm not sure many clubs will have training aimed at marathon running; I know my club doesn't, its about cross country, track, shorter road races.

I personally would say its disingenuous to show up and train with a club if you don't plan to run these races, as the coaches by and large are volunteers who are giving up their time for the club, as opposed to the individual runner. And you cant prepare for the cross country season AND run the marathon. (personally I think you would be far better off doing cross country than doing the marathon anyway, but that's just imho).

Anyway, maybe some other club members might let us know if they do specific marathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    As an add-on, I'm not sure many clubs will have training aimed at marathon running; I know my club doesn't, its about cross country, track, shorter road races.

I personally would say its disingenuous to show up and train with a club if you don't plan to run these races, as the coaches by and large are volunteers who are giving up their time for the club, as opposed to the individual runner. And you cant prepare for the cross country season AND run the marathon. (personally I think you would be far better off doing cross country than doing the marathon anyway, but that's just imho).

Anyway, maybe some other club members might let us know if they do specific marathon training.

I would like to do the marathon this year anyway, I've done a 45km trail run before, would this be similar to cross country?

Ideally I would like to join a club who is aimed at the marathon just for the social/company/motivation on the long weekend runs as would find them pretty boring otherwise I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd say drop down to donore or wherever clubs are close, have a chat with members ,coaches etc and see what you think.

Most clubs will allow you to do a few sessions before joining.

I disagree with the above poster by the way, most clubs would gear training towards the marathon between now and October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

adrian522 wrote: »
    I disagree with the above poster by the way, most clubs would gear training towards the marathon between now and October.

+1 - Pretty much all of the clubs mentioned above will have groups of various standards that'll be working towards Dublin. If you're going to join, it would probably make sense to do other sessions with the club too and, depending on your level of fitness, it would probably bring you on a bit.

For a male novice runner, cross-country races would generally be 5k-6k and the terrain would generally be hilly parkland - the area around the magazine fort in the Phoenix Park is used as a cross country course. You don't have to do it though and lots of club runners don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yea, I know Crusaders have a big marathon training group, with the weekend runs in the Park, and midweek sessions in Islandbridge [We had 40 or 50 in the race last year], and in my runs around the park I see a big group doing laps in/around the polo grounds that I always assumed was Dunore from the direction I see them coming and/going but can't be sure..RQ?

But also from doing DCM you see a large amount of the different club singlets floating about - and you have to make the assumption that groups train together, be that formally or informally. Email the club contact and see what suits you..

The clubs will all be welcoming and glad of new folks, and generally will have some groups at a few ability levels..

Advertisement