Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BHAA 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I see it is not possible to enter the K Club online just yet.
    THE ONLINE REGISTRATION FORM IS CURRENTLY DISABLED WHILE WE PREPARE FOR THE NEXT BHAA EVENT. REGISTRATION IS AVAILABLE ON THE DAY AT THE NEXT EVENT. SEE YOU THERE.

Do you know if the online registration will be enabled after the next event, or do you have to turn up in person?
    Is there a limit on numbers?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

Online registration will be re-activated as soon as possible. Overall, we prefer that people enter online, particularly for races that tend to have big numbers. Pre-entry facilitates quicker production of results etc. For the K Club last year, online entry was compulsory unless you were either a member or prepared to sign up as a member on the day. In practical terms, there would be a limit of around 500 for the K Club race and if that number was looking likely, there would probably be a restriction coming up the the race date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Site is back up and running, I've just registered for the K club 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Me too! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Im trying to sign up for the RTE 5 Mile. Is the site down again because when I click on the payment button, nothing happens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I'll be there. I ran this race two years ago and loved it. The post race feed alone makes it worth the trip :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Sunny morning. Good course. Abundance of hot dogs and cookies afterwards. Lovely facilities.
    Entry: a tenner.
    Can't believe it's over three years since my last Bhaa race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great event today, course is fast and the spread afterwards was beyond brilliant. Thanks to the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

It was a bit windy out there today, but it was great to catch up with so many familiar faces, and those cookies and pastries after made up for all the pain (almost) :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Excellent event. The course was well-measured, well-stewarded, well organised (e.g. with the water station available on two occasions on account of the looped course, i.e. allows people to choose whether to take on fluids first time, second time or both), and a great spread of food afterwards.
    Good to see that it taps into local clubs and meet-and-train groups in the mid-Leinster area, though it was still nice to see so many familiar BHAA faces. (I hadn't run a BHAA race since the middle of last year, though the term 'run' might be something of an exaggeration in terms of what I did today - long, slow path to recovery).
    I heard that last year some of the road races weren't as well attended as previously, but given that there are so many competing events, e.g. ParkRuns etc, I can't see how the individual race organisers or BHAA committee volunteers would have anything to worry about if today is any guideline re projected numbers. (The first BHAA road race of 2015, the 4 miler in Raheny, clashed with the Dunboyne 4 miler on the same weekend, but it looks like every weekend will probably have an event of some description. I'll look forward to some of the mid-week events over the summer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Congratulations to the organisers on a great race. 440 entries were mentioned!

A tenner in and a great spread at the end. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Set a big PB for myself at this run (worried I'll never be able to better t it! :) )
    Amazing spread of food afterwards, the best I've ever seen.
    The start is a bit tight but other than that a nice route. The wind seemed to be with us more than against us which was nice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

On the BHAA calendar there is an entry for Sept 11th saying 10km/10M?? Road Race ??

Does anyone know anything about this? Looking for a 10K race for that weekend.

http://bhaa.ie/calendar-2015/

adrian522 wrote: »
    On the BHAA calendar there is an entry for Sept 11th saying 10km/10M?? Road Race ??

Does anyone know anything about this? Looking for a 10K race for that weekend.

[ul]

Haven't heard anything definite.

That slot used to be Dublin Bus 10 miler in Rathcoole. Later Gerard Kirwan filled the gap as the Irish Pearl Izumi distributor and hosted the race under that label for a year or two in Knocklyon, Firhouse directions. Then Grant Thornton took up the mantle, running a 10k for a few years, but the Dublin docklands 5k at that time of year takes them from the BHAA race organising fray.

It seems to be an unhappy/unlucky slot: I suspect that the Dublin Half-Marathon and other autumnal events crowd it out at that time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

emerald007 wrote: »

I have convinced 17 people from work to sign up for this, not bad from at total of 60. Looking forward to it and hopefully the weather is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Looks like the sun will shine for tonights 5k on Sandymount strand. Hopefully that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Great race in Dunboyne on Tues evening.
    First time doing this race and the course was excellent. Got stuck too far back at the start and probably lost up to 10 seconds because of this, but everything else was great.
    Finished in 33:55 - a 30sec PB on Terenure.

Good to catch up with a few boardsies on the evening too.
    One query though: I offered the €15 entry fee for a day runner but was told that it was only €10 tonight...was that just a mistake or was there some other reason for this?

Definitely one for next year anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Trinity Track 10th June

I've never done this event before (something always seems to crop up :rolleyes:) so really looking forward to it this year. Just curious if people tend to do both events on offer (1200m and 2000m) or just the one ?

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Great race in Dunboyne on Tues evening.
    First time doing this race and the course was excellent. Got stuck too far back at the start and probably lost up to 10 seconds because of this, but everything else was great.
    Finished in 33:55 - a 30sec PB on Terenure.

Good to catch up with a few boardsies on the evening too.
    One query though: I offered the €15 entry fee for a day runner but was told that it was only €10 tonight...was that just a mistake or was there some other reason for this?

Definitely one for next year anyways!

Day members pay €15, members €10. However, there have been cases where a person registered during the middle of the cross-country season, i.e. at the end of last year, not realising that the membership holds good for the summer road, track, beach and park runs this year.

I was on one of the registration desks. In the old days there used to be a very fussy screen with a former member marked as ', inactive'. The process of taking the €15 annual membership fee plus the €10 race fee used to then involve several stages, and much grumpiness in the queues, as members used not show up on the printed membership lists that were used for taking race registrations back in those days. I haven't been running too many BHAA races for the past few years (or been involved in registration as a result) but noticed that the registration/reactivation of lapsed members seemed a little easier. Perhaps you got a lucky break? Then again I noticed that the Dunboyne runners' registration process was running in parallel. There are probably any amount of reasons for the €5 going astray.

If you're running 3 races in the year as a day member (3 x €15) then you're better off joining as a member for €15 and paying €10 per race. You'd also be eligible for team prizes with your workplace.

The Trinity Track is a great event. If you work in the city centre do check it out in June: there's something very different about racing on grass instead of the track.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Trinity Track 10th June

I've never done this event before (something always seems to crop up :rolleyes:) so really looking forward to it this year. Just curious if people tend to do both events on offer (1200m and 2000m) or just the one ?

People often do more than one event but, given the spread of abilities, they sometimes need to merge certain races. This can make for a flat-out attempt at the 1,200 m out of an irrational fear of being lapped and/or being taken along by the initial surge, with the 2k then being a hobble. If you're going to do more than one event just keep in mind that, although they'll try their best to ensure a balanced grouping of abilities, there might be a few races in which hares, greyhounds and tortoises are paired.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ArgieExile

As a tortoise, I am looking forward to tonights races... Hopefully I can run a 5 minute 1200m (at Standard 17), and won't quite get lapped if they put us together.... The 2Km might be a different kettle of fish....

ArgieExile wrote: »
    As a tortoise, I am looking forward to tonights races... Hopefully I can run a 5 minute 1200m (at Standard 17), and won't quite get lapped if they put us together.... The 2Km might be a different kettle of fish....

I came out of my shell for the 1.2k/.75 mile.

For the 2k/1.25 mile I felt a bit like Wiley Coyote chasing the RoadRunner out into a cloud of smoke then finding he's over the edge of the cliff. Certainly the 5th lap was my cliff plunge. (I almost heard the guys ahead of me making some sort of Meep, meep sounds).

Very enjoyable.

What a great evening's racing ! Did both events and really enjoyed them.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    What a great evening's racing ! Did both events and really enjoyed them.

How did you find the merging of the different standards? For the 2k the poor chap was calling "two laps ... three laps" for the different people passing, but he got every single call right. (The joys of traditional clipboard criers and scribes rather than chip timing).

Overall I think it would have been an encouraging experience for people, as the 5 min milers will still find their way around anyway but it lets others give chase for a few meters.

My poor Garmin couldn't cope: I was apparently climbing a hill and descending a valley each lap. I had held back a little in the first race, so was perhaps a bit too cautious, but the second race was good fun. (I'm a 17 standard, so was lapping people in the second race, a very rare phenomenon when it comes to my running). Looking forward to seeing the official finish times.

How did you find the merging of the different standards? For the 2k the poor chap was calling "two laps ... three laps" for the different people passing, but he got every single call right. (The joys of traditional clipboard criers and scribes rather than chip timing).

Overall I think it would have been an encouraging experience for people, as the 5 min milers will still find their way around anyway but it lets others give chase for a few meters.

My poor Garmin couldn't cope: I was apparently climbing a hill and descending a valley each lap. I had held back a little in the first race, so was perhaps a bit too cautious, but the second race was good fun. (I'm a 17 standard, so was lapping people in the second race, a very rare phenomenon when it comes to my running). Looking forward to seeing the official finish times.

I decided to ditch the Garmin and just run by feel and it was great! Very much a back to basics evening all right with the hand timing and the clipboards. There was just one race for all the women regardless of standard but the numbers wouldn't have justified breaking in down any further. It did mean some people got lapped but I doubt that would have discouraged anyone. In fact the support from the students was great, they didn't even throw their beer cans at us :D

Really enjoyed tonight. Came away with an individual prize and a team victory too, the first a little surprised to get. Went off too fast in the 3 lap,90 secs for the first lap and had nothing in the legs for the last 50m.... Think I finished 5th in the race, not too sure, 4.50 something I think. Ran a better 2k, even paced and around 9 mins but still nothing in the legs at the end. Thoroughly enjoyed the night, great craic, great organisation, and took me back to the 70's and old style track races .... Wish I could run as fast as I did back then.....

We must have been in the same races last night as I'm a 17 as well -

• Advertisement

PDF format results from last night are aviable now. http://bhaa.ie/trinity-track-2015-pdf-results/

Advertisement