Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargains App

Options
  • 28-11-2014 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I made a mobile app where people can find and share great bargains.

It's called 'Bargify' and is available for both iPhone and Android. For more details see http://www.bargify.com

There are lots of bargains up there already and users are adding more all the time. If you spot something, be sure to post it on Bargify.

Apologies if this sounds like I am hijacking the forum for my own benefit. I got permission from one of the mods. The app is free and I am not currently making any money out of it (I am removing the ads - they are annoying and make no revenue).

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

ViperMAN wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

It's called 'Bargify' and is available for both iPhone and Android. For more details see http://www.bargify.com

Thanks!

Like the idea but just like the irish section of hotukdeals I doubt it will be updated enough to be useful. Hopefully I'm proved wrong though. The app looks nice. Good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Cheers OP. Great idea. Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭dubrov

You'll need to add more sorting options so that you can sort by most liked and filter by category etc.
    I guess this would make it more like HUKD which might end up the same way as the Irish HUKD site.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ViperMAN

Thanks everyone for the good wishes and feedback.

@Fresh Pots - I also hope that it won't turn into an Irish version of hotukdeals. My idea is to allow users dictate what a good bargain is. It doesn't have to be a big ticket item - it could also be a slice a cake in their local market or cheap stamps.

@dubrov - yeah I was thinking about adding search and categories, but then its like every other bargain/deal site/app. If you just choose the category you like (say tech gadgets) then you might miss out on other great bargains (beer, pressies for the other half).

If anyone has any feedback on the app (positive or negative) please PM me :)

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Blankety

Just some feedback.

I downloaded and installed the App, it then requires the user to sign up for an account to see any of the content. That shouldn't be necessary in my opinion.
    HDUK, Adverts etc... don't need an account to view content

Maybe I'm unique in not wanting to hand out my email address, so I uninstalled.
    Just my feedback

• Advertisement

Blankety wrote: »
    Just some feedback.

I downloaded and installed the App, it then requires the user to sign up for an account to see any of the content. That shouldn't be necessary in my opinion.
    HDUK, Adverts etc... don't need an account to view content

Maybe I'm unique in not wanting to hand out my email address, so I uninstalled.
    Just my feedback

Hey Blankety,

Thanks for the feedback.

We toy-ed with the idea of allowing open access - in the end we choose not to. Here's why:
    • We see Bargify as more like Instagram rather than HostUKDeals. We don't want to create another 'deals/bargains' website. We wanted to build an app that acts as a community for bargain hunters. Most websites allow free content, most apps require a login (I know there are exceptions but social apps in general ask you to register first).
    • If the content was as simple as just showing a list of bargains then we probably would keep it open access. Bargify allows users to post comments and like bargains. In time we hope to be able to add other features, like the ability to get a push notification if a bargain you are interested is uploaded within X km of you.
    • I know we could of just asked users to login if creating bargains/commenting/etc - but this adds to development time. To have both scenarios at launch would be costly and push the launch date back. Also going forward, when adding new features, we would have to test both registered/un-registered use cases.
    • Finally, we don't have the resources right now to build push notifications. If we don't ask users to register, we can't reach out to them if something goes wrong or to promote new updates. You are probably thinking you will get constant emails about bargains (similar to other group deal sites) - but we don't want Bargify to be like this.

I understand that you do not wish to give out your email address willy-nilly.
    If we get more resources behind us we will definitely consider opening up the viewing of bargains to un-registered users.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Hey best of luck with the app. Can't see it taking off without a desktop site though (and probably a lot of marketing). If HUKD Ireland was used it would be great and much better than this forum or the app.

I see you also copied and pasted up the coffee machine bargain I put on here a few days ago without even changing my text ;)

No way of seeing or flagging deals as expired also which wastes time.

Also can't see an option after signing up to not receive emails.

Hey best of luck with the app. Can't see it taking off without a desktop site though (and probably a lot of marketing). If HUKD Ireland was used it would be great and much better than this forum or the app.

I see you also copied and pasted up the coffee machine bargain I put on here a few days ago without even changing my text ;)

No way of seeing or flagging deals as expired also which wastes time.

Also can't see an option after signing up to not receive emails.

Hi Discombobulate,

Ouch - nobody likes hearing their baby won't take off :(
    I understand what you are saying though. The deals market is saturated. I had some spare time and wanted to learn iOS/Android so I decided on Bargify. In saying that, I do believe that an app would work for more local stuff - things that you can take a quick pic of, add a location and post.

For instance, I was thinking if you say notify me if a bargain mentioning 'beer' is uploaded with 5km of me. I think that is pretty useful and is different to other apps/sites. That and the fact that its not companies posting, its just normal users.

Sorry about your coffee post - had to start somewhere. A bargain app without bargains isn't great!

In relation to expired bargains - I thought of it. I thought of a lot more too but time constraints held me back. I will be adding it though.

There is no option to stop receiving emails because the app currently doesn't send out emails. All emails are manually sent - usually if someone has encountered some problem.

Thanks for the feedback.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Hi Discombobulate,

Ouch - nobody likes hearing their baby won't take off :(
    I understand what you are saying though. The deals market is saturated. I had some spare time and wanted to learn iOS/Android so I decided on Bargify. In saying that, I do believe that an app would work for more local stuff - things that you can take a quick pic of, add a location and post.

For instance, I was thinking if you say notify me if a bargain mentioning 'beer' is uploaded with 5km of me. I think that is pretty useful and is different to other apps/sites. That and the fact that its not companies posting, its just normal users.

Sorry about your coffee post - had to start somewhere. A bargain app without bargains isn't great!

In relation to expired bargains - I thought of it. I thought of a lot more too but time constraints held me back. I will be adding it though.

There is no option to stop receiving emails because the app currently doesn't send out emails. All emails are manually sent - usually if someone has encountered some problem.

Thanks for the feedback.

Brian
    No problem and best of luck with it. If a lot of people start using it then it could definitely become useful. Would be great if it did take off. I love the notification feature on HUKD and something local would be very good e.g. local clothes shop having a 20% off sale etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 PuddinBum

Best of Luck with it Viper. I don't know if you've come across h ttp://p ricespy.i e/

On a design thing though, why Lobster 2.0 font? You dont want your app to blend in with every other generic start up app do you? I think this is a great idea that could be better with it's own identitiy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

Needs to be able to filter by location. Especially if you want people to add local stuff.

Haha - Lobster font because I am not much of a designer.
    I get what you mean though. This is version 1 of the app - in time I will do more work on design.
    PuddinBum wrote: »
    Best of Luck with it Viper. I don't know if you've come across h ttp://p ricespy.i e/

On a design thing though, why Lobster 2.0 font? You dont want your app to blend in with every other generic start up app do you? I think this is a great idea that could be better with it's own identitiy.

The bargains are already (kinda) filtered by location.
    You only see online bargains that are available in Ireland and you only see 'nearby' bargains that are within 50km of your current location.

I am planning to allow users to set the 50km distance to whatever they wish in the future.
    gufc21 wrote: »
    Needs to be able to filter by location. Especially if you want people to add local stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Nice app! Needs an option to not have to login as mentioned above removed as stated above and a storyboard for iPhone 6 screen size. Otherwise it's pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Blankety

Hey Blankety,

Thanks for the feedback.

We toy-ed with the idea of allowing open access - in the end we choose not to. Here's why:
    • We see Bargify as more like Instagram rather than HostUKDeals. We don't want to create another 'deals/bargains' website. We wanted to build an app that acts as a community for bargain hunters. Most websites allow free content, most apps require a login (I know there are exceptions but social apps in general ask you to register first).
    • If the content was as simple as just showing a list of bargains then we probably would keep it open access. Bargify allows users to post comments and like bargains. In time we hope to be able to add other features, like the ability to get a push notification if a bargain you are interested is uploaded within X km of you.
    • I know we could of just asked users to login if creating bargains/commenting/etc - but this adds to development time. To have both scenarios at launch would be costly and push the launch date back. Also going forward, when adding new features, we would have to test both registered/un-registered use cases.
    • Finally, we don't have the resources right now to build push notifications. If we don't ask users to register, we can't reach out to them if something goes wrong or to promote new updates. You are probably thinking you will get constant emails about bargains (similar to other group deal sites) - but we don't want Bargify to be like this.

I understand that you do not wish to give out your email address willy-nilly.
    If we get more resources behind us we will definitely consider opening up the viewing of bargains to un-registered users.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Brian

Thanks for your reply Brian and best of luck with it but the forced login thing is probably something you could introduce when you have built a reputation and user base.
    Without a decent user base it will be difficult to build momentum, look at adverts it took 3 or 4 years before they could introduce charging for sales. But just my two cents worth, you have obviously put a lot more thought into the project than I have.
    If you change the forced login sometime in the future message back here and I'll try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadimmortal

Hi everyone,

There are lots of bargains up there already and users are adding more all the time. If you spot something, be sure to post it on Bargify.

Apologies if this sounds like I am hijacking the forum for my own benefit. I got permission from one of the mods. The app is free and I am not currently making any money out of it (I am removing the ads - they are annoying and make no revenue).

Thanks!

Downloaded it, registered and will keep it, looks good. You said you removed the ads but they are still there. Lets hope the bargains stay up to date. I would like to be able to create my own user name and not have my name taken from the beginning of my email address before the @, there is no option to change my user name or create one from the beginning.

You should also include an option to upload a picture so if we come across a money off coupon for a retail shop we can upload that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭pah

Repeatedly crashing for me after facebook login had to reinstall and register via email. galaxy note 3 running bobcatrom

Willbbz wrote: »
    Nice app! Needs an option to not have to login as mentioned above removed as stated above and a storyboard for iPhone 6 screen size. Otherwise it's pretty good!

Thanks Willbbz,

I will definitely take the 'no login' into consideration and look into making it compatible with iPhone 6.

Cheers!

Blankety wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply Brian and best of luck with it but the forced login thing is probably something you could introduce when you have built a reputation and user base.
    Without a decent user base it will be difficult to build momentum, look at adverts it took 3 or 4 years before they could introduce charging for sales. But just my two cents worth, you have obviously put a lot more thought into the project than I have.
    If you change the forced login sometime in the future message back here and I'll try it out.

Thanks Blankety,

I understand what you are saying.
    I think I will look at the data that's coming in and then make a decision on how to proceed.

I haven't really thought about monetizing the app yet - I just had some free time and wanted to learn iOS/Android.

Thanks for the feedback - I will definitely give you a shout if we change our approach.

Brian

Downloaded it, registered and will keep it, looks good. You said you removed the ads but they are still there. Lets hope the bargains stay up to date. I would like to be able to create my own user name and not have my name taken from the beginning of my email address before the @, there is no option to change my user name or create one from the beginning.

You should also include an option to upload a picture so if we come across a money off coupon for a retail shop we can upload that.

Thanks deadimmortal,

I mentioned I was going to remove the ads - I haven't got around it just yet.
    Will probably release a new version of Xmas.

I hope the bargains stay up to date also. My next step is trying to convince users to post their own bargains. A few have but its not enough. Must try and prompt users to do it better.

Agreed on the username, again time constraints was the problem.
    Right now the app isn't very 'social' - so the username doesn't really matter. Hopefully the next version will promote the user more and I will allow users to change their username.

You should be able to add two types of bargains: online or nearby.
    Nearby allows you to add a picture and location - its for 'bricks and mortar' shops. Is it not working on your phone?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

pah wrote: »
    Repeatedly crashing for me after facebook login had to reinstall and register via email. galaxy note 3 running bobcatrom

Sorry about that pah - did it stay on Facebook or did it say 'Getting bargains' ?

Oh and if it asks you to send a crash report - do so. It will help me find/fix the problem.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Are both apps native or html?

Did you use xamarin or anything like that?

Both apps are completely native.
    No Xamarin, PhoneGap, etc.
    Rails backend.
    Are both apps native or html?

Did you use xamarin or anything like that?

Advertisement