Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LPI Exams 101 and 102

Options
  • 26-09-2014 3:24pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Swung the above exams for free. The joys of keeping my ear to the ground. Has anyone done the exams, how did you find them and do they have any credibility in the working world?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Itzy wrote: »
    Swung the above exams for free. The joys of keeping my ear to the ground. Has anyone done the exams, how did you find them and do they have any credibility in the working world?

I've taken and passed them. I've not tested the market with them as I'm not planning on moving anywhere. I have got messages from recruiters on LinkedIn for *nix jobs though so they're clearly helping with keyword searches. I did pick up some stuff while studying for it which has come in useful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I have a decent working knowledge of Linux and the current job has given me exposure to other closed source distributions such as HP-UX. So I'm pretty intent on taking and passing the exams. I have VMware so I can run a few servers and brush up on skills where needed without the fear of breaking anything.

If the LPI exams do help in generating more interest, I may pursue a few other certifications. I know I need to book a few CompTIA exams as well as a few Oracle exams.

I have a decent working knowledge of Linux and the current job has given me exposure to other closed source distributions such as HP-UX. So I'm pretty intent on taking and passing the exams. I have VMware so I can run a few servers and brush up on skills where needed without the fear of breaking anything.

If the LPI exams do help in generating more interest, I may pursue a few other certifications. I know I need to book a few CompTIA exams as well as a few Oracle exams.

Just fyi, lpi1 = comptia Linux+. You get both cents if you pass. I'm tempted to do lpi2 but I think rhcsa is probably a better route

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

An LPI and CompTIA Linux+ Cert? I actually like the look of the LPI path, but I can go down another own also.

RHCE Looks like something of interest aswell. The exams aren't cheap though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Well done Itsy, don't suppose there's still a way to score the exams for free or that you could pass it on?

An LPI and CompTIA Linux+ Cert? I actually like the look of the LPI path, but I can go down another own also.

I do too, however one of the limiting factors right now for me going for it is the lack of resources out there for it compared to the red hat RHCSA cert. From looking at the syllabus I reckon LPI2 is not as advanced as RHCSA so could be a stepping stone towards it if work are paying for it.

Well I would like to pursue the LPI certification path as a stepping stone to an RHCSA and RHCSE certification. I'm a developer by training and profession, but the additional education will certainly be of benefit.

If anyone wants a contact for the course, he can add people to the list for the LPI Certification Exams. It's being planned for the 15th of November in Dublin.

I may have to browse the CentOS Forums for a Driver for the VM that I can copy across and install. I have no idea how I'll do that in the CLI version though :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭asgaard

If anyone wants a contact for the course, he can add people to the list for the LPI Certification Exams. It's being planned for the 15th of November in Dublin.
    Have You got any link for such a course?

LPI Courses This seems to be the only course I can find for Ireland at the moment. I was studying for the LPI course on my own time and it was made easier by the fact that I use Linux everyday in work and I run Linux as my only OS at home on my laptop.

Sadly, I can't do the exam this time around, as I have commitments this weekend and bills to pay for an up and coming wedding next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

If you haven't already booked the exam don't sit the LPI ones!.
    Sit the Linux+ (Powered by LPI exams) which are essentially the same thing.

If you pass the Linux+ exams (LX0-101 and LX0-102) you will gain 3 certifications - Linux+, LPI Level 1 certified and Suse certified linux professional.Linux+. If you sit the LPI exams you will only gain 1 certification.

You don't really need to do a course for LPI, you can pass it easily using online resources. I highly recommend https://linuxacademy.com/. They have an LPI course with labs and practice questions. They also give you cloud virtual machines to play around with. Its dead handy. If you ace the Linux academy course, you will breeze through the actual exam. Linux academy charge $25 a month but its well worth it. It's the only resource you will need.

Feelgood wrote: »
    If you haven't already booked the exam don't sit the LPI ones!.
    Sit the Linux+ (Powered by LPI exams) which are essentially the same thing.

If you pass the Linux+ exams (LX0-101 and LX0-102) you will gain 3 certifications - Linux+, LPI Level 1 certified and Suse certified linux professional.Linux+. If you sit the LPI exams you will only gain 1 certification.

You don't really need to do a course for LPI, you can pass it easily using online resources. I highly recommend https://linuxacademy.com/. They have an LPI course with labs and practice questions. They also give you cloud virtual machines to play around with. Its dead handy. If you ace the Linux academy course, you will breeze through the actual exam. Linux academy charge $25 a month but its well worth it. It's the only resource you will need.
    I was thinking about one week daytime course in Cork, but when i went through all pages on the last one it stated about only one exam LPI LPIC-1 101 so basically all my plans stopped. I've started to look around for Linux + course. What your thoughts about online course and how long does it take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

You will have to do two exams, wherever you go to get fully certified.
    Have you tried eCollege?
    http://www.ecollege.ie/site/pages/courses/modules/compLinux101/compLinux101.html

excollier wrote: »
    You will have to do two exams, wherever you go to get fully certified.
    Have you tried eCollege?
    http://www.ecollege.ie/site/pages/courses/modules/compLinux101/compLinux101.html
    Not yet, will have a look, but i prefer daytime or evening and online would be the last option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

asgaard wrote: »
    I was thinking about one week daytime course in Cork, but when i went through all pages on the last one it stated about only one exam LPI LPIC-1 101 so basically all my plans stopped. I've started to look around for Linux + course. What your thoughts about online course and how long does it take?

Linux Academy has everything you need, notes, videos and virtual machines.
    Its the only resource you will need to pass the Linux+ Exams. Sign up for 7 days and have a look around, see what you think for yourself.

There are 2 exams you need to pass Linux+ (Powered by LPI) certified.

LX0 - 101:
    The videos on Linux Academy are 26 hours. Couple that in with another 30 hours for labs and around 20 studying for the exam. If you have a little bit of Linux knowledge you might find you know some of the stuff already. The first exam is heavily based around command line knowledge and command flags.
    Know the commands inside out. If you have a bit of time to study this you can do it in around 4-6 weeks online.

LX0 - 102:
    The videos for this exam are 30 hours again with labs and study, around another 50 hours. Personally I found this the harder of the 2 exams because there is a lot of network and security related topics on this one, but its quite interesting. This should take no longer than 6-8 weeks to achieve.

Linux academy is $25 a month, so it would cost you around $75 for 3 months access with virtual machines on tap. Not a bad deal at all. I can't speak highly enough of these guys. They also have a forum where you can ask questions and they get back to you extremely quickly

Advertisement