Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

52 Tele vs Stnd

Options
  • 14-12-2004 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Gonna buy a tele and I was thinking about getting the '52 based on reputation etc. Guy in shop said its not as got as the current standard, the front pickup is a bit bassy and tuning problems and other stuff. Im not bothered about the name, I just want the guitar that sounds better. Considering the '52 is an extra 800 quid too is it worth it? Also, seems to make sense to me that they can make better guitars now than they could in 1952. Has anyone any experience with the 2?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

TBH, find a shop with the two and do an A/B Comparision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭sroberts82

Im left handed, try finding a shop that has a standard l/h tele let alone a 52.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭sroberts82

And even if i was to bring a right handed guy with me, shops simply dont stock '52s.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Ah right. Got any links to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

72 thinline tele looks the business!! not sure how it sounds tho... but who care when it looks that good!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

I'd say go for a used one over the net. Not eBay neccessarily but rather a proper guitar shop. Used is the key though to save. Save youself some on these guitars. THaey are not fender but as you said (sensibly) you are not too concerned with the brand. Fender have pretty good quality control on the USA guitars so I would buy unseen if I could save big money. The '52 teles are way too expensive in town at something like €1750!!

Check these out:

G&L ASAT Special .. ok its hard to find L/H used!

G&L Asat Bluesbay Again new but much nicer for the money than the Fender '52 I'd reckon... build and finsh wise

I couldnt find any suitable fenders L/H. Its a big dissadvantage in the used market.

By the way the '52 and the American series guitar are VERY different. The '52 has a more radiused fretboard, smaller fretwire, vintage electronics + pickups, a V-shaped neck profile, different machineheads, a three saddle bridge and only the choice of ash for the body as well as only the choice of maple for the fingerboard. The two guitars are different in every respect!! I'm surprised the slaes rep didnt mention this to you. They probably wanted to make the sale there and thenm instead of waiting for the '52 to come in :) . Well, It wasnt a bad reccomendation but he/she didnt give you much information it would seem.

It really depends on what you are after. If you want vintage tones get the '52, if you are a modern player and want a faster neck with more ease in string bending and better intonation (debate of tone Vs. intonation begins here!) and more modern pickups thenn I'd go for the American series model. Dont get confused though, one is part of the "American Vintage" series ('52) and the other is part of the "American" series. They are both still USA guitars if you get what I mean.

I think the prices on '52's here are too high. They are nice but not worth those sums. For most tastes I reccommend the Fender Ameican model or even better, a used Anderson Hollow or regular Classic or nice G&L ASAT if you are right handed as they are easier to find. There is so much choice when you go used at the €1100-€1400 mark.

All depends on what sort of music you play and feel you like. Hard to find L/H guitars on the net so you may not have luck there. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

newband wrote:
    72 thinline tele looks the business!! not sure how it sounds tho... but who care when it looks that good!!:D

Yes sir - that's my main guitar. I play the vintage one, not the reissue, and it sounds like a Gibson! :D It's got no Tele sound characteristics except for the look (bar the humbuckers & the f-hole) and the feel.

Advertisement