Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reversed over my guitar

• 06-12-2004 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever drive over a guitar.
    Reversed over my Ibanez AXS32 a few days ago. Luckily(?), I just ran over the headstock, so it's sill playable. The action has started to rise though as the headstock nearly broke in two. The tension in the strings is pulling it forward. And the tuning is a bit off. It's a bastard because I wasn't intending to buy a new guitar for at least a few years, and I'm just after joining a band.

So, anyone else ever damage/write-off their instruments?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Ouch, that ain't gonna be cheap to repair. It can be done though. Is it a painted neck???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Phil_321 wrote:
    Anyone ever drive over a guitar.
    Reversed over my Ibanez AXS32 a few days ago. Luckily(?), I just ran over the headstock, so it's sill playable. The action has started to rise though as the headstock nearly broke in two. The tension in the strings is pulling it forward. And the tuning is a bit off. It's a bastard because I wasn't intending to buy a new guitar for at least a few years, and I'm just after joining a band.

So, anyone else ever damage/write-off their instruments?

how the feck did u manage that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Firstly, take the strings off asap. Seriously, whatever damage you did with the car, you're going to do more by leaving the strings on. Get it to a luthier, such as Derreck Nelson. Don't poke about at it. It may be able to be fixed relatively cheaply, but you've got to take the strings off and get it checked out.

TBH, if the break is at the headstock, the best way to fix it to break off the headstock :o

Depends on the break. If it's clean it could be quite straightforward to repair.

• Advertisement

If the crack has begun on the neck and it's visible and it causing the action to raise and the guitar to go out of tune, it's not a simple fix.

But we don't know that for sure. To a luthier with that guitar, I say! Post haste! :D

But we do know the string tension is pulling the head forwards and putting it out of tune. If it's not on the neck, just on the head, that'll be probably harder and more expensive to fix (new wood for the head, repsray the face, new decal)

But we don't know by how much. To the luthier!

I'm figuring at least €200

And the resale value of the guitar has gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

how the feck did u manage that?
    Had the guitar standing up against the side of the car, while the drummer who was going to take it in the front seat with him went back inside his house to get a jacket. I forgot about the guitar(I was on painkillers, so the head wasn't operating at 100%) and thought I might as well reverse the car around while I was waiting for him. When I was reversing it I heard a kind of clattering noise, and I thought some of the drummer's kit had fallen in the back seat. Only when the drummer came running over and banging the car did I realise something was severly wrong.......
    It was such a pointless thing to happen, it's at times like that, that you realise there is no God.

I think the neck is unaffected, thankfully, I would have gone into shock if I'd seen a snapped neck. I'll post a pic of the damage when I get home.
    Where would I find that Derreck Nelson guy, Doctor J. Would you have a phone no. for him?

Never knew you could fix a headstock....Hopefully I can get it sorted, cos I have zero cash to spend on a new guitar at present.

You can basically fix anything on a guitar. Hopefully you'll be lucky with this Derreck Nelson guy. Some luthiers won't even touch a broken headstock.

Derrick works from Marlay Park in Dublin, his number is 01 4942741. I saw the work he did on a Les Paul which was left sitting on a chair, went flying, cracked headstock and neck. The damage was undetectable afterwards.

Which no doubt will be sold without telling the buyer the neck was repaired.

This was back in 93. I imagine the guitar has long since been passed on :D

And that wouldn't piss you off? Buying a guitar for the full price and finding out afterwards that it was repaired?

Oh big time. But the guy probably never found out, it was an excellent repair. Buying second hand is always a gamble, there are low fooookers out there who will always try and pull a fast one. That, sadly, is just the way of the world and seemingly has been since folks went around saying Caveat Emptor

And you wonder why I don't want to buy second hand...

Nope, I've much better things to occupy my thoughts ;)

Like what to buy next?

• Advertisement

At the moment, it's what to sell ;)

Same here. But I sell to buy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

Thanks for that number Doc, I'll contact that guy at the weekend when I'm free.

Advertisement