Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows X2daP Validation Failure

Options
  • 06-01-2009 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi Guys, I a Noobie, and this is my 1st post, so please bear with me if I have posted in the wrong place.

A couple of weeks ago, I agreed to a pop up update for XP. So I clicked it and it installed and proceeded to tell me that my product key was invalid.
    The Pc isn't new, and I bought it from a friend, who had lost evry bit of documentation and the system discs.
    Windows are now generously offering to sell me a valid key for the fair price of 150 euros. Yeah right, I cannot afford that, and if my copy of windows was counterfeit, they are trying to make money off it.
    Its WGA Win. Genuine Advantage. I have tried to remove it by terminating it running thru task manager but it warns that it could damage the pc.

Does any1 have an idea what my options are? Is it possible to eh...cough...download one? I've heard that cracked software is riddled with creepy crawlies.
    And last but not leaset. It resets my desktop evry time I power off. Black Screen comes up with WGA. Apologies for the rant. and my life story.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Its possible the pc was sold to you without a valid windows license, is there a License key sticker on the side of the machine? If there is contact microsoft who will assist you if its a mistake,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dante1979

yoyo wrote: »
    Its possible the pc was sold to you without a valid windows license, is there a License key sticker on the side of the machine? If there is contact microsoft who will assist you if its a mistake,

Nick

I bought the Pc from a family member, and it has the original sticker, but.......before he gave it to me the drive was wiped and a system restore was done. Because this family member would lose his head if it hadn't been stapled on in his youth, he lost the original discs. So as far as I know, a new disc was used.
    Do you think its possible to contact Microsoft, give them the number and they will assume that its the same version?

Many thanks for your reply

Dan

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Dante1979 wrote: »
    I bought the Pc from a family member, and it has the original sticker, but.......before he gave it to me the drive was wiped and a system restore was done. Because this family member would lose his head if it hadn't been stapled on in his youth, he lost the original discs. So as far as I know, a new disc was used.
    Do you think its possible to contact Microsoft, give them the number and they will assume that its the same version?

Many thanks for your reply

Dan

Sounds like when it was re-formatted a unlicensed version of windows may have been used, see what microsoft have to say though, sometimes I've heard they will give people a free license if their case sounds genuine, if not and you really need a free OS, Ubuntu Linux would be a user friendly linux option you could use instead

Nick

Advertisement