Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Laptop

Options
  • 14-01-2009 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭

In the market for a new laptop. Mostly be used for internet, music, videos, media streaming, downloading and occasionally AutoCAD. I saw a Sony Vaio yesterday (possibly an AR) for €800 with approximately these specs:

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core T2390 (1.86 GHz and 533 MHz FSB)
    Memory: 2GB
    HD Capacity: 250GB
    Display: 17" WXGA+
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    BluRay Drive

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on this. I'd like a pretty fast laptop and the 17" screen is a big bonus due to CAD (and my current laptop has a 17" screen so I dont think I could go back to a smaller one). Must have media center too. If anyone has any other suggestions they'll be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

With AutoCAD, the graphics card is probably the second most important component.

Find out what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

i think its a NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT GPU 128MB.

I'll have to check at lunchtime though. I'm just going by specs I found on the internet, but I'm not 100% sure its the same laptop

okay, here are the full specs:

Product Description: Sony VAIO AR88E - Pentium Dual Core T2390 1.86 GHz - 17" TFT
    Dimensions (WxDxH): 41.6 cm x 30 cm x 3.4 cm
    Weight: 3.8 kg
    System Type: Notebook
    Built-in Devices: Stereo speakers, wireless LAN aerial
    Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core T2390 / 1.86 GHz ( Dual-Core )
    Cache Memory: 1 MB - L2 Cache
    RAM: 2 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR2 SDRAM - 533 MHz ( 2 x 1 GB )
    Card Reader: Yes
    Hard Drive: 250 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
    Optical Storage: DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - integrated
    Display: 17" TFT 1440 x 900 ( WXGA+ ) - X-black
    Graphics Controller: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT - 128 MB
    Audio Output: Sound card
    Telecom: Fax / modem
    Networking: Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g
    Notebook Camera: Integrated - 1.3 Megapixel
    Input Device: Keyboard, touchpad
    Battery: Lithium Ion
    Run Time (Up To): 1.9 hour(s)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

€800 sound fair enough to you guys? I was hoping for 4gb ram but may upgrade it if its not too costly. Dont know too much about it so could anyone give me approximate costs for doing so

think I'll go for it. If I think its too slow for me I'll just upgrade the RAM. Its just too shiny good a deal to miss. Cheers anyway people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

What version of AutoCAD are you running?

• Advertisement

2009, but if needs be I have a few of the previous versions too. Not a blind bit of difference between them really

I was thinking that the processor may be a bit under powered being a Pentium Dual Core rather than maybe Core 2 Duo. However, looking at the autocad website it just says Intel Dual Core processor 1.6GHz or greater. So it should be fine. Looks like a good price too.

In that case consider it purchased. Cheers lad

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Have a look for similar spec laptops for a better proce also, before you buy. And if getting one from dell use a voucher.
    I got my vostro laptop for 800 nearly a year ago with better graphics card, ram and processor. If this suits you though, by all means purchase.

You're welcome. You were askin about upgrading the RAM too. That should be very easy. Just a matter of going to www.crucial.com and choose your make model etc. Prices should be very reasonable. Bear in mind you could put in a total 4GB and the laptop would support it but the Vista Home Premium you are getting is probably the 32bit version so it would only see around 3.75 or 3.8GB. Not a big issue.

Edit: I see they give your 2GB in 2x1GB which means both slots will be full when you get it. To go to 4GB you are going to have to take those out and get 2x2GB.

• Advertisement

Tar.Aldarion makes a very good point.

Dell Vostro

Core 2 Duo 2.1GHz 3MB L2
    Vista Business SP1
    4GB RAM 250GB Hard Drive
    256MB GeForce 8600M GS €649+VAT (€788)

Add an Ultrasharp 1920x1200 panel for €110+VAT (extra screen real estate very handy for CAD)

ex. shipping

h8red wrote: »
    Tar.Aldarion makes a very good point.

Dell Vostro

Core 2 Duo 2.1GHz 3MB L2
    Vista Business SP1
    4GB RAM 250GB Hard Drive
    256MB GeForce 8600M GS €649+VAT (€788)

Add an Ultrasharp 1920x1200 panel for €110+VAT (extra screen real estate very handy for CAD)

ex. shipping

Just checked it out there, its not bad. But I think I'll go with the Vaio cos of Vista Home Premium rather than Vista Business, and I might be able to haggle a few things into the deal too, like Office 2007 for cheaper. Thanks anyway lads

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

G'luck with your computer, you can get the vaio in pink. Not a fan of home over business. Crappy media s/w vs h/w protection are the only differences I know.

Advertisement