Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Portal for Organization's Intranet

Options
  • 18-02-2015 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me anything, or offer general advice on how to write/design
    a web portal for an organisation's intranet

Its main purpose is to:
    • Provide information on a particular practice
    • Include a section
    • Have links to relevant policy documents
    • Enable the user to access the internet to search a particular website.

Main thing I'd like to know is what language I'd need to know to do this.

And yeah, I know it sounds insane. However I've experience with HTML and a load of time to do this.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Criticise the post, not the poster, please.

But yes, BlutendeRabe, you'll need to come up with some ideas on how long your particular piece of string is, and narrow down your requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

KonFusion wrote: »
    Criticise the post, not the poster, please.

But yes, BlutendeRabe, you'll need to come up with some ideas on how long your particular piece of string is, and narrow down your requirements.

Thank you for the polite answer for a total newbie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

First thing I suggest is that you understand what requirements actually mean, because it's clear that you cut and pasted them from somewhere and don't have a breeze otherwise. For example, the second point was "include a section" - what does that mean? Include a section on something you didn't manage to cut and paste? The ability to include a new section? Something else?

Then you have to define if the intranet will be dynamic; that is will an administrator be able to add, delete or change those links to relevant policy documents, for example? Or are those links to be hard-coded forever (or until they pay someone like you to change them)?

Ideally it would be, as you describe it, dynamic. Btw I'm not being paid for this. And to clarify I don't have a background in computer science, so please excuse any glaringly obvious mistakes on my part.

[QOUTE]
    Without understanding what the actual requirements are, the whole thing could be written with just client-side HTML. Or require server-side scripting technologies (e.g. PHP, C#, etc).

Thank you for answering my question, eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Thank you for answering my question, eventually.
    I didn't. I suggested how you'd go about getting an actual answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Having worked on intranets before, I would have to say that getting the scope right at the start will be very important. Things can spiral out very quickly.

After one complicated PHP/MySQL intranet build, I decided to see if I could create a self-maintaining web application that would serve its purpose, without the complication that comes with database-driven applications. So, I configured a network share with permissions for certain users to drop files into it - I wrote a PHP script to loop through the share and display the contents in a readable vanity-like format (Got rid of symbols and file extensions, and then link to the actual content) on a webpage (with internal folders in the share acting as categories) and it works pretty well. Updatable by staff and has search, sorting and grouping features, and all with no database, administration or users \o/

Looking back on the complex build and the quick build, I would be quick to say that I learned an awful lot both times. So, I guess it all boils down to some metrics; the specs of the project; what you know; what you want to know; how much time you have and what you want to achieve. It could be as small as a website or as big as a complete ground-to-roof build. If you are in a different sector in the organisation, this could be your chance to learn something new and get some kudos for doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Did you looked at SharePoint option !?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

rolion wrote: »
    Did you looked at SharePoint option !?

That has to be the worst autocorrect ever, do you realise whatever it was you typed actually came out as Sharepoint? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Graham wrote: »
    That has to be the worst autocorrect ever, do you realise whatever it was you typed actually came out as Sharepoint? :eek:

Never actually used Sharepoint but will have an option to in the future - Is it that bad?

Advertisement