Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motorcaravan club ireland

Options
  • 20-09-2007 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

i have just purchased my first motorhome ,is it neccessary to join camperclub of ireland to get insurance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

No, not with Dolmens anyway. I pay approx €330, fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

You could also try www.stuartinsurances.ie . You don't have to be a member there either and I pay around the same for a large 28ft motorhome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭madharry

thanks lads would u recomend joining motorcaravan club ireland anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Dont know if there is any benifit.....to be honest, I didnt even know that such a club exists

Can anybody tell me what they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There are two clubs:

The Irish Motorcaravanners Club http://www.imcc.ie/

and the Motorcaravanclub Ireland http://www.motorcaravanclub.net/

it' s a bit like this:
    BRIAN:
    Are you the Judean People's Front?

REG:
    **** off!

BRIAN:
    What?

REG:
    Judean People's Front. We're the People's Front of Judea! Judean People's Front. Cawk.
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

That pretty much sums them both up in my opnion:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Oh I want to go the the AGM......can I can I PLEASE

Sounds like it could be a bit of :D

Now, now ...

In all fairness, without those clubs there wouldn't be special motorhome insurance (the imcc got stuarts going and the other one persuaded Dolmen into providing special rates) and as far as I remember it was the IMMC that negotiated the special VRT rate of 13.5% (instead of 30 or so) with the taxman.

Credit where credit is due !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Motorcaravan club also has a booklet available to members only listing "wild" camping spots and pubs which allow motorhomes to overnight in their carparks. I'd imagine thats quite useful but €70 membership is a little too steep for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

There's lots of clubs out there but no obligation to join.
    As loobylou points out,The Motor Caravan club www.motorcaravanclub.net have a "Tavern trail" whis is quiet good I believe but there is an extra charge for it. They have one event per year, a telephone number where there is help at hand if needed. There is no AGM's etc like you'd normally expect from a club.
    The IMCC www.imcc.ie seem to have a a good calendar of events, AGMs etc. Similiar to the above.
    The Irich camping and caravanning club www.ICCC.ie appear to be quiet active. Lots of events and the club also owns some land in Wicklow for use bu members.
    Then there is The Caravan Club. WWW.caravanclub.co.uk It's a UK club with various branches. They have a Leinster, Munster and Ulster brance. Lots of weekends away, monthly magazine and various discounts throughout Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I have open drive insurance on my motorhome as I share it with a family member. It's also useful for when you are going on trips with friends... to share the driving.

Anyay, I can't remember which club I rang but they wouldn't let me join as I had open drive. Essentially I was told "we dont' want people like you". What? do they think I'll loan out my motorhome to somebody who'll do handbrake turns in it and give the club a bad name???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Hi 3PS, could you advise me who you are insured with to allow you open drive. Ive been with Dolmen for the last three years. When i spoke with them last to enquire about other drivers they told me that they only cover one/two drivers i.e. myself and hubbie and if i was going to let anyone else drive my motorhome i would have to ring and give them the details of the other driver/drivers to put on my Insurance and also if required they may request a copy of the front and back of their licence otherwise they are not covered on just their own car licence i.e. my dad couldnt get in and drive my motorhome. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

Hi Sandyg,

I'm with Dolmen too! Open Drive basically means that anyone over 30, with clean EU driving licence can drive it. I wasn't aware of any stipulations on having to produce additional documentation.

At the moment if I want anybody age 27-30 to drive it I have to pay and add them on for about 50euros or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I'm with Dolmen and I have open-drive too. I rang up and had a second named driver added to my policy this year - I think the cost was €30 or something. Then I rang them again a few weeks later to enquire about a 3rd named driver and the person said it would be cheaper to have open-drive.

Cheaper and a whole lot more practical of course . . .

I didn't know they did open drive and would have gone for it previously if I knew it was on offer. I think the cost was something like €50. Bargain.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Thanks for your input!! I must ring them and enquire about changing my policy to open drive. They never mentioned it to me when i was changing my motorhome recently. Typical!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭derden

Anyone got the number of dolman?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

I'm insured via the Motorcaravan Club with Richardson Insurance and have 4 family members named as drivers at no extra cost, just provide their drivers licence back and front.

I have found the MCC most helpful with a range of advice and assistance for various issues.

In the case of a third party dispute as to what was a good repair job or not I was put in touch with an expert member who gave his advice for free.

When seeking sources for equipment and equipment installation advice I was provided with various contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

How much is insurance with Richardson Insurance via the Motorcaravan Club?

Benbecul97 wrote: »

€350 the first 3 years I had a major claim then, an accident abroad which was dealt with promptly and I lost my NCB and it went to €650 and it's coming back down now.

• Advertisement

Benbecul97 wrote: »

Contact betty.fry@ril.ie for information

Advertisement