Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new "neutral" runners - Help!

• 18-06-2015 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭

I'm looking for a new pair. Without getting a gait analysis done I have worked out that I seem to be neutral.. The wet foot test seems to show up what a stereotypical foot print looks like.. so I have an arch after all.

I picked up a pair of GT2000s.. but later discover theyre recommended for mild to moderate over pronation.. they feel ok but I haven't trained in them yet.

The gel nimbus feels too squidgy to me..

Next in line were the nike Pegasus 32s? Any feelings on these?

Don't do a massive amount of mileage.. 35k per week maybe.. toying with idea of marathon in October..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

shansey wrote: »
    I'm looking for a new pair. Without getting a gait analysis done I have worked out that I seem to be neutral.. The wet foot test seems to show up what a stereotypical foot print looks like.. so I have an arch after all.

I picked up a pair of GT2000s.. but later discover theyre recommended for mild to moderate over pronation.. they feel ok but I haven't trained in them yet.

The gel nimbus feels too squidgy to me..

Next in line were the nike Pegasus 32s? Any feelings on these?

Don't do a massive amount of mileage.. 35k per week maybe.. toying with idea of marathon in October..

to be honest if you're thinking of doing a marathon I'd recommend you go and get some expert advice, if you're based in Dublin there are a few very good places, The Run Hub in Ashtown (Kevin) Runways in Parnell St, Runlogic in Temple Bar (Ash) or Amphibian King in Bray or Ballymount. Its worth getting the right runners for you rather than buying off the peg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

If considering the marathon you need to ditch the km.
    Also agree with FD above yet don't understand why you would be against a gait analysis as it is specifically designed for accessing your individual running style with no obligation to buy if worried about expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭shansey

aquinn wrote: »
    If considering the marathon you need to ditch the km.

Ditch the KM?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Yeah, it's all about miles around here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I'm looking for a new pair. Without getting a gait analysis done I have worked out that I seem to be neutral.. The wet foot test seems to show up what a stereotypical foot print looks like.. so I have an arch after all..

Wet foot test does not show your foot dynamically.

As useful as a chocolate teapot when it comes to selecting & fitting running shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 ArgieExile

aquinn wrote: »
    Yeah, it's all about miles around here :D

Nah - Kilometers are much better - They come around faster in a Marathon - In my case every 5 minutes, feels like I'm getting somewhere, rather than every 8 minutes :D

IF you are neutral, then despite what you say, I have found the Nimbus excellent, although the latest Asics Cumulus is almost as good - It may feel less squidgy for you.... However, I would go for the gait check, virtually every decent running shop will do this for you, and advise on which is the right shoe -

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You just go ahead and enjoy your 42 Kilometers, personally I'll be kicking back in the bar after a mere 26.2 Miles

adrian522 wrote: »
    You just go ahead and enjoy your 42 Kilometers, personally I'll be kicking back in the bar after a mere 26.2 Miles

That's my plan, you get to the bar first, you get the round in... I'll have a demi-litre of Guinness please :)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭shansey

Went to Base 2 Race.. Fantastic service and didn't push any products on me at all! In fact told me to go try find the runners I used previously!

I mildly overpronate on my left foot only.. the right is spot on.

• Advertisement

Went to Base 2 Race.. Fantastic service and didn't push any products on me at all! In fact told me to go try find the runners I used previously!

I mildly overpronate on my left foot only.. the right is spot on.

I do think this is the measure of a really good shop. Last time I was in amphibian king I walked out with no new shoes but a fcuk load of running advice :)

For what it's worth, if you are trying neutral shoes, I like the Saucony Ride range. The 8s are out and I shall be buying them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Also in the Saucony neutral range I'm in my second pair of Breakthrus and really like them.
    Bought my second pair in Amphibian King last week, went through the whole fitting process again but the Breakthrus just seem to suit me best at the moment. Even though you can feel the road a bit more in them I kinda prefer that that running on something too squishy! A few more longer LSRs in my marathon training might change my mind on that so good to have gone through the process again to be sure when I'm at and what I need. I liked the Ride as well actually and if I want more cushioning that's what I'll likely go with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭amber2

I know this is a bit OT as I'm not suggesting a suitable running shoe for you, but Amazon.de have a great sale on at the moment if you do decide on something particular. I run in Merrell Bare Access and got 2 pairs for less than the price of one pair here... May be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 HMathlete

Go to Amphibian King in Base2Race in Ballymount and make an appointment with Gary Crosson. Wealth of knowledge on all things running, especially Marathon.

One of the previous posters suggests the Saucony Neutral range. I completely agree; Kinvara are my current preferred trainer.

Advertisement