Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor for Newly created files - HP-UX

Options
  • 13-10-2014 10:52am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have been looking and still am Googling for a method to return the name and path of a newly generated file in HP-UX. Want to create a script that will out put the result to a file, so I can grab it later on.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Brain is in overdrive. Found a quick solution:
    find /folder type f -mtime 1 >> /folder/newFiles.log

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

Itzy wrote: »
    Brain is in overdrive. Found a quick solution:

I think it should be -type

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Makes no odds. Works as I've quoted above.

EDIT: For some strange reason, commands are slightly different on HP-UX versus newer distributions, so what runs on HP-UX won't work on RHEL and vice versa.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Once upon a time, every box maker had their own variety of unix. Software in unix was still considered much more portable because they were all built on C so you usually just had to recompile!! They tried to standardise and created the posix standard but then linux came and now there are really just two varieties to contend with, debian & redhat... well maybe slackware is a third. But all those varieties are mostly of configuration & filesystems structures, they're all using the same kernels and, importantly in this case, the same gnu tools/commands.

My guess is, in this case, one system is posix compliant and one is not!

Advertisement