Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small campervan / conversion for everyday use

Options
  • 05-08-2014 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for a small campervan as an everyday main vehicle and weekend camping , ideally a VW Caddy for fuel economy for 1 / 2 people max.

Can anyone give any advice on where to buy / what to look for and if the conversion kits have fitting instructions?

Finally, does anyone know of another specific forum for this topic?

Thanks in advance

Comments

A caddy sounds about right for ½ people :pac:, if you want to fit a whole one in there and any sort of payload I'd go for a Transporter minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Look for a Mazda Bongo Frendee (yes seriously that is the name) they should suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

think you should check these guys out

http://betterparts.org/photo/vw-caddy-tramper-09.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The only caddy size ones I've seen, would be Romahome's. Hard to envisage a home conversion tbh.

I'd say Transporter class is about as small as you go for a home conversion, and even then they may be issues with the height if you plan to register it as a camper - rather than just swap out seats for a seat bed in a passenger version (caravelle/ shuttle) and not bother re-registering/ insuring as a camper. Doesn't have to be a Transporter, but I'd say they are easiest to get camping bits for.

Bongo's are smaller, and I think one of the Hyundai's is professionally converted too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Bongo is very narrow due to japanese tax laws a couple of inches makes all the difference in a bed, I saw a lot of diminutive couples in small van conversions in france so I suppose it depends on the size of the OP and partner. There were tons of vito size conversions making use of the forest parks and picnic areas with height barriers. Scudo/vito/v220/dispatch would be far more comfortable I would imagine than a standard caddy but I've never seen inside a maxi caddy so that may be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

moodrater wrote: »
    A couple of inches makes all the difference in a bed,

Go on ya good thing fnar fnar fnar :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

that amdro thing is brilliant. good youtube video on that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

And probably not beyond the realm of a homebuild with a bit of DIY skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

The boot-jump is certainly well thoughtout but it's too much like camping for my taste. I'll stick to my Romahome.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

The boot-jump is certainly well thoughtout but it's too much like camping for my taste. I'll stick to my Romahome.:)

I think the Romahomes are fantastic for the size of them. I would buy one just to have it if I saw a nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

kfod wrote: »
    Pretty impressive, and a great day van. Anything longer than a night or two, I'd say you'd need the awning and/or a roof box.

btw after seeing them in action, I'd get an inflatable awning rather than a pole one.

btw2, if you're doing a DIY version - Ikea do foam mattresses. I successfully redid a rock and roll bed with one of them, and a cheap electric carving knife to cut it, for a fraction of the cost of buying pre-cut foam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

*Kol* wrote: »
    I think the Romahomes are fantastic for the size of them. I would buy one just to have it if I saw a nice one.

They are perfect for 1 or 2 people with the advantage that they fit in a normal car parking space.

Have a look at the Romahome owners web site. The range of modern ones is surprising.

romaclub.org.uk

Advertisement