Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clontarf Half Marathon July 4th 2015

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Ah! But where is the Gazebo!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Pink11 wrote: »
    Ah! But where is the Gazebo!?

at the Start/finish line. And that's at...
    The PDF wrote:
    ALL the races in JULY have the adjusted start location on the Promenade opposite the Yaught Pub (circa +400metres from the usual start area)

Oh perfect. All makes sense now. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

I was given choice of medium or large tshirt last night, took the large, but haven't tried it on yet. Not hopeful of it fitting though :( being big boned its sometimes an issue haha

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Bravestaar

The t-shirts are horrible anyway. They are the same ones they give out every single year. I just bin them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Bravestaar

Phoebas wrote: »
    I think the starting points for both races are the same (opposite the Yaught).

Ah sound. Awkward for parking with both races starting at the same location. I liked the old start where you just ran the one way. It was a lovely warm down coming back along the front.

I guess I'll just off my bike and cycle down.

Bravestaar wrote: »
    The t-shirts are horrible anyway. They are the same ones they give out every single year. I just bin them at this stage.

haha grand. I'll try not to cry if I don't get one tomorrow.

How is everyone feeling about it tomorrow? I can't wait! It was pretty hot this morning though I found so reckon conditions might be pretty warm too tomorrow?

haha grand. I'll try not to cry if I don't get one tomorrow.

How is everyone feeling about it tomorrow? I can't wait! It was pretty hot this morning though I found so reckon conditions might be pretty warm too tomorrow?

Looking forward to it, just hope it's a calm breeze on the beach. Rain forecast tonight, so looking like might be a bit cooler in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Nervous! This is my second attempt at a half, my first was Balbriggan on Paddy's day and my knee completely gave out (an old childhood injury) despite having the stamina and pace is set, so I had to call it a day half way through that. This time round with work going mental and a few other things I haven't trained nearly as much as I'd like, so I'm setting the goal of finishing this one. A sub two hour will be the bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Best of luck Gillo, hope the knee holds out for you this time.

Looking forward to it myself, off out to collect my number now. Hoping parking won't be a disaster.

The number is so long it barely fits on my top. Wonder could I cut off the 'single, maybe, taken' thing?

The number is so long it barely fits on my top. Wonder could I cut off the 'single, maybe, taken' thing?

No reason why not, just be careful not to cut the timing chip.

I've never seen that single/ taken thing before. The state I'll be in by the end of be somewhat suspicious if someone tried chatting me up at the end.

Hoping it dries up a bit more by 10:00!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Mines just a number. No harm was not going to fill mine out to add a little mystery. :o
    Good luck to everyone running the half or the 5 mile. Hope we have a few PB's. The ran last night seems to have cooled the weather a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Just picked up my number. The relationship status but is really strange! #awkward

Best of luck everybody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Just home from the 5 mile race
    bang on 35 mins which was bang on target.

• Advertisement

micar wrote: »
    Just home from the 5 mile race
    bang on 35 mins which was bang on target.

Well done mate. 38:XX myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

The sun and then the wind!

That's what I call a character building race

2,11:52 for the half. Not an amazing time but considering all I'm happy out! Serious thanks to the random people and the motivational words to help me on.

Anyone know when the official times are published?

2.05:32 that was tough, I struggled the last 2 mile. The wind coming back was tough, then the beach as well :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

They'll be on redtag timing later today I'd imagine.

Paced the 1:40 group today. Banked 40 seconds on the way out but it was still very tough coming back, especially the wind on the beach. It must have been very tough on people chasing PBs today.

Www.redtagtiming.com. But nothing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AlanPat

Head wind on the beach on the way back was tough. Made it impossible for me to get PB.
    Great support from everyone, well done to everyone who completed, well organised race as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nichakhun

menoscemo wrote: »
    They'll be on redtag timing later today I'd imagine.

Paced the 1:40 group today. Banked 40 seconds on the way out but it was still very tough coming back, especially the wind on the beach. It must have been very tough on people chasing PBs today.

Massive Thanks to you today...Getting me inside the 1:40.

wind and sun were killers but a great event overall!

My second half marathon ever, my first being this race last November. The sun was a bit of a pain, as was the wind on the way back, but especially the wind on the beach on the way back wasn't what I was looking for.

Got in in 1:51:33, which is a 7 minute improvement on last year, so I'm very happy with that.

Beer was a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Fininshed in 1:46:01
    The beach killed me both times. First time out on it I dropped back to 1:45 wave.
    Managed to make up a lot of time on the way back up from Sutton but lost it again on the beach.
    Tough but very enjoyable.

Got in in 1:51:33, which is a 7 minute improvement on last year, so I'm very happy with that.

BOOM! That's an impressive time. My second attempt at a half and first to complete, I'm determined to come in under 2 hours for the next.

Out of curiosity did anyone actually check out that single / taken lark? I was tempted but struggling through the race itself was enough.
    I have to agree with both the sun and wind, to be honest I found the sun harder in the outwards leg, the wind while hard was nearly a welcome relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kieran6

Very well organised event today. First half marathon race and managed to scrape under 1:30. A big shout out to the 90min pacers that kept me motivated for the last two km's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Struggled to 01:57 or so. I'd done this back in November in about 01:50, so not a great outcome. (It's been a good few years since I've broken 01:45, and on today's performance it looks beyond me for the autumn half marathons).

However, I think the organisers should be given special thanks for the improvements on November's race, e.g. the walkers were sent out that bit earlier, which made it so much easier to navigate the narrow enough paths for the first two miles. (Back in November there was congestion, weaving and some other minor mishaps for the first mile or so). Raheny Shamrocks provided many of the stewards, and there was no delay at any of the water stations. The half-pint of beer afterwards was a nice touch too.

I think the course was a little long, but I probably strayed a little on the beach - both down and back - as I tried to find some hard sand, so it's hard to tell. I think the combination of sun and wind will probably limit the number of PBs seen today but overall I think it's a good addition to the race calendar.

Www.redtagtiming.com. But nothing yet

Results are up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Results are up.
    I have to say it's a touch frustrating to see that most of the group myself and Overprontor got over the line were actually first wave runners and thus didn't make it in sub 1:40. We started in Wave 2 about a minute after the 1st wave...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Results are up.

1.17 is a great winning time.

Was just a spectator this year. Thought it was poor enough from them to miss the 1/2 marathon winner crossing the line (also missed 2nd). I have been at races where the microphone guy has a page with participants names on it and says your name while crossing the line. I like that a lot. I wouldnt have a cue what number I was wearing, so wouldn't know he was referring to me if he said "Number xxx"

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭YESROH

Just to say thanks lovely race, but the wind all the way back was a killer. Got a pb just about but the last three miles where tougher than the hills in the phoenix park. Glad I did it as was going to jump ship and do the 5 miler do to a sore knee. Well done everyone.

Results are up.

Woohoo been waiting for my chip time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Kieran6 wrote: »
    Very well organised event today. First half marathon race and managed to scrape under 1:30. A big shout out to the 90min pacers that kept me motivated for the last two km's

Well done Kieran. I was the 90 min pacer in the orange top with the balloon! Fair play to you, 130 in today's conditions bodes very well for you knocking a few mins off at your next half marathon, where hopefully youll get better conditions. Very tough out there today.

Well done to you all. Was a really well organised event and it was no hassle to collect our tops at the end. They had them reserved for us.

Just a quick background so you know I didn't walk into this blindly! I have been running for years - normally raced in 10ks only so this is my first half in a race setting. I felt well prepared and was really looking forward to it...

However, I had an absolute shocker of a day. Everything went wrong on me. I was sick Friday night (I think a lot of this was due to nerves!) so I was dehydrated Saturday. Couldn't sleep because I was anxious about my first half AND I was wondering if I'd be able to make it to the start line at all!

Got up when my alarm went off and felt like crap but I just said to myself look, you've paid and registered, been training with this in mind for months, I'll give it a go.

Relieved to read you all felt the conditions were tough - I thought it was just me as I was unwell but man I really struggled. Even though I run this course most weeks myself in training.

That beach..... it was a form of torture! Knowing we had to come back and do it all again was horrible! To say I struggled was an understatement. I took off with the 1.45 pacers and had to pull back about 5km in. I just couldn't keep up. I pushed myself way too hard at the start (I should have allowed for the fact I wasn't feeling in top form) and been more generous to myself. My legs felt heavy for the entire run. I was hot, uncomfortable and the wind was dire the whole time. Had to drink loads to make up for my dehydration which only led to stomach cramps and stitches. It was the longest 21kms I have ever run. As said, I should have been able to hit a 1.45/50 and I finished a couple minutes after 2 hours.

The supporters were fantastic. I had to stop and walk in the last km, almost fit to burst into tears of frustration but the crowd were amazing and some of the people who had already finished came back to cheer us on which was really really kind. One day when I can finish faster, I'm going to make sure I do the same for others! It really did help.

Just wasn't my day but on the plus side I've my first half under my belt and I have learned so much. I was upset yesterday but after talking it out with a few people I realise it's not so bad and I've a starting point for the next one. I'm also pain free today which is a bonus!

Had sea salt (I think!?) all over myself - only noticed when I was having a shower though.

I also made the mistake of not eating enough! I was so weak with the hunger on that last never ending km. I devoured a donut - something I never thought I'd be able to eat after a run! To be honest after that donut I felt like I could have run more. I think looking back I might have been hungry for a good part of the race.

It would have been nice if our medals and tops had half marathon only on them. Just as a souvenir - would have been nice to have.

Sorry for the long rambling post. Hope everyone had a good day yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

I came into the half marathon from a month mostly off running to let a niggling leg injury to heal. Only did about 20km altogether for the month of June.

The Clontarf coast is my regular training route and I can generally do it in about 1.40 for half marathon distance. For some crazy reason I decided to attempt to do as many 1.30 pace kms as possible. Big mistake. This lasted only 7km and then the lack of fitness, sun and wind all took their toll. It's a long while since i've ran this route where the little voice in my head says to stop and start walking. Thankfully that voice disappeared once I turned to loop back at sutton :) I plodded on up the beach and changed my goal to just finishing.

On the way back it wasn't so bad, just a bit depressing to see the 1.40 pacers pass me by. Last few kms were just fighting to stay within 1.45 which I was happy to meet.

Very well organised race. Plus would be the fact that their was plenty of space along the route and no congestion. The sun was nice to chill out in at the end of the race as well. Looking forward to the next one and hopefully a better time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I took off with the 1.45 pacers and had to pull back about 5km in. I just couldn't keep up.

I was one of the 1:45 pacers (yellow t-shirt). I can assure you that you weren't the only person that suffered. We had a lot less with us at the finish than we did in the first 5k (or even the beach on the way back). From my own point of view I was so glad I was pacing and not racing. Conditions were really awful for the latter. Every single person who raced yesterday (regardless of whether they had a good or bad result) is capable of better on a more suitable day.

Have to agree about the medal. Would've been nice to have had 1 saying half maratho finisher rather than a job lot, which probably covered the battle of clontarf back in April

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I was one of the 1:45 pacers (yellow t-shirt). I can assure you that you weren't the only person that suffered. We had a lot less with us at the finish than we did in the first 5k (or even the beach on the way back). From my own point of view I was so glad I was pacing and not racing. Conditions were really awful for the latter. Every single person who raced yesterday (regardless of whether they had a good or bad result) is capable of better on a more suitable day.

Aw, I remember you! And watching you guys pull away slowly from me as I fell back into the wilderness haha!

Thanks for your kind words, I really appreciate it. It honestly makes me feel much better. Like you said wookiesleep, it was depressing to have the slower pacers pass you out. It became a mental fight yesterday more than anything for me. I've never felt so low mentally during a race but I know I will gain from this. I was having full blown conversations with myself during the race! I'm so determined to work harder now and really do myself justice at the Rock n' Roll half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

I found it a killer. Done my first half marathon in May in 1:30 so was hoping to get close to it.
    But I knew that there being a beach to tackle would lead to a slower time..
    I was stuck to the 1:30 pacer like glue up until we hit the beach :)

I ended up finishing just under 1:37. That's a big difference. Something like 15/20 seconds a lap!
    The sand was really really tough. And one stage on the way back, I thought I was going backwards. The wind was very strong..
    A side from the tough conditions, I just never really got going despite a lot of planning.
    Ahwell, glad to be done with it. A Saturday morning well spent and look forward to my next race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

That beach..... it was a form of torture! Knowing we had to come back and do it all again was horrible! To say I struggled was an understatement. I took off with the 1.45 pacers and had to pull back about 5km in. I just couldn't keep up. I pushed myself way too hard at the start (I should have allowed for the fact I wasn't feeling in top form) and been more generous to myself. My legs felt heavy for the entire run. I was hot, uncomfortable and the wind was dire the whole time. Had to drink loads to make up for my dehydration which only led to stomach cramps and stitches. It was the longest 21kms I have ever run. As said, I should have been able to hit a 1.45/50 and I finished a couple minutes after 2 hours.

A half marathon can be very hard to judge. The various online "race time predictor" tools, e.g. ...
    http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/race-times-predictor
    ... only make things a lot worse, as people see a 5 mile or 10k time and think "ah I'll definitely be in the hunt for that corresponding half marathon time", but no only does it presuppose a whole different training schedule for the distance races it also presumes injury-free in the medium term or any short term day-before-race problems.

The result can be that people will go out with a "run through this short term discomfort/pain" mentality and in reality just burn up. If it's any consolation, here's me on Saturday, trying to stick to an 8:15 ish pace regardless of the conditions and how I felt, and blowing up on the beach for 10 plus min miles on the way back for the last 2-3 miles:
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/823385633
    Btw here's an counter example of although apparently yo-yo-ing up/down a hilly half marathon, I was broadly sticking to a plan, which got me under the 8 min miles on the chip timing (I'd set off my watch a little too soon before the starting mat):
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/66996376

In short, it's very, very difficult to judge racing 13.1 miles, i.e. you can have what you think is a good training regime in place but - unlike the 5 mile or 10k races - you can't just slot in a half-marathon each weekend to learn from the experience. Hopefully Saturday won't put you off the longer distance races: my first half marathon (I won't say back when) was a c.2 hour event when I'd publicly told people I was aiming for 1:55 but all my private planning was for a 1:40 - 1:45 result to match a notional standard in various running magazines. (Those were the days before the online pace calculators became prevalent).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

My first time doing this half marathon and only my second ever half marathon (first was the Burren last year). Delighted to get 2 hours 17. Probably could have gone marginally quicker but I think the wind sapped whatever energy reserve I had stored up.
    Great day out there. Well organised event. Looking forward to the November run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

The race was definitely better organised this year, that in times past. The weather mostly played ball, with only a mild breeze on the beach section return leg (I can still remember 2010)...

The beer and donut at the finish line were both nice touches.

Ran the race as a paced training run, with one of my club-mates, taking thing very easy and chatting and slagging until the turn at 6.5m, then we upped the pace from there back to the start and passed plenty of other runners. Still the last mile was difficult, with a 1:38 finish.

Over all an improving, "fun run" type race, and one that I will be definitely be back from next year. :)

43 pages of photos on racepix & not 1 of me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

menoscemo wrote: »
    Results are up.
    I have to say it's a touch frustrating to see that most of the group myself and Overprontor got over the line were actually first wave runners and thus didn't make it in sub 1:40. We started in Wave 2 about a minute after the 1st wave...

This but for the 5 miler; reckon the first mile where I'd to weave in around people, a lot of it on the grass, cost me ~30 secs. Very frustrating. They didn't do a great job of the turning point either coming back across the wooden bridge, lot of crossing going on.
    1.17 is a great winning time.

Was just a spectator this year. Thought it was poor enough from them to miss the 1/2 marathon winner crossing the line (also missed 2nd). I have been at races where the microphone guy has a page with participants names on it and says your name while crossing the line. I like that a lot. I wouldnt have a cue what number I was wearing, so wouldn't know he was referring to me if he said "Number xxx"

Yeah they did that in the one in Wexford and it was a nice touch.

cson wrote: »
    This but for the 5 miler; reckon the first mile where I'd to weave in around people, a lot of it on the grass, cost me ~30 secs. Very frustrating. They didn't do a great job of the turning point either coming back across the wooden bridge, lot of crossing going on.

Yeah they did that in the one in Wexford and it was a nice touch.

Agreed cson. I ended up passing hundred of people in the first 2 miles. Pushed myself a little too hard in the 2nd mile as a result. Same coming back on the wooden bridge had to cross back to the left against a path of slower runner on the way back.

In fairness to the organisers there were signs saying keep to the right, so people didn't get in the way. if people didn't adhere to this then there's not much the organisers can do.

Only other option is to put fencing all the way along the route to split the runners on the return leg, but you'd be looking at extra costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Advertisement