Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy Seeds

Options
  • 17-05-2011 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi All

Is it at all true that u cannot eat Poppy Seeds during pregnancy?

Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Thanks a million.

NBM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Well, this is a new one on me and I thought I knew all the banned foods! I googled it, there seems to be some evidence that poppy seeds can contain traces of morphine-related substances but no real data. I guess it's one more thing to avoid if you're in the better safe than sorry camp. Ask your GP if you're concerned - poppy seeds don't really feature much in my diet so easy enough to cut them out for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 newbabymama

I don't eat them too much myself but have heard a few things about them - whether they are tue or not -I might just leave it just so my mind is at ease : )

Thanks for the reply.

NBM

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bobobear

Dammit, no more superquinn rolls for me... there's poppy seeds all over those lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I betcha it's one of those things that the amount you would have to eat to have any affect whatsoever would be utterly impossible to do. I wouldn't be too worried about a few seeds on some rolls.

Then again if you are worried it's not like the rolls a re vital food that you would miss. In fact I'd be more concerned about avoiding eating white bread if they are white rolls. I was reading that plenty of wholegrain foods are really important in pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Jaysus...

I think i'd have disappeared by now if I didn't eat any of the foods on the "bold" list! :eek:

@Cat Melodeon... I wonder if thats related to opium poppies?

@carwash_2006 I'd be thinking the same thing... it's probably eating a couple of kilos of poppy seeds a day or something ridiculous that could cause some harm!

• Advertisement
Advertisement